tUMD @ UNO - We have our separate forums so this should be a quiet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tUMD @ UNO - We have our separate forums so this should be a quiet thread

UNO is looking better than advertised while UMD might not be living up to the hype. Not sure what to make of UMD. Looked great at times and has looked very inexperienced at other times. UNO impressed me with their sweep of MTU, but it goes to show you shouldn't be against a Blais coached team.

Oh yeah this series in Saturday and Sunday....
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Re: tUMD @ UNO - We have our separate forums so this should be a quiet thread

Where the heck is your season thread? I've been looking all over for it.

I duly note that UNO is currently 17th in Pairwise (to whatever extent you give it any credit this early) and UNO is 5th in "others receiving votes" in the USCHO poll.

Meanwhile, tUMD is ranked 20th in the latest USCHO poll, but is nowhere to be found in the Pairwise, not even in the top 31.

As far as UNO is concerned, that is certainly a pretty big disconnect from reality where they are concerned, IMHO. They have been pretty good, so far, even encouraging.

Arbitrary comments about the season to date:

The Mavs played very well against Notre Dame (common opponent) in the Icebreaker (I went) and lost one that could have gone either way. Frankly, I thought we had the better scoring opportunities overall (by a tad) and the game winner was sort of a fluky goal. Notre Dame players and fans were very complimentary in the press and to me, in person, and Jeff Jackson said, post game, "That's the #7 team in the WCHA?

In the preliminary, against Army, they did not look they even belonged on the same ice with us and, if not for a very good performance by their goalie, we'd have beaten them worse than we did.

In our split with Northern Michigan at home, after our Friday night win, Coach Blais called it the finest performance by UNO since he took the helm as head coach. Then, we lost a 2-1 nail biter the next night.

After that, we took a loss and a tie at home against the Beavers. They own us. This has reached the point that they are in our heads. To the point that I don't think it is really that meaningful any more insofar as who we are or are not as a team. They have stomped on us and spit on our grave every opportunity they have had to do so. They are even in our fans heads. I'm throwing the BSU series out as far as my assessment of the team although we managed a tie and a 3-2 loss with them. Both games looked like every game we ever seem to play against them.

Finally, we swept Tech in Houghton (without our best player, Matt White, who did not make the trip) and started the weekend out in style by beating them with a shortie with only 70 seconds left in the game. Then, we just flat-out stomped them the following night. They got the first goal and we thereupon ran them out of the building. UNO was 2nd in the NCAA in shorties last season with 10 and we already have 2 this season. A trademark of Coach Blais, at least, since he's been here. We look better shorthanded than we do on the power play

Our power play, despite the departure of Mike Hastings to Mankato, who was in charge of the UNO power play, is in even worse shape so far this season (49th in the nation) than it was under his tutelage. It's horrific and is something that MUST improve if UNO has serious post season aspirations, which, to me, look like is a reasonable goal this year. We are clearly better than last season.

Besides, fixing the power play, this team needs to finish better on offense. Just like always, since Blais took over, zillions of shots and not enough going in relative to the number taken. Jeez, under Coach Blais, we seem to outshoot just about everybody. Win or lose. (Uh, at least a slight exaggeration but not by a lot).

UNO is undefeated with Faulkner in goal.

I am reasonably certain we are going to be better than the preseason 7th that we were ordained.

Can't go on Saturday. Mother-in-law's retirement party that night.

Dunno why more UNO fans don't post here. Wish they did. Mavpuck is rather cliquish and they mostly stay over there with some exceptions.

Anybody know why this is a Saturday/Sunday series this weekend? If you are coming, cheap tickets here (11 bucks) for the Sunday afternoon matinee:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9024

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

I duly note that UNO is currently 17th in Pairwise (to whatever extent you give it any credit this early) and UNO is 5th in "others receiving votes" in the USCHO poll.

Meanwhile, tUMD is ranked 20th in the latest USCHO poll, but is nowhere to be found in the Pairwise, not even in the top 31.

As far as UNO is concerned, that is certainly a pretty big disconnect from reality where they are concerned, IMHO. They have been pretty good, so far, even encouraging.

The Mavs played very well against Notre Dame (common opponent) in the Icebreaker (I went) and lost one that could have gone either way. Frankly, I thought we had the better scoring opportunities overall (by a tad) and the game winner was sort of a fluky goal. Notre Dame players and fans were very complimentary in the press and to me, in person, and Jeff Jackson said, post game, "That's the #7 team in the WCHA?

In the preliminary, against Army, they did not look they even belonged on the same ice with us and, if not for a very good performance by their goalie, we'd have beaten them worse than we did.

