Ohio State vs Wisconsin 11/16 - 11/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Wisconsin 11/16 - 11/17

The Buckeyes have a bye week this weekend, so I am early on this thread. But then, it's not too early to start a thread about this series. This is another big series for our Buckeyes as it is another opportunity to show that we're a legitimate contender for a spot in the top four somewhere. Wisconsin is not last year's Wisconsin team (obviously), but they are still Wisconsin and they still have talented players. The big challenge for OSU, IMHO, will be trying to score goals on Alex Rigsby, who I feel is probably the second best goalie in the league behind Noora Raty. Wisconsin has had problems scoring goals recently. The question is, will the Buckeyes D be able to shut Wisconsin down? Both games are going to be played in the big arena (Schottenstein Center). Not sure what kind of atmosphere we are going to have playing those games in a 17,500-seat arena, but it will be neat seeing the girls get to play there. Wisconsin fans, let's hear about your team and your expectations coming in. Safe travels to all those making the trip down!

Re: Ohio State vs Wisconsin 11/16 - 11/17

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    The Buckeyes have a bye week this weekend, so I am early on this thread. But then, it's not too early to start a thread about this series... Both games are going to be played in the big arena (Schottenstein Center). Not sure what kind of atmosphere we are going to have playing those games in a 17,500-seat arena, but it will be neat seeing the girls get to play there.
    The early start gives us an opportunity to discuss venue and scheduling issues.

First, the venue. Of course the Schott will "work." It's an NHL quality facility, and it will be a privilege to play there. We've done this once before, although you have to turn back the clock all the way to the very first exhibition game in the inaugural season. On that day only a small percentage of the seats were filled, but the atmosphere was just fine. And yet launching something brand new is a highly atypical situation. The first occasion was also a Football Saturday. No doubt we had a number of curiousity seekers from the football crowd attend a portion of our game. Conversely, that event was over a decade ago. So we should once again be helped by the novelty factor, at least for the Saturday game.

I am a little concerned about the atmosphere for Friday. To the best of my recollection, the program has never had a home game during the traditional work week, meaning M-F, 8:00 - 5:00. Yes, we've some Friday daytime games at Thanksgiving and New Year's. But that's self-evidently a different situation. In any event, playing a pivotal game in an empty building could be the result. That's potentially a major drawback.

Other programs have hosted games in this timeslot. St. Cloud comes to mind. Perhaps Wisconsin has as well. If you've experienced this, how did it turn out? Was it an acceptable situation?

Yet another factor is giving up familiar ice and boards for a pivotal series. Be it ever so humble, the Ice Rink has always been our home for both practice and games -- with only the one ancient exception. Are we making a mistake giving up the familiar setting for pivotal games? Again, perhaps Badger fans can comment. I know you guys move back and forth from Kohl Center to Eagles Nest. Has this proven to be a disadvantage in any way? Or is the "home cooking" pretty much the same at either ice sheet?

Comment

osualum86 and pgb-ohio, do either of you know why they decided to move the game to the Schottenstein Center? I can see how it does make it more of a nuetral ice series, which I'm sure suits the Badgers just fine.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        The early start gives us an opportunity to discuss venue and scheduling issues.

First, the venue. Of course the Schott will "work." It's an NHL quality facility, and it will be a privilege to play there. We've done this once before, although you have to turn back the clock all the way to the very first exhibition game in the inaugural season. On that day only a small percentage of the seats were filled, but the atmosphere was just fine. And yet launching something brand new is a highly atypical situation. The first occasion was also a Football Saturday. No doubt we had a number of curiousity seekers from the football crowd attend a portion of our game. Conversely, that event was over a decade ago. So we should once again be helped by the novelty factor, at least for the Saturday game.

I am a little concerned about the atmosphere for Friday. To the best of my recollection, the program has never had a home game during the traditional work week, meaning M-F, 8:00 - 5:00. Yes, we've some Friday daytime games at Thanksgiving and New Year's. But that's self-evidently a different situation. In any event, playing a pivotal game in an empty building could be the result. That's potentially a major drawback.

Other programs have hosted games in this timeslot. St. Cloud comes to mind. Perhaps Wisconsin has as well. If you've experienced this, how did it turn out? Was it an acceptable situation?

