MIAC 2012 - 2013 - Scores/Updates/Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAC 2012 - 2013 - Scores/Updates/Predictions

MIAC Non-conference play kicks off this weekend. Here are my rough predictions.

Augsburg @ Adrian - 2 games - Adrian sweeps
    Saint Mary's @ St. Norbert - 1 game- SMU wins
    Bethel vs. UWEC - Home/Home series - Split w/ each team winning their home game
    Concordia @ Concordia-Wis. - 1 game- Concordia-MN wins
    Hamline vs UW-Superior - 2 games - UW-Superior sweeps
    St. Olaf vs. UW-Stevens Point - 2 games - Olaf wins first game, tie
    Saint Mary's @ Concordia-Wis. - 1 game - tie (the travel will be SMUs downfall)
    Concordia @ St. Norbert - 1 game - Norberts wins
    St. Bens vs Marian - 1 game - St. Bens wins
    Gustavus vs UW-Superior - 1 game (Tuesday) - GAC wins by 2

Re: MIAC 2012 - 2013 - Scores/Updates/Predictions

It's hard to say without seeing and comparing rosters but of the 13 weekend games, I say the NCHA goes 9-4.

Comment

Lots of turnover.... should be interesting.

Comment

I'm gonna give Superior the win over Gustavus on Tuesday. It will be Gustavus' 1st game, Superior's 3rd. They have a lot of new players and Justice is gone. Sobzack played mainly in winnable games last year, so not tested terribly. She did get the 1-0 OT win against UWS last season...but also had the 5-1 loss in Superior. I'd take UWS's age and experience over what GAC will be bringing to the table
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          I'm gonna give Superior the win over Gustavus on Tuesday. It will be Gustavus' 1st game, Superior's 3rd. They have a lot of new players and Justice is gone. Sobzack played mainly in winnable games last year, so not tested terribly. She did get the 1-0 OT win against UWS last season...but also had the 5-1 loss in Superior. I'd take UWS's age and experience over what GAC will be bringing to the table
          Latest news: http://www.facebook.com/events/179195318883819/?fref=ts
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
            What's the story there?
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Sobzack was involved in a really bad car accident in the late summer and will not be playing hockey this year. I believe GAC has 3 first year goalies on their roster. They still have some very good players who have been to the FF 3 times already.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                What's the story there?
                In the thread "Benefit Fund for Sobczak Family," I posted the following comment regarding a fund that has been set up to help the family with medical bills, etc. I thought this might be a good place to re-post the information in case anyone is interested in making a donation. Here is my previous post:

A post was previously made under another category regarding the car accident Marah Sobczak and her sister Kalley were involved in last week. Here is a link to one of the stories regarding the accident.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...h-in-lake-elmo

According to their CaringBridge website, a benefit fund has now been set up through Bremar Bank. If you wish to make a contribution to the family to help out with their medical and other needs, you can do so by visiting any Bremar Bank location and tell them you want to donate to the Sobczak Benefit Fund. If you do not have a Bremar Bank location near year, I have been told by Bremar Bank that you can mail your donation made payable to “Sobczak Benefit Fund” to Bremar Bank, 10040 City Walk Drive, Woodbury, MN 55129.

Comment

I would argue that GAC wins/loses very few games because of their goaltending. For me, this is not a deciding factor for them. Historically, they have had some of their least skilled goaltenders during years when they were most dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by eg1351 View Post
                    I would argue that GAC wins/loses very few games because of their goaltending. For me, this is not a deciding factor for them. Historically, they have had some of their least skilled goaltenders during years when they were most dominant.
                    I agree with that...but when you have a true freshmen goalie going against seasoned forwards like Ashley Martin, Chelsea Wierschem, Birdsall, Crosson, Shrift....it is going to play a factor. These ladies have become familiar enough with Gustavus over the past 2-3 years. Either way...its going to be a great early season game in the west..the real west..not the ECAC-West

Its unfortunate to hear about the Sobszack situation. Hopefully the d-bag gets his license revoked-clearly a person who does not deserve the privelage to drive.
                    UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I was just looking at GAC's new goalies' stories online (now that the roster's finally posted!) and it looks like they have some good talent coming in. Of course, they are freshmen, but I know goaltending was my big question for them. Their other freshmen are all big scorers, it looks like, so I am excited to see how they do. I am predicting a one goal game, with GAC on top 3 - 2 is my guess.

St. Olaf - Steven's Point should be interesting. I think Point will win by 2 in the first with an Olaf comeback in #2. It should be a good test for both. I'm also interested in the Concordia MN - St. Norbert, as they both should have some good talent. I think Conc will pull that one out in a nailbiter.

The other games will be a good look at the conference, but there's nothing else that catches my eye.
                      Last edited by egon_getts; 10-26-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Well, the MIAC-NCHA showdown ended 6-6-1, which means the GAC - Superior game will decide once and for all which conference is better! Well, maybe not, but it is nice to see some parity, at least as a MIAC fan I was happy to see the St. Olaf Oles comeb ack and take it to Point in game 2. Still excited for tomorrow's matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by egon_getts View Post
                          Well, the MIAC-NCHA showdown ended 6-6-1, which means the GAC - Superior game will decide once and for all which conference is better! Well, maybe not, but it is nice to see some parity, at least as a MIAC fan I was happy to see the St. Olaf Oles comeb ack and take it to Point in game 2. Still excited for tomorrow's matchup.
                          While St. Olaf came away with the win on Saturday [and a win is a win], I can't say that they "took it to Point." According to the scoreboard, Point outshot the Oles 40 to 24. The Oles' lone goal was a power play goal. MacKeever was the difference in the game for the Oles -- she was a brick wall. I'm not sure about the Oles' but Point rolled 4 lines the whole first game and most of the second game. I would guess it will take a few weeks for teams to sort out who they have as players and where they fit best on their teams.

It is nice to see more parity in both leagues. It makes the games more enjoyable not knowing who will come out on top in each series. Looks like Bethel has a nice team this year -- maybe they will be the team to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                            While St. Olaf came away with the win on Saturday [and a win is a win], I can't say that they "took it to Point." According to the scoreboard, Point outshot the Oles 40 to 24. The Oles' lone goal was a power play goal. MacKeever was the difference in the game for the Oles -- she was a brick wall. I'm not sure about the Oles' but Point rolled 4 lines the whole first game and most of the second game. I would guess it will take a few weeks for teams to sort out who they have as players and where they fit best on their teams.

It is nice to see more parity in both leagues. It makes the games more enjoyable not knowing who will come out on top in each series. Looks like Bethel has a nice team this year -- maybe they will be the team to beat.
                            Yeah, "take it to" was maybe the wrong phrasing....mostly I just like a MIAC win! I'm excited to see some historically mid-conference teams (Bethel, Concordia, St. Kate's) get stronger on a regular basis. It adds some excitement to the league and gives things more of an "anything can happen" vibe. There's a lot less certainty in the way things will turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by egon_getts View Post
                              Can you post updates tomorrow? I'll be stuck judging a "talent" show at my school....I'm so excited
                              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Working...
                              X