Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AHA Commissioner Interview. He said what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AHA Commissioner Interview. He said what?

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
    OK. I had thought that was trumped by the new "no play ups" legislation. Maybe that only applied to DIII (which, of course I heard more about around RIT).
    In this case, it would, because D-III hosts a championship. If for some reason that folded (like that's ever going to happen), then D-III could not only play up, but offer scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      then D-III could not only play up, but offer scholarships.
      I'm not so sure about that. The scholarship restriction is a D-III rule that is only "violated" by the grandfathered single sport play-ups (RPI, CC, Clarkson, SLU, Johns Hopkins, etc.). I could be wrong, but I don't think the play-up due to a lack of championships would do anything to void that rule for a full D-III school.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
        My problem with the hit is that the video seems to be locked up tighter than the watergate tapes. It should be out there for the public to see...
        I've seen it, it's a clear violation (from behind) and, worse, the Canisius player elevates his arms and shoulders with the intent of driving his opponent's head into the glass. He succeeded, inflicting a serious concussion and actually breaking the helmet. Horrible hit and no place for it in the game. He's lucky to still be playing, and Michalke will be lucky if he ever plays again. Canisius whining about the suspension tells you a lot about their program.
        2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
        2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
        Air Force Falcons
        2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
        2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
        2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
        2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
        2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

I have also seen a tape of the hit and it is egregious. I applaud the AHA for finally and publically taking action against this kind of play. There have been examples in the not so distant past that were not addressed at all, let alone appropriately, so I'm glad to see the league finally catching up with the efforts of other leagues to punish these types of hits.
          Scott Biggar
          WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
          Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Where's the link, guys?

And I was pretty surprised by Canisius' response, too. Usually those are pretty contrite press releases.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
              Being in talks with 4 teams does not mean 4 teams joining. We all assume UAH is one of these four, and there's only a 50/50 shot they join AHA, assuming they even remain afloat.

It's also no secret that RIT would likely jump ship to the ECAC as soon as the opportunity arose, and having a few buffer teams puts the AHA in a good position to absorb any such issues.
              Well along the line of my thinking. Say the Ivy League teams spilt from the ECAC. That may bring in RIT and say Niagara. And I still hear a lot of rumors that teams from the old CCHA may not be happy in the WCHA and may like to joing with some teams in the Western POD of the AHA.

Your point also valid that not all four teams would get into the AHA, but the share number gets me thinking, but again its just thinking...

Just so there no confusion, I am not saying the suspension is not the right one, I am saying I don't know and wish I did, but I gotta be able to see the hit. I think the league owes the fan the opportunity to see. The players of each team better get a look...
              Last edited by Tom Naeger; 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM.
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I've seen the video and I agree with the suspension. I wish the WCHA would take similar action in instances like this, as I've seen several similar hits get punished with a minimal suspension.

Air Force won't release the video, especially after what happened with the video of the Wyoming football coach being leaked. They have a new policy in place that only essential people will receive the video (the SID and the league.) Don't expect it to come out from AF anytime soon.

Comment

I think it has more to do with who owns the rights to the video (B2Networks?). Since the league sells the rights, they can probably get access to send it around and show all the coaches what happened. But putting it up on youtube would be another story.
                  On one hand, it would be nice if whoever owns the rights would post the video so everyone could learn from this. At the same time, it's not pretty and might not be pleasant for the player involved to have to see time and time again (and have everyone else see it), so I understand protecting him a bit, given what he's going through.
                  2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                  2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                  Air Force Falcons
                  2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                  2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                  2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                  2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                  2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
                    I think it has more to do with who owns the rights to the video (B2Networks?). Since the league sells the rights, they can probably get access to send it around and show all the coaches what happened. But putting it up on youtube would be another story.
                    On one hand, it would be nice if whoever owns the rights would post the video so everyone could learn from this. At the same time, it's not pretty and might not be pleasant for the player involved to have to see time and time again (and have everyone else see it), so I understand protecting him a bit, given what he's going through.
                    I haven't seen the B2 video and I forgot that there was another person/crew who filmed the game. I've only seen what was filmed by the Air Force videographer who shoots all road games. That video is owned by the AFA and will not be released unless the conference specifically asks for it and releases it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      In this case, I stand by my baseless rumors of St. Anselm, Stonehill, SHNU, and St. Michael's being in the mix. Particularly St. A's.
                      I am new to the site, so excuse me for dragging up old topics. But I have to say it would be wonderful for SNHU to move to D1 hockey. The AHA has a scholly limit of 12? If that is so that may be a good place for a school moving up to start. Less of an automatic financial hit by joining the AHA then going to a full 18 scholly league.

Also, there could be a possibility that SNHU moves up to D1 overall. Financial resources are not a real issue at this point for the rapidly growing school.

A new AD was announced this past week and he begins his role after Memorial Day, so sooner then later we will have some answers around these parts on the future of SNHU athletics. D2 hockey is clearly pointless, and as an alum I would like to see us move up at the very least in hockey. No on campus rink at this point, but in the interim I would hope we could work out a deal to play at the Verizon Wireless Arena in downtown Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                        I am new to the site, so excuse me for dragging up old topics. But I have to say it would be wonderful for SNHU to move to D1 hockey. The AHA has a scholly limit of 12? If that is so that may be a good place for a school moving up to start. Less of an automatic financial hit by joining the AHA then going to a full 18 scholly league.

Also, there could be a possibility that SNHU moves up to D1 overall. Financial resources are not a real issue at this point for the rapidly growing school.