In our split with Northern Michigan at home, after our Friday night win, Coach Blais called it the finest performance by UNO since he took the helm as head coach. Then, we lost a 2-1 nail biter the next night.

After that, we took a loss and a tie at home against the Beavers. They own us. This has reached the point that they are in our heads. To the point that I don't think it is really that meaningful any more insofar as who we are or are not as a team. They have stomped on us and spit on our grave every opportunity they have had to do so. They are even in our fans heads. I'm throwing the BSU series out as far as my assessment of the team although we managed a tie and a 3-2 loss with them. Both games looked like every game we ever seem to play against them.

Finally, we swept Tech in Houghton (without our best player, Matt White, who did not make the trip) and started the weekend out in style by beating them with a shortie with only 70 seconds left in the game. Then, we just flat-out stomped them the following night. They got the first goal and we thereupon ran them out of the building. UNO was 2nd in the NCAA in shorties last season with 10 and we already have 2 this season. A trademark of Coach Blais, at least, since he's been here. We look better shorthanded than we do on the power play

Our power play, despite the departure of Mike Hastings to Mankato, who was in charge of the UNO power play, is in even worse shape so far this season (49th in the nation) than it was under his tutelage. It's horrific and is something that MUST improve if UNO has serious post season aspirations, which, to me, look like is a reasonable goal this year. We are clearly better than last season.

Besides, fixing the power play, this team needs to finish better on offense. Just like always, since Blais took over, zillions of shots and not enough going in relative to the number taken. Jeez, under Coach Blais, we seem to outshoot just about everybody. Win or lose. (Uh, at least a slight exaggeration but not by a lot).

I am reasonably certain we are going to be better than the preseason 7th that we were ordained.

Dunno why more UNO fans don't post here. Wish they did. Mavpuck is rather cliquish and they mostly stay over there with some exceptions.

Anybody know why this is a Saturday/Sunday series this weekend? If you are coming, cheap tickets here (11 bucks) for the Sunday afternoon matinee:

Yeah...we don't have a season thread. I would make one but I would be 90% of the posts. Like UNO fans most UMD fans post on the tPB. Which has been super quiet anyway. I am just starting to think that UMD fans don't post on forums anymore. Many I know are on Twitter (which is partially replacing forums).

Great write up on UNO. I take zero stock in PWR at this point in this season, talk to me come January. While UNO is worthless on the power play, UMD is has been very good on the power play. Still scoring goals for this team has been problematic. I am worried about how they will perform with a team that looked very good against MTU. Wish I could make the Sunday game (definetly would consider it if I wasn't going to the Vikings game), but I'll make a road trip out of it in a few years.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Anybody know why this is a Saturday/Sunday series this weekend?
        Its your Homecoming
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Sucks that it is a Saturday Sunday series. It is a great road trip for and tDogs fans that can make the trek down to Omaha.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Creighton appears to be playing Friday night for some reason, so I assume they bumped UNO from that date as it appears to be their first game. Maybe it is the opening night for college hoops.

It should be a good series, probably a split but hoping for the sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by BCat View Post
              Creighton appears to be playing Friday night for some reason, so I assume they bumped UNO from that date as it appears to be their first game. Maybe it is the opening night for college hoops.

It should be a good series, probably a split but hoping for the sweep.
              Apparently, that is their new arena opener. And… Yeah there's a much to talk about with this series. UMD will be content with a split.
              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Yeah, season opener for Creighton bball. Ciskie confirmed that in his blog. Should be a good series to see where the two are at in terms of their performance this early in the season.

Comment

I second the vote, good write up. Yep a little cliquish over there. They should quit banning people without a given reason and maybe think about an amnesty day for people who got the boot. I'm not going to waste the time sending them a butt kissing email to try getting on there. I can count the number of games I've missed since day one on one hand but I can't post on the only fan website associated with UNO hockey.
                  Look for UNO to keep getting better and finish 5th or better. They seem to have the drive this year. I've noticed the Sustr is becoming a good leader on the ice this year with the underclassmen. He reminds me of Greg Zanon. I noticed our new assistant coach really getting after the players during the Bemidji series. I'm swapping Neb/Penn St tix for hockey tickets. I always look for some good games with UMD.
                  UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

I personally know no one over there, though I have posted there infrequently. But I doubt it does any good to slag a bunch of UNO fans on a moderated forum. I have a feeling you either have to be a Michigan fan or not realize the boundaries you are playing in to get banned.

UNO has looked better than expected early in the season, minus the Bemijdji series (or at least the Saturday performance). But as they say its how you play the last half of the season that counts and it is still early in the year.

I do have to say that is an excellent break down by Red Cows, I always look forward to those write ups.