Yet another factor is giving up familiar ice and boards for a pivotal series. Be it ever so humble, the Ice Rink has always been our home for both practice and games -- with only the one ancient exception. Are we making a mistake giving up the familiar setting for pivotal games? Again, perhaps Badger fans can comment. I know you guys move back and forth from Kohl Center to Eagles Nest. Has this proven to be a disadvantage in any way? Or is the "home cooking" pretty much the same at either ice sheet?
        I agree the Schott will "work." I was more concerned with the afternoon start on Friday and how many fans will miss out due to that start time. Mrs 86 and I made arrangements so we will be there. Unfortunately, we have another committment for Saturday's game, so we will miss that one. Now that you bring it up, you do have to wonder if the familiarity of the OSU Ice Rink vs the Schott will be a factor. I know the girls normally practice in the OSU Ice Rink. Hopefully they will get an opportunity to practice at the Schott a couple times.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          osualum86 and pgb-ohio, do either of you know why they decided to move the game to the Schottenstein Center? I can see how it does make it more of a nuetral ice series, which I'm sure suits the Badgers just fine.
          I honestly have no idea. At first I thought they were maybe going for a womens/mens doubleheader but the womens games start at 2:07 and the mens games start at 7:05, so that is not really the case. I'm not sure that would work anyway since the womens games are free whereas tickets are needed for mens games. The football team is on the road at Wisconsin that weekend (11/17), so it's not a home football situation. Your guess is as good as mine as to why these games are being played at the Schott. Interesting, I see on the schedule that we are doing this two more times for series against UMD 1/25-1/26 and Minnesota State 2/22-2/23.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            osualum86 and pgb-ohio, do either of you know why they decided to move the game to the Schottenstein Center? I can see how it does make it more of a neutral ice series, which I'm sure suits the Badgers just fine.
            First of all, the Schott is on the OSU Campus. It's the home of OSU Men's Hockey. So it really isn't a neutral site in any sense. What we're talking about is the possibility of a reduced home ice advantage. In Minnesota terms, it would be analogous to moving a game from Ridder to Mariucci -- as opposed to moving from Ridder to the X.

As for the underlying reasoning, I don't have any inside knowledge of that. At the same time, it isn't hard to see why the program would be interested in the possibility. As previously indicated, the Schott would fit in just fine in the NHL. It has, in fact, hosted an NHL Exhibition game -- pre-Nationwide Arena -- as well as the 2005 Men's Frozen Four. In sharp contrast, the OSU Ice Rink is more like a local community rink. Post-renovation, it's been a perfectly acceptable facility; no longer the handicap it was to the Men's program back in the '90s. But it simply doesn't have the amenities of the Schott.

Now staging a game at the Schott isn't cheap. And if you book hockey games there, that means losing prime dates for concerts and other profitable events. Again I have nothing official to report, but I'm sure it's no coincidence that the Wisconsin games are both part of day/night doubleheaders with the Men's program. '86 is correct that there is a gap between games, likely so that the building can be cleared prior to the Men's games. Nevertheless, the salient fact is that even if the Women's games were being held at the Ice Rink, the Schott would still have been booked for hockey on the weekends in question. So it becomes possible for the Women to play at the Schott for only a modest additional cost, and without losing any non-hockey opportunities.

Again, I'd be very interested to hear how other schools have experienced having two separate home rinks.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              Again, I'd be very interested to hear how other schools have experienced having two separate home rinks.
              RIT did it for the first time this year with both the men and the women playing at Rochesters Blue Cross Arena (home of the Rochester Americans). It was not an apples to apples comparison in that Blue Cross is in downtown Rochester and Ritter is on campus but it didn't really present any issues for the players. There was a great deal of hype for the women's team as it was the first time they have played downtown. The men have been going for a few years. There were about 1500 people (guessng) for the womens game and it was definitely a one sided cheering section. 1500 people at Ritter arena is very noticeable from a players perspective but at Blue Cross the atmosphere was not quite the same. The mens game was a sell-out and it was a vey loud and boistrous environment , but that being said, RIT lost and have a losing record when playing there.

