Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    These are available through Ticketmaster. It's $30.00 for both games:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Battles-...artist/1781340

It is a USHL/NCAA doubleheader. Tickets are good for both games. Where to sit? Take a look at this thread on the topic in Mavpuck:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8519

These is also worth a look as to rink layout:

http://www.omahasports.org/archives/548

http://www.omavs.com/news/2012/2/14/...214124422.aspx

http://omahasteam.com/tickets/hockey...on-ice-tickets

The upper level availability (or lack thereof) is because of the presumed better sight lines up there.

Be advised that TD Ameritrade seats only 25,000 and the seats upstairs are not as "nosebleed" as you would think, having been to baseball games there.

This is now being advertised here in a big way, finally.

If you are coming, the Friday night game is going to be very worthy as well. I've been told that North Dakota is bringing something like a 100 busloads of fans, the Friday night game at the Clink is on national television, and a crowd well in excess of 10,000 will be on hand for that one as well. The first UNO/North Dakota game ever played was here in November 2010 and even though UNO lost (the lead changed hands 3 times in the game), it easily had the best atmosphere of any game UNO has ever played in the Clink. There was a mountain of UND fans here for that one. And, the best student turnout in UNO history, which has been a problem here, bar none. It will be worth going, trust me:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06...004924A2C85507
    Just doing Saturday, have to broadcast a high school basketball doubleheader Friday night.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      A) Is there going to be alcohol sold?

B) Will there be **** to do (and time) in between the games or are we to just sit out there for the whole thing?
      Since this is a city owned venue, I am certain the answer is yes. That said, I do not know this for an absa-positively fact

The Clink is a city owned venue as well (managed for the city by the same entity, MECA--the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority) and I doubt the alcohol availability situation in that building is rivaled by many rinks, anywhere. You could call MECA if you wish, and ask, though:

http://www.omahameca.com/

The games times are 12:30 and 4:07. Whether they will allow "passouts" or not, I don't know. There are bars and restaurants now, literally, across the street from TD Ameritrade. That area is getting closer and closer all the time to "entertainment critical mass". Withing a mile of the stadium, though, are literally dozens of restaurants and bars now, the biggest percentage in the Old Market. But, there are also now a lot of places even closer than that. My wife and I kind of rotate around the area before each UNO game so there isn't any place in the area we have not been to, most more than once. Many several/many times. A lot of what is in the immediate area of the stadium and arena has been built in the last 4 years and much of it even more recently than that. My wife is a chef and the executive director of a large culinary school here in Omaha so she/we have some pretty definitive ideas about the culinary value of just about every place down there, she of the "oh so critical" opinion.

I also should have mentioned that the seat prices START at 30 bucks:

http://omahasteam.com/tickets/hockey...on-ice-tickets

Comment

I'm looking forward to some redemption this weekend. Points are at a premium right now. 3 points would be great this weekend. 4 would be fantastic. 2 would be acceptable as long as we can win out at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
          I'm looking forward to some redemption this weekend. Points are at a premium right now. 3 points would be great this weekend. 4 would be fantastic. 2 would be acceptable as long as we can win out at home.
          If UNO has serious designs on the MacNaughton, the time is NOW. They have, by far, the easiest remaining schedule in the conference and anything short of 3 points this weekend is a fail in my book. Winning out at home would mean sweeping Michigan Tech, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. Tall order. There are 24 points left on the schedule. I think we need a minimum of 18 to get the cup. That would put us at 38 points, which, by the way, would not have won the league last season. I don't see anybody getting the 40 points that won it last season. I think somebody with 37 or 38 is gonna do it. My scenario for 18 points does not include us winning out at home, I might add. If somebody does get to 40 they will be the conference champ for sure, but only 5 of the top 8 teams have any shot at that number at all, and, any team that got hot enough to get there would be a threat to win the NCAA title besides, I would think.

I am very worried about how beat up we are and I also worry about our goaltending. The better your team is, the more goaltending matters, and I don't know about whether Faulkner can get us to where we want to go or not.

If I had to bet money on this, I'd bet on us NOT getting it done. I sure hope I am wrong. I'm hearing the best case scenario for Montpetit to be back is for Wisconsin. Dunno about the others. Have to listen to Coach Blais' show tonight, I guess.

I want to believe, but, bottom line, we give up too many goals. 5th most in the league and the most of any league team with a winning record. That ain't good.

