Michigan Tech at Denver 10/26/12 & 10/27/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Tech at Denver 10/26/12 & 10/27/12

The game notes are out for both DU and MTU.

Highlights from DU notes

No. 5 Denver (2-0-0, 0-0-0 WCHA) opens Western Collegiate Hockey League action, when the Pioneers host Michigan Tech (1-1-0, 1-1-0 WCHA) on Friday at 7:37 p.m. MT and Saturday at 7:07 p.m. MT. Both games will be webcast live on Pioneer Vision, and will air live on 102.3 ESPN Radio.

OUT OF ACTION
    Larkin Jacobson (team suspension) and Juho Olkinuora (team suspension) are out Friday but are eligible to return Saturday.

PLAYING WITH POWER
    The Pioneers scored on a combined 4-of-6 power plays in their first two games, while holding Air Force and UMass Lowell to a combined 1-for-8.

BLUE LINE SCORING
    Of the 26 points the Pioneers recorded last weekend, 42.3 percent (11) came from DU defensemen. Joey LaLeggia, Nolan Zajac and David Makowski all scored goals, while LaLeggia (2), Zajac (3), Dakota Mermis, Scott Mayfield and Paul Phillips recorded assists.

PIONEERS ALL-TIME VS. MICHIGAN TECH
    Denver is 116-83-19 (.575) overall and 77-27-10 (.721) at home in the all-time series with Michigan Tech that began in 1951. DU is 49-12-8 against the Huskies under head coach George Gwozdecky.
    DU Game Notes

MTU game Notes
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: Michigan Tech at Denver 10/26/12 & 10/27/12

I doubt this thread will get much attention this year. Last year the formally entertaining Tech fans were mad at us for leaving the WCHA, because we posters had so much to do with that decision!!
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

Thinking about heading to Magness this weekend for my first dose of Pioneer hockey. Should be a good series. Looks like Mel has the Huskies moving in the right direction.

Snow on the ground this morning...must be hockey season!
      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Projection from Goon's World

Michigan Tech @ #5 Denver
        Last weekend the Huskies split with the Gophers in Houghton and the Pioneers beat Mass-Lowell 5-1 on Friday and then beat Air Force 5-2 on Saturday.
        I watched the Huskies/Gophers games last weekend, and MTU looked good. They have some speed up front and solid goaltending. Not seeing DU in action, but since they have the number five ranking, it is safe to say they are a quality team this year (just like every year). Both play on an NHL sized ice sheet, so that won’t be a factor in these games. It appears that second year head coach Mel Pearson has gotten the Huskies back on track and looking like the Tech teams of yore. I’m going to go with a SPLIT in this series.
        http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/

I would love to see a DU Sweep, but if Tech can beat the gophs I guess i'd be happy with 3 points.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          I doubt this thread will get much attention this year. Last year the formally entertaining Tech fans were mad at us for leaving the WCHA, because we posters had so much to do with that decision!!
          Well...I don't think too many Tech fans are sad about the loss or blame the NCHC fans (although a few NCHC team fans were particularly obnoxious with chest thumping about their new "super league"). Next year, Tech's chance of making the NCAA tourney goes up by 50%, and their ranking is likely to average much higher than previous seasons. People love winning teams, particularly when they're playing local rivals, and the breakup is likely to put a lot more fans in the seats when Tech plays NMU, LSSU and FSU. Tech has a better chance of winning the McNaughton Cup next year than they have in decades. So, all in all, not a bad thing for Tech.

Should be a great series this w/e. Tech doesn't have any big marquis scorers, but they do have ten players that will score 20-30 points this season. If Copley stays hot, DU will have a very tough weekend. I'm predicting at least another split.

Comment

Mostly it was Damien Goddard and one or two others being arseholes that teed us off - we've got a couple hotheads ourselves, so I won't judge too much. Personally, I don't have a huge problem with most DU fans.

I'd be quite happy with a split on the road, especially this early in the year, but I know our team won't be. According to Mel, the players were quite disappointed we couldn't sweep last weekend. For most of the past 25-30 years, a split against then-#1, whether at home or on the road, would be a big success.

I expect both games to be fairly close. Denver's got a defense that is top 2-3 in the league, and certainly has the best goaltending. Their scoring seems to be coming around, though I think Lowell started their #2 goalie (?), and Air Force probably isn't the toughest test this early on.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Mostly it was Damien Goddard and one or two others being arseholes that teed us off - we've got a couple hotheads ourselves, so I won't judge too much. Personally, I don't have a huge problem with most DU fans.

I'd be quite happy with a split on the road, especially this early in the year, but I know our team won't be. According to Mel, the players were quite disappointed we couldn't sweep last weekend. For most of the past 25-30 years, a split against then-#1, whether at home or on the road, would be a big success.

I expect both games to be fairly close. Denver's got a defense that is top 2-3 in the league, and certainly has the best goaltending. Their scoring seems to be coming around, though I think Lowell started their #2 goalie (?), and Air Force probably isn't the toughest test this early on.
              This seems to me like it should be one of the best match-ups in the country this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                Tech doesn't have any big marquis scorers, but they do have ten players that will score 20-30 points this season.
                That's a bit optimistic IMO. Last years national championship BC team had ten players with 20+ pts and last year's Gopher squad (which lead the nation in scoring), had nine players with 20+ pts.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

We have a couple players who should put up 30-35 pts., two more who will likely approach 25, and a couple more who should sniff 20. Otherwise, we appear to have a really solid fourth line that should end up chipping in a fair amount (~10 pts. each, maybe), AND play well defensively - that can make a big difference.

Comment

We have a couple players who should put up 30-35 pts., two more who will likely approach 25, and a couple more who should sniff 20. Otherwise, we appear to have a really solid fourth line that should end up chipping in a fair amount (~10 pts. each, maybe), AND play well defensively - that can make a big difference.
                    No arguments there. I'm a believer in your team
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Dave Karnosky's preview of this weekend's series.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        No arguments there. I'm a believer in your team
                        I appreciate it, and I agree that ten, 20-30 pt. scorers is expecting a lot, even from tMel. If Tech sniffs BC-like numbers by the end of the year, I will eat my stripes.

Comment

Last year, Tech cycled the puck in the corners alot, when on the attack, constantly passing the puck around and drawing our guys off their positions - and it drove Denver nuts. I remember Coach Gwozdecky even commenting on it. I hope DU's defensive-minded squad can deal with that. If not, Tech is likely to get some prime shots on net. DU goalies will be busy. Should be a fun series
                          I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Looking forward to this series, albeit nervously wondering if we can sweep Tech. Anticipating Brittain will start tonight and stop Tech cold.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

I appreciate it, and I agree that ten, 20-30 pt. scorers is expecting a lot, even from tMel. If Tech sniffs BC-like numbers by the end of the year, I will eat my stripes.
                              Player - last year's points

1. BPietila - 24
                              2. DJohnstone - 29
                              3. Furne - 24
                              4. Gordic - 15 - injured part of last year and off to a good start
                              5. Kero - 16 - looks much stronger this year
                              6. JJohnstone - 17
                              7. Seigo - 22
                              8. Petan - If this guy doesn't break 20, I'll be stunned
                              9. Khaira - I think he could easily make 20 points
                              10. Gould/Eick/Rix/CPietila - Any of these guys could also do it - Rix is hot and Eick looks amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X