Notre Dame at Michigan, Thursday- Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame at Michigan, Thursday- Friday

Instead of burying this game discussions into team threads, here you go.

Not supersicious anymore- our team plays good and bad regardless of who starts a thread or even a thread...

Michigan is struggling- 4-4-1 may be .500, but one of the worst defenses in the nation isn't being all offset by one of the best offenses in the nation. Worst part is weak defensive play, which bad passing and blind dumping is part of. Some of that can be pointed toward the forewards not being someplace useful in the D zone.

The offensive zone is fun to watch- many of the freshmen are adding to the team. It's a shame that they are struggling again on the PP- since the 5-5 play is pretty good.

Goalies are a toss up- it's really hard to say who is better, since the gaffes are in front of both Racine and Rutledge.

Anyway, since there's a home FB game on Saturday, we have a Thursday- Friday game set up. If you are coming for both games, I have a suggestion for Friday morning breakast...

Re: Notre Dame at Michigan, Thursday- Friday

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    ...It's a shame that they are struggling again on the PP...
    North of 20% on the PP is "struggling?!" How should I describe ND's PP then?! I'd kill for my team to "struggle" like that...
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      North of 20% on the PP is "struggling?!" How should I describe ND's PP then?! I'd kill for my team to "struggle" like that...
      Don't be decieved by one or two good games. If you had watched the Friday Miami game, you would think it's good. By the next night, and this past weekends, well... not so much. Watching them Friday was painful against State, and the little I could stand to watch Saturday- more of the same- dump in, let the d dump it right back out. Or IF you get the puck, slow cycle so that it can be challenged easily, resulting in either a turn over or a shot against some legs most of the time.

The team isn't in sync, yet. sometimes, sure. But not where we need to be, especially against Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        ... more of the same- dump in, let the d dump it right back out. Or IF you get the puck, slow cycle so that it can be challenged easily, resulting in either a turn over or a shot against some legs most of the time.

The team isn't in sync, yet. sometimes, sure.
        Wait a minute... I thought you were a Michigan fan?! You just described Notre Dame. Completely. These games will either be legendarily great...or sickeningly bad.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I think Notre Dame is gonna sweep this one. Unless Michigan sweeps it. Or is could be a split.

But certainly both games will be close. Unless Michigan takes advantage of what looked like a pretty slow Notre Dame defensive corps our last game. Then again Notre Dame's power play may finally wake up and if Michigan's defense continues to slumber we could put up quite a few behind either of the Wolverine rookie netminders. Who am I kidding, our power play will probably be the keystone cops routine (how old am I?) that it's been so far this season, aimlessly flailing about, shooting pucks into the the end boards, stands, or the various body parts of Michigan defenders. Of course if that happens, perhaps we can take advantage of the Michigan players laughing themselves silly while they try to figure out how players as highly recruited as ours could possibly be that bad in such a fundamental aspect of the game.

Maybe we let this one come down to a shootout with Jackson in net and Red on skates. But your guy did once score 6 goals in an NHL game and ours failed to make the varsity squad in his days at MSU. Of course with Berenson being nearly 20 years older and goalie gear 20 times bigger than in the old days, maybe I do like our chances there.

What is completely predictable is these points are going to be huge. With only one team managing a sweep so far this CCHA season it doesn't seem likely that either of these teams will be able to pull one off.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
            I think Notre Dame is gonna sweep this one. Unless Michigan sweeps it. Or is could be a split.
            Way to go out on a limb.

Comment

So, defense is a problem for both teams? This could be an ugly series. Or is it just that both fanbases have come to expect much from their teams?

I have no idea what to think of this Michigan team after last weekend's 5-1 win (which didn't look as good as the score) and then 7-2 loss (which looked at least as bad as the score).

Maybe we let this one come down to a shootout with Jackson in net and Red on skates. But your guy did once score 6 goals in an NHL game and ours failed to make the varsity squad in his days at MSU. Of course with Berenson being nearly 20 years older and goalie gear 20 times bigger than in the old days, maybe I do like our chances there.
              Having seen Berenson in recent alumni games...I would predict a Michigan sweep if that's how we decide the games. I'd still like the teams to play, because that's fun to watch. But maybe afterwards, we can decide the points this way?
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                So, defense is a problem for both teams?
                Not for Notre Dame. ND has the #3 defense in the country and the #7 PK. It's the other side of the ice that's the conundrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                  Not for Notre Dame. ND has the #3 defense in the country and the #7 PK. It's the other side of the ice that's the conundrum.
                  OK...so we'll have ND's ineffective offense vs UM's lousy defense. And UM's decent offense vs a good ND defense. Hmm....I'll predict a 1-1 tie for Thursday. No prediction for Friday.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                    OK...so we'll have ND's ineffective offense vs UM's lousy defense. And UM's decent offense vs a good ND defense. Hmm....I'll predict a 1-1 tie for Thursday. No prediction for Friday.
                    Lots of play at center ice.

Comment

Any ideas if the UM staff is beginning to lean towards Racine getting the bulk of the playing time in net? Statistics don't necessarily tell the whole story, but with both goalies getting a decent look, Racine's W/L and GAA numbers are clearly better. I can't imagine both of the guys struggling all season, and the CCHA has a history of freshman goalies ending up looking pretty good. My guess is this has all the looks of settling down quite nicely by the second half , especially with Merrill coming back to settle things down even more.

Comment

My prediction: Irish sweep. At worst a wih and a tie, but we get more points overall (4 or 5). Let's go!

Comment

Any ideas if the UM staff is beginning to lean towards Racine getting the bulk of the playing time in net? Statistics don't necessarily tell the whole story, but with both goalies getting a decent look, Racine's W/L and GAA numbers are clearly better. I can't imagine both of the guys struggling all season, and the CCHA has a history of freshman goalies ending up looking pretty good. My guess is this has all the looks of settling down quite nicely by the second half , especially with Merrill coming back to settle things down even more.
                          Except for a couple of early games, the GA problem isn't really on the goalie- the d is leaving both of them out high and dry. Both have looked good, and both have let in goals they should have not. I suspect that Racine will start tonight, and tomorrow will be based on today.

Neither of them have really stolen some goals, they made some good saves, but just as much were fooled badly. Between the defensive play being bad, and the goalies not standing on their heads- we are in pretty sorry shape at this point.

Comment

Mario Lucia to play tonight for the Irish. Yeehaw!

Comment

Irish win 3-1. Alright, alright, alright. Now let's go for the sweep.

Comment

Working...
                              X