Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AHA Commissioner Interview. He said what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AHA Commissioner Interview. He said what?

So... I still think Navy makes the most sense for the AHA. They may not be on track to getting up to D1 by next year, but I have a feeling spot #12 goes to them if they show the slightest interest.
    RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      But - now here's the kicker, you do not have to move up to Division I.

There's an NCAA By-Law that states that if D-II does not offer a championship in a particular sport (ice hockey), the school can declare that they want to play in the D-I sandbox (2 year commitment minimum) while still remaining D-II. AND, Division I requires just 6 teams in a conference to get an AQ. So (and here we go on the wild sleigh ride) take the 4 D-II schools now playing in the NE-10 hockey conference, grab the two D-II Saints that are neither fish nor fowl in the ECAC-East, have them all declare that they want to play in the big boys sandbox and VOILA! you're there.

Play 20 games in conference, and then find 10-14 additional games (play AHA and ECAC bottom feeders). At the end, play your conference championships @ the Salem Ice Center and the winner is the #16 seed in the NCAA tournament.

This is like faster than light travel. People write about it all the time, but reality says it can't happen.
      NE-10 wouldn't want to sponser sports in multiple NCAA classifications, too much to handle alone in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
        NE-10 wouldn't want to sponser sports in multiple NCAA classifications, too much to handle alone in D2.
        I'd be more worried about the NE-10 sponsoring a D-1 hockey conference if I were the three "full members" sponsoring D-I hockey in another conference (AIC, Bentley and Merrimack), on the grounds they might insist those teams play in the NE-10.
        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          I'd be more worried about the NE-10 sponsoring a D-1 hockey conference if I were the three "full members" sponsoring D-I hockey in another conference (AIC, Bentley and Merrimack), on the grounds they might insist those teams play in the NE-10.
          That is very true!

Comment

I don't think there would be much keeping Bently or AIC in the AHA.

RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
              ...and Merrimack has been talking about a full move to D1 so they probably aren't sticking in the NE-10 long term at this point.

Comment

I think this might be the first time anyone's uttered this sentence ever, but... Atlantic Hockey would be a better league.
                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

As astounding as that sounds... that may be a good move for either team. What's ultimately kept teams like RIT and Air Force in AHA is the seemingly easy road to the NCAAs. You sacrifice at large bid possibilities for a higher probability of winning your conference tournament.

I think this might be the first time anyone's uttered this sentence ever, but... Atlantic Hockey would be a better league.
                  RIT Tigers

Comment

As astounding as that sounds... that may be a good move for either team. What's ultimately kept teams like RIT and Air Force in AHA is the seemingly easy road to the NCAAs. You sacrifice at large bid possibilities for a higher probability of winning your conference tournament.
                    I'm pretty sure RIT would bolt to ECAC in a heartbeat if a position opened and an invitation was made...
                    -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                      I'm pretty sure RIT would bolt to ECAC in a heartbeat if a position opened and an invitation was made...
                      With UCONN taking the Hockey East slot, the only way that's going to happen is if the Ivies split. Would it still be desirable?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        With UCONN taking the Hockey East slot, the only way that's going to happen is if the Ivies split. Would it still be desirable?
                        Yeah, cause crazy realignment of hockey conferences never happens!
                        My Four Favorite teams:
                        RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                        Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't mind an Ivy split so long as a few teams were on the bubble of adding hockey. Ivies split into their own league. Half of the Atlantic who wants to invest in their programs join the remainders of the ECAC. It leaves Atlantic small and on dangerous ground, but leaves some room for new teams. Hopefully schools on the bubble like Navy or URI join up.

Not gonna happen though unless another Ivy wants in.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                            I wouldn't mind an Ivy split so long as a few teams were on the bubble of adding hockey. Ivies split into their own league. Half of the Atlantic who wants to invest in their programs join the remainders of the ECAC. It leaves Atlantic small and on dangerous ground, but leaves some room for new teams. Hopefully schools on the bubble like Navy or URI join up.

Not gonna happen though unless another Ivy wants in.
                            I thought it was going to happen sooner rather than later, but that was before Yale won the NC.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Not as desirable, but I would still think RIT would join the rest (maybe two heartbeats) because we are in the Liberty League for other sports with most of them.

RIT-Clarkson-RPI together makes some kind of sense academically. And then Colgate-Union-SLU kinda do as well, if you squint. QU is QU. Maybe throw Army in there as well to make a nice set.
                              -M

Comment

Working...
                              X