Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan at NMU: Yet Another Reason to Hate Wal-Mart....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan at NMU: Yet Another Reason to Hate Wal-Mart....

I'm really beginning to feel like I'm talking to myself in these threads.....

Cats are coming off a disappointing weekend against Notre Dame while Michigan split against Miami....

Finally getting back to Marquette.... 1st time since January 2011.... Been way too long.... Should be a fun weekend.... Expecting a good crowd.... Anyone from below the bridge coming up?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: Michigan at NMU: Yet Another Reason to Hate Wal-Mart....

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I'm really beginning to feel like I'm talking to myself in these threads.....
    At least you realize this about yourself. That is the first step toward healing.

IN both games against Miami, Michigan came out playing a step slower than the Redskins Redhawks. On Friday night, they were able to overcome poor early play and comeback. On Saturday, they just never got it together. I think that if Miami and Michigan were to play a 7 game series, it would go all 7 games.

What this means against NMU, with it being the first time on the road for this team, who knows. I think Red will play both freshman goalies. If you look at the numbers, Racine should get the edge. What they don't show is that the team has played noticeably worse in front of Rutledge. I think both goalies have played average.

Should be an interesting weekend and I could see any result, including sweeps either way.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
      At least you realize this about yourself. That is the first step toward healing.

IN both games against Miami, Michigan came out playing a step slower than the Redskins Redhawks. On Friday night, they were able to overcome poor early play and comeback. On Saturday, they just never got it together. I think that if Miami and Michigan were to play a 7 game series, it would go all 7 games.

What this means against NMU, with it being the first time on the road for this team, who knows. I think Red will play both freshman goalies. If you look at the numbers, Racine should get the edge. What they don't show is that the team has played noticeably worse in front of Rutledge. I think both goalies have played average.

Should be an interesting weekend and I could see any result, including sweeps either way.
      Most cases I would suggest something for talking to yourself... like not insulting at least half of the intended audience.

Bluevox is dead on in his analysis. This is the first road trip for the Wolvies, who may use this to bond a little better. The odd card is, how will this team play on the big ice, away from a home crowd, and in a fairly loud environment for their first roadie? Michigan pushes the offense to a fault, which relates to Vox's comments. Even the average team with any kind of effort will score goals on this team right now, and will keep it close. Goaltending is a problem in the sense that they are seeing far too many breakdowns, far too many shots and the occasional error or two. Just the same, Michigan is atypically fast and gets balanced scoring. The downside is, they haven't made too many teams earn their opportunities. Combine that with average goaltending and you have inconsistent results. Overall, Michigan has the statistical advantage except on GAA. I think Coreau will be the difference for NMU, where offense appears to be at a premium right now- it may change at home. I suspect two close games and favor another split.

Comment

I also think that a lot of the defensive issues can be magnified by pressure. Miami knew where Michigan's young D was going to blindly dump the puck much of the night- if they continue to do that, and Northern can anticipate that, it will create a lot of havoc in the Michigan zone.

This isn't the first time we've seen issues with blind passes/dumped pucks in our D zone- but it generally gets worked out by January.

I also think this kind of pressure flusters the coverage a lot more than typical cycling- seems as if they can do "ok" with coverage in the corners, but if they expect that a puck will clear, and forwards are moving out- those dump passes can be really dangerous.

The bigger ice will be interesting- better, worse, or just ice?

Comment

Eh, as always, we got to ramp up the Little Man Complex when we play a B1G school, hence the title

Coming into this series, I didn't know what to make of the Wolverines... The RIT loss, and the 1st half of the Bentley game had me confused... You then played well against a very solid Miami team this past weekend however.... Seems like y'all are still figuring out what you have...

Your offense scares me... This NMU team isn't going to win many 5-4, shootout type of games... If we get roped into a track meet, we're toast...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Anyone from below the bridge coming up?
            I think I will be there. I have some business to attend to in Marquette on Friday and a I am greatly looking forward to a big sports weekend, particularly Super Saturday with the football, volleyball and hockey teams all playing at home. I am very excited.