Comment

Originally posted by BCat View Post
                      I personally know no one over there, though I have posted there infrequently. But I doubt it does any good to slag a bunch of UNO fans on a moderated forum. I have a feeling you either have to be a Michigan fan or not realize the boundaries you are playing in to get banned.

UNO has looked better than expected early in the season, minus the Bemijdji series (or at least the Saturday performance). But as they say its how you play the last half of the season that counts and it is still early in the year.

I do have to say that is an excellent break down by Red Cows, I always look forward to those write ups.
                      I've never posted there (on Mavpuck), and, I am unsure if I actually have valid credentials to do so. I emailed about joining with the credentials I wanted to use upwards of a couple years ago and got no response. Maybe a couple months later I reforwarded my request to them and got a sort of cryptic email from Jon that said, "I thought we set you up an account?", which was odd since THAT was the first response I'd had to any email I sent them. I then reiterated my earlier join-up request to him and he replied "Let me know what you want your username and password to be, and I'll add you to the member database" and I did so, but I never got a response to that email, either, and I have never been motivated enough to check and see if what I asked for was actually provisioned, and even works, now.

I know Biddco got credentials to post there (and has) when we played tUMD, I believe, last season, and he got that accomplished almost immediately.

I have actually given some serious thought to starting an alternative UNO message board. I don't know what Mavpuck's "policy" is or is not on "banning" people, or whether it is really even an issue, but I think it may be very telling that they only have 797 members, particularly when you consider the sheer number of years the board has existed. I don't have any problems, per se, with their board at all, but, I'd rather see one where you don't need "permission" and direct interaction with the board owner/administrator to join. I'd prefer that you can just opt to do it, on your own, on the actual board just like this board. I think if theirs were administered like that there would likely be more members and a much more lively UNO hockey community discourse as a direct result.

I read the Mavpuck board regularly, but the relative level of "hockey intelligence" is pretty superior here (note that I do not mean to imply that they are a bunch of idiots over there or anything of the sort) and I'd rather post here than over there. That board is pretty "local" and I am more interested in a national college hockey perspective.

Comment

I do check and post on Mavpuck a lot. I agree that their hockey intelligence is lackluster. They also tend to have very knee jerk reactions to a lot and tend not to look at things in a bigger picture sense. But it seems like good people with good intentions.

Comment

I've never posted there (on Mavpuck), and, I am unsure if I actually have valid credentials to do so. I emailed about joining with the credentials I wanted to use upwards of a couple years ago and got no response. Maybe a couple months later I reforwarded my request to them and got a sort of cryptic email from Jon that said, "I thought we set you up an account?", which was odd since THAT was the first response I'd had to any email I sent them. I then reiterated my earlier join-up request to him and he replied "Let me know what you want your username and password to be, and I'll add you to the member database" and I did so, but I never got a response to that email, either, and I have never been motivated enough to check and see if what I asked for was actually provisioned, and even works, now.

I know Biddco got credentials to post there (and has) when we played tUMD, I believe, last season, and he got that accomplished almost immediately.

I have actually given some serious thought to starting an alternative UNO message board. I don't know what Mavpuck's "policy" is or is not on "banning" people, or whether it is really even an issue, but I think it may be very telling that they only have 797 members, particularly when you consider the sheer number of years the board has existed. I don't have any problems, per se, with their board at all, but, I'd rather see one where you don't need "permission" and direct interaction with the board owner/administrator to join. I'd prefer that you can just opt to do it, on your own, on the actual board just like this board. I think if theirs were administered like that there would likely be more members and a much more lively UNO hockey community discourse as a direct result.

I read the Mavpuck board regularly, but the relative level of "hockey intelligence" is pretty superior here (note that I do not mean to imply that they are a bunch of idiots over there or anything of the sort) and I'd rather post here than over there. That board is pretty "local" and I am more interested in a national college hockey perspective.
                          i did post there but haven't this year. It here is almost as little going on there as the PB!
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

The game tonight was pretty much an instant replay of every game we have played this season.

Tight, terse, and we got another close one. Sheesh, we even got outshot for a change--and won. And, will wonders never cease, we scored a power play goal.

Faulkner still undefeated.

Matinee tomorrow.

Comment

There are certain teams I enjoy watching our team play more than others, and Duluth is one of those teams. A nice amount of Duluth fans and these games are always hotly contested. UNO needs to stay out of the box as Duluth was terrific on the powerplay. I think Faulkner has earned the # 1 goaltending assignment for some time. The duluth goaltender may have made the best save I've seen all year on Aneloski coming right down Dodge street in the second period.

It will be interesting to see how the teams' legs respond to the short turn around, as I'd expect a pretty physical game tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X