A new AD was announced this past week and he begins his role after Memorial Day, so sooner then later we will have some answers around these parts on the future of SNHU athletics. D2 hockey is clearly pointless, and as an alum I would like to see us move up at the very least in hockey. No on campus rink at this point, but in the interim I would hope we could work out a deal to play at the Verizon Wireless Arena in downtown Manchester.
                        What's the reality like at SNHU... Before we moved up to Div 1 we did a lot of non-trivial ground work... A lot even before the Marty Meehan renniscance. I've been a witness and active part (w many others) in the revival from little pride and general disinterest to the current full-on school pride and ascent of today.

I haven't looked at a lot of the comparables... Some of have done well w the transition some bad and some were D1 in all but name (North Dakota).

I do not begrudge anybody's desire to play w the big boys but we're not playing just for show. At the same time, not knowing SNHU's full geography, we are starting to suck out some of the air around Nashua, etc.

Where do you see yourselves?
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          What's the reality like at SNHU... Before we moved up to Div 1 we did a lot of non-trivial ground work... A lot even before the Marty Meehan renniscance. I've been a witness and active part (w many others) in the revival from little pride and general disinterest to the current full-on school pride and ascent of today.

I haven't looked at a lot of the comparables... Some of have done well w the transition some bad and some were D1 in all but name (North Dakota).

I do not begrudge anybody's desire to play w the big boys but we're not playing just for show. At the same time, not knowing SNHU's full geography, we are starting to suck out some of the air around Nashua, etc.

Where do you see yourselves?
                          If we were to make the move to D1 in all sports we would preferably get into the NEC, we fit the small private school mantra. Currently we have roughly 7,500+ students, which doesn't count the unlimited amount of money pumping in from our online school. You have probably seen the SNHU.edu commercials from time to time. Our new AD has shown the ability to fund raise and collect money from various sources so I am optimistic on that front. We certainly do not have the power and scope that UML has but we have no state funding.

Being located in Manchester we would have a prime spot in the NH scene as far as I am concerned. If we had D1 hockey we would be in prime range of the most populous area of NH unlike other D1 programs UNH & Darmouth.

I wouldn't see SNHU and UML competing in the same avenues. It costs a deal more to attend SNHU, but with the great work done via the online school and the cash flow from that the campus has more then doubled in size and continues to just break ground on new buildings.

I think at the least, we could/should move up in D1 as D2 hockey is pointless and it creates no buzz because there is no national title to win. We were runners up in the very last national championship game...so I guess technically we are still the national runner's up in D2

Comment

If we were to make the move to D1 in all sports we would preferably get into the NEC, we fit the small private school mantra. Currently we have roughly 7,500+ students, which doesn't count the unlimited amount of money pumping in from our online school. You have probably seen the SNHU.edu commercials from time to time. Our new AD has shown the ability to fund raise and collect money from various sources so I am optimistic on that front. We certainly do not have the power and scope that UML has but we have no state funding.

Being located in Manchester we would have a prime spot in the NH scene as far as I am concerned. If we had D1 hockey we would be in prime range of the most populous area of NH unlike other D1 programs UNH & Darmouth.

I wouldn't see SNHU and UML competing in the same avenues. It costs a deal more to attend SNHU, but with the great work done via the online school and the cash flow from that the campus has more then doubled in size and continues to just break ground on new buildings.

I think at the least, we could/should move up in D1 as D2 hockey is pointless and it creates no buzz because there is no national title to win. We were runners up in the very last national championship game...so I guess technically we are still the national runner's up in D2
                            Just double checked numbers, SNHU most recently reported just over 8K students. If we were in the NEC we would be the second largest school, behind CCSU.

Comment

Just double checked numbers, SNHU most recently reported just over 8K students. If we were in the NEC we would be the second largest school, behind CCSU.
                              But - now here's the kicker, you do not have to move up to Division I.

There's an NCAA By-Law that states that if D-II does not offer a championship in a particular sport (ice hockey), the school can declare that they want to play in the D-I sandbox (2 year commitment minimum) while still remaining D-II. AND, Division I requires just 6 teams in a conference to get an AQ. So (and here we go on the wild sleigh ride) take the 4 D-II schools now playing in the NE-10 hockey conference, grab the two D-II Saints that are neither fish nor fowl in the ECAC-East, have them all declare that they want to play in the big boys sandbox and VOILA! you're there.

Play 20 games in conference, and then find 10-14 additional games (play AHA and ECAC bottom feeders). At the end, play your conference championships @ the Salem Ice Center and the winner is the #16 seed in the NCAA tournament.

This is like faster than light travel. People write about it all the time, but reality says it can't happen.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                But - now here's the kicker, you do not have to move up to Division I.

There's an NCAA By-Law that states that if D-II does not offer a championship in a particular sport (ice hockey), the school can declare that they want to play in the D-I sandbox (2 year commitment minimum) while still remaining D-II. AND, Division I requires just 6 teams in a conference to get an AQ. So (and here we go on the wild sleigh ride) take the 4 D-II schools now playing in the NE-10 hockey conference, grab the two D-II Saints that are neither fish nor fowl in the ECAC-East, have them all declare that they want to play in the big boys sandbox and VOILA! you're there.

Play 20 games in conference, and then find 10-14 additional games (play AHA and ECAC bottom feeders). At the end, play your conference championships @ the Salem Ice Center and the winner is the #16 seed in the NCAA tournament.

This is like faster than light travel. People write about it all the time, but reality says it can't happen.
                                Well, I asked the larger question because in the end resources have to be spent and the money needs to come from some source.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X