There is no question that a move to a large facility is a win-win for any program as long as the team has the support of the school administration to fill the place as much as possible. If the promotion is lacklustre then it probably will have the effect of being a neutral site game.
              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                If the promotion is lacklustre then it probably will have the effect of being a neutral site game.
                That's what I was getting at above. Playing in an NHL-sized arena with only a few hundred fans in attendance has to take away the home ice advantage, at least to some extent. Even more true if your current players have never played a game there.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Agreed; that's part of what I was getting at with "reduced" home ice advantage. It's not like we're playing the series in Chicago, or even Downtown Columbus. But the impact of the home crowd is likely to be diluted -- as you and Cali suggest.

Comment

It sounds to me like Ohio State will be dealing with the exact same type of situation the Badgers had for their entire existence at the Kohl Center. Until LaBahn opened last month, the Badgers always played in a 15k seat arena, where they rarely - if ever - practiced. They also typically played (and still do) at 2 on Friday afternoons.

As far as crowds and a home ice advantage, I can't see there being much of a difference. I've never seen a game in Columbus, but I don't think the Badgers have gotten any significant advantage from the crowd in moving to the much smaller LaBahn. There is the potential of having a much louder crowd in a smaller space, but womens crowds have always been a bit more laid back. I also think that you'll in general get more overall people to come to a game in a big arena setting, even if it a much smaller percentage of the overall capacity.

The only real disadvantage compared to a regular home game for the Buckeyes that I see is that it will be their first time playing on this particular ice sheet, but if they are playing there a few times this year, then that too is a problem that will go away with time.

Comment

All I can say is good luck with 2:00 Friday games no matter where they are played. Wisconsin has been dealing with these for years. When they played at Kohl on a weekend where the men also were at home, they either played Friday/Saturday at 2 or occasionally Saturday/Sunday.

I thought that would change with the arrival of LaBahn arena. Unfortunately, for reasons I don't quite understand, the UW does not want to have events going on at Kohl and LaBahn at the same time. So they still have mulitple weekends where they still play at 2 on Friday.

Unless it's a holiday weekend or if there are teacher conferences and kids have school off, the crowds will be much smaller than a weekend game. Why wouldn't they be? People have to work and kids have to go to school.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                        All I can say is good luck with 2:00 Friday games no matter where they are played. Wisconsin has been dealing with these for years. When they played at Kohl on a weekend where the men also were at home, they either played Friday/Saturday at 2 or occasionally Saturday/Sunday.

I thought that would change with the arrival of LaBahn arena. Unfortunately, for reasons I don't quite understand, the UW does not want to have events going on at Kohl and LaBahn at the same time. So they still have mulitple weekends where they still play at 2 on Friday.

Unless it's a holiday weekend or if there are teacher conferences and kids have school off, the crowds will be much smaller than a weekend game. Why wouldn't they be? People have to work and kids have to go to school.
                        Thankfully, Mrs 86 and I were able to make arrangements to be there Friday afternoon. It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd/atmosphere we get for that game.

Comment

I thought I saw something that this is the first time that the Buckeye women will be playing at the main on-campus arena. Is that right? If so, that could definitely bring in some more people than normal. However, with a 2:00 face-off, I just don't think they will benefit anyway with the men playing at 7. There may be a few hard-core fans that do the double-header, but not many.

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html

Big series for both teams. Not sure what else to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                              I thought I saw something that this is the first time that the Buckeye women will be playing at the main on-campus arena. Is that right?
                              Both rinks are on campus. The OSU Ice Rink actually has the more central location. But the Schott obviously dwarfs the Ice Rink in terms of size, amenities, etc.

Technically this isn't a first occasion. The Women's Varsity played it's first ever game at the Schott in the Fall of 1999. That was an exhibition game against a Canadian school, so it may or may not appear in the record, depending on what source you consult. Regardless, the Women's team hasn't been back since, so it does have the feel of an inaugural game.

If so, that could definitely bring in some more people than normal. However, with a 2:00 face-off, I just don't think they will benefit anyway with the men playing at 7. There may be a few hard-core fans that do the double-header, but not many.
                              Agreed. The 2:00 start will keep numbers low for the Women's game. And given the 2.5 hour gap between games, most who make it at 2:00 won't stick around for the nightcap. To encourage attendance for the full doubleheader, we could have scheduled the games for 5:00 and 8:00. That's a tight turnaround between games, but it would at least make attending both contests a more plausible option. For better or worse, considerations like clearing the building between games took priority.

Comment

Working...
                              X