I'm not sure what to make of Ann Arbor U this year, either. They have been both very good and very bad at times. Hopefully, the NMU team is p***ed off from losing a pair of last weekend and A2U plays a less-than-stellar weekend. Maybe the combination will allow the Cats a sweep in their final matchup ever at the Berry (because we know Red and Co. will never cross the bridge again if they don't have to).

Comment

Originally posted by potternmu View Post
              I think I will be there. I have some business to attend to in Marquette on Friday and a I am greatly looking forward to a big sports weekend, particularly Super Saturday with the football, volleyball and hockey teams all playing at home. I am very excited.

I'm not sure what to make of Ann Arbor U this year, either. They have been both very good and very bad at times. Hopefully, the NMU team is p***ed off from losing a pair of last weekend and A2U plays a less-than-stellar weekend. Maybe the combination will allow the Cats a sweep in their final matchup ever at the Berry (because we know Red and Co. will never cross the bridge again if they don't have to).
              Which is why they are in discussions to play MTU in Houghton in the future.

Oh, and you forgot that your basketball team is in A2 tonight. Exhibition. Plaid shirts and hats with earflaps optional.

And if it is any consolation, Michigan fans will miss playing NMU at the JLA in the CCHA tourney.
              Last edited by streaker; 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Which is why they are in discussions to play MTU in Houghton in the future.
                We all know the "only" reason they'll be playing Tech in Houghton: Mel.
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                  We all know the "only" reason they'll be playing Tech in Houghton: Mel.
                  Won't deny that, but maybe the Huskies aren't as rigid about the terms of a scheduling agreement as Kyle is. Plenty of other teams to schedule on Michigan's terms. It's about revenue, not about being fair.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    ...consolation...NMU at the JLA in the CCHA tourney.
                    Ha.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

I expect the series to be like the basketball game yesterday.
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        I expect the series to be like the basketball game yesterday.
                        An exhibition?
                        Boring?
                        Fouls called for any contact whatsoever?
                        Both teams score double digits?
                        Games no one cares about?

Actually, I didn't watch the bouncey ball game...so, I have no clue.

I expect these games to be close, but with the edge to Michigan. I'll assume the hoops game was a blow out, so I'm going to say this series will be nothing like bouncey ball. For one thing, those of us posting in this thread will actually care about the result of the hockey games.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Big series for Northern this weekend. The 'Cats are always amped to play UM in the Berry, and after getting swept by the Irish last weekend, you know Walt was on them this week in practice. I'm hoping for a split. Considering they have to play at Miami next week, some conference points will be necessary. These two games could really tell us how NMU is gonna stack up against top CCHA competition this year.
                          NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            An exhibition?
                            Boring?
                            Fouls called for any contact whatsoever?
                            Both teams score double digits?
                            Games no one cares about?

Actually, I didn't watch the bouncey ball game...so, I have no clue.

I expect these games to be close, but with the edge to Michigan. I'll assume the hoops game was a blow out, so I'm going to say this series will be nothing like bouncey ball. For one thing, those of us posting in this thread will actually care about the result of the hockey games.
                            A blowout with Michigan physically dominating.

I see Michigan getting the sweep if and only if Racine is starting both games. Got to go with the hot hand. Nothing against Jared, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire as of late.
                            Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                              A blowout with Michigan physically dominating.

I see Michigan getting the sweep if and only if Racine is starting both games. Got to go with the hot hand. Nothing against Jared, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire as of late.
                              According to Spath, Racine is starting the first game and, if he performs well, will be in saturday. Racine was much more athletic in his win against Miami and he needed to be. You're right about that aspect of Rutledge's game, but as a whole, if the team played any kind of lock down defense, he should only be asked to make routine stops. That hasn't been the case for either goaltender. So, I guess Red is conceding that his team is what it is and his "hottest" goaltender has to play above his capabilities.

It's gonna be even harder with only 6 healthy d-men again, with one being the walk-on.

Comment

Working...
                              X