I don't think we can win the league title with anything less than 3 points this weekend and the 18 point scenario I worked up for UNO involves us sweeping this series.

Comment

Health update.

Coach Blais said on his show tonight that Johnnie Searfoss returned to practice today and may play this weekend.

He gave no time line on either Montpetit or Raubenheimer except to say that they are both out indefinitely.

He also is concerned about the team and the flu. He, himself, is just getting over it and that Brian O'Rourke currently has it and did not practice today.

They are having to practice over at the Ralston Arena with the Omaha Lancers because of the US Figure Skating Championships, which are currently going on here in Omaha. Figure skaters are using all the other rinks in town, even some are using the Ralston Arena, and he said even ice time there has been at a premium.

Comment

Originally posted by red cows View Post
              us figure skating championships, .
              gag me
              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
                To be honest, Walters is great, I have been watching him all season also, but I am far more impressed by Archibalds play. He plays both ends of the ice, he is physical, he is fast, if we get him back next year, he will be the Hobey contender for sure. Walters is fantastic, but he has done a lot of picking up the trash now and then (i'm not judging, a goal is a goal, you gotta be there to get it)
                I know where you're coming from. But IMO folks who can put the puck in the net get all the accolades they deserve.

The Gophers frankly have great players every year, have always dominated shots on goal...and always, always control the puck. But year in and year out, the #1 difference maker between decent versus great Gopher teams has been their ability to put the puck in the net. Relish the guy, in this case Walters, who can get it done because they are very rare.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Another article on the Stars/Lancers and UNO/UND matchup:

http://journalstar.com/sports/stars-...24f7ccbb1.html

I think we have the capability to get to the top of the conference this year. But the defense definitely has to be better to do that. But with our schedule left, I definitely see us with a fighting chance. Looking for good things at Bemidji this weekend, but they've seemed to had our number. Will be a fun weekend for hockey, regardless.

Comment

As Mr. Rogers used to say, "It's a great day in the neighborhood".

I hope this is a good omen.

Former UNO radio play-by-play man Greg Harrington is going to do the UNO/BSU series on the radio for UNO this weekend. Harrington, up until the start of '09-'10 season, was the only radio voice UNO has ever known. Dave Ahlers, who is the current play-by-play voice as well as the school's "Sports Information Director" supposedly has a illness in the family and can't do these games this weekend. This from a thread in Mavpuck on the topic.

FWIW, Harrington was let go by the team right before our last CCHA season in one of the worst cheapskate moves I have ever seen as the whole thing was all about money, and a ridiculously small amount at that.

Harrington has always lived in St. Paul and the school decided that they didn't want to any longer underwrite the extra expense of having Greg not be in Omaha, travel with the team, and have to travel on his own. This arrangement cost the university less than an extra $30,000.00 per year. What a way to reward loyalty and show your fans just how utterly chintzy you are, huh? Particularly since Greg is easily one of the best hockey play-by play men I have ever heard, anywhere. How blessed we were to have an announcer of this quality. Instead he got cast aside in a move that saved little money and saddled us with Dave Ahlers, who is as bad as Harrington is good. I feel bad for castigating Dave here, however, since he's a real nice guy. That said, he is a lousy announcer. If you listen to a broadcast of his, good luck trying to figure out what's going on. He calls a game like a TV guy would, except that, Dave, we can't see the game! You almost never know the score, the time remaining either on the game clock or for a penalty. I could go on and on. Suffice to say that there is a running thread at Mavpuck about how to circumvent listening to him each weekend! Our own fans!

Anyway, it will be very uplifting to hear his knowledgeable voice again and actually have a real pro do our games, even if it's only for just one weekend.

Getting rid of him over what amounts to chump change is one of the most the most foolhardy things this program has ever done.
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

As someone who gets his paycheck from radio and broadcasts sports, thank you.. I needed that laugh.

ONLY $30k?!? That goes a long way at all levels. In my business they'd cut somebody loose if it saved them $8 and a six inch sandwich. Consider yourself lucky they transported him as long as they did.
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

As Mr. Rogers used to say, "It's a great day in the neighborhood".

I hope this is a good omen.

Former UNO radio play-by-play man Greg Harrington is going to do the UNO/BSU series on the radio for UNO this weekend. Harrington, up until the start of '09-'10 season, was the only radio voice UNO has ever known. Dave Ahlers, who is the current play-by-play voice as well as the school's "Sports Information Director" supposedly has a illness in the family and can't do these games this weekend. This from a thread in Mavpuck on the topic.

FWIW, Harrington was let go by the team right before our last CCHA season in one of the worst cheapskate moves I have ever seen as the whole thing was all about money, and a ridiculously small amount at that.

Harrington has always lived in St. Paul and the school decided that they didn't want to any longer underwrite the extra expense of having Greg not be in Omaha, travel with the team, and have to travel on his own. This arrangement cost the university less than an extra $30,000.00 per year. What a way to reward loyalty and show your fans just how utterly chintzy you are, huh? Particularly since Greg is easily one of the best hockey play-by play men I have ever heard, anywhere. How blessed we were to have an announcer of this quality. Instead he got cast aside in a move that saved little money and saddled us with Dave Ahlers, who is as bad as Harrington is good. I feel bad for castigating Dave here, however, since he's a real nice guy. That said, he is a lousy announcer. If you listen to a broadcast of his, good luck trying to figure out what's going on. He calls a game like a TV guy would, except that, Dave, we can't see the game! You almost never know the score, the time remaining either on the game clock or for a penalty. I could go on and on. Suffice to say that there is a running thread at Mavpuck about how to circumvent listening to him each weekend! Our own fans!

Anyway, it will be very uplifting to hear his knowledgeable voice again and actually have a real pro do our games, even if it's only for just one weekend.

Getting rid of him over what amounts to chump change is one of the most the most foolhardy things this program has ever done.
                        Let's not forget when he was let go the athletic program was bleeding money. Having said that I learned quite a bit about the game by bringing a headset and listening to Greg's play by play while watching it from 5 rows away from the glass. I don't have an opinion either way about Dave. It just seems like every time Trev makes a command decision there is someone belly aching about it. One thing I get tired of hearing is all of Terry Leahy's uhs when he talks on the air. He uh is uh certainly one of the best uh skaters uh in the uh wcha. It's like every 2 or 3 words for him. Just uh spit it out uh or shut up uh.

In other news, I have to wonder how feasable it would be to have an outdoor game in the old Sapp Field. Seems like UNO would be better off next time doing something on campus. Charge $5 for parking, keep all the concession profits and tell roger to shove it.

AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD BRING BACK THE PEP BAND AND GET RID OF THE ORGANIST WHO HAS NO TALENT.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                          Let's not forget when he was let go the athletic program was bleeding money. Having said that I learned quite a bit about the game by bringing a headset and listening to Greg's play by play while watching it from 5 rows away from the glass. I don't have an opinion either way about Dave. It just seems like every time Trev makes a command decision there is someone belly aching about it. One thing I get tired of hearing is all of Terry Leahy's uhs when he talks on the air. He uh is uh certainly one of the best uh skaters uh in the uh wcha. It's like every 2 or 3 words for him. Just uh spit it out uh or shut up uh.

In other news, I have to wonder how feasable it would be to have an outdoor game in the old Sapp Field. Seems like UNO would be better off next time doing something on campus. Charge $5 for parking, keep all the concession profits and tell roger to shove it.

AND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD BRING BACK THE PEP BAND AND GET RID OF THE ORGANIST WHO HAS NO TALENT.
                          I can't argue with the timing of Harrington being let go and the money issues. That said, if Ahlers listened to that game on the radio tonight I'd be afraid to show my face around campus if I was him. He is so superior to Ahlers it isn't even funny and he did an amazing job tonight for somebody that hasn't called a game in 4 years. Seemed like old times. What a joy that was to listen to him tonight.

I am actually a big supporter of Trev and by and large have little problem with anything he's done. By the way, Mike Kemp is the actual individual who punted Harrington although Trev was behind it. I don't think Trev, at that time, really understood what he was doing with that one. Maybe this weekend is Harrington's entre' back into the fold, somehow. At a school the size of UNO I don't think Dave can do both jobs and do them well. I, for one, am sick and tired of listening to other team's announcers as well as national television announcers either mispronounce the names of our players or call us "Nebraska" and some such. That falls squarely in the lap of our "Sports Information Director", who, in my opinion, isn't doing either job very well. Jack of all trades, master of none................

We need the pep band back for every game besides having a whole better organist than we have now and we need cheerleaders who can skate. At most hockey schools, you can't even BE a cheerleader if you can't. It's an utter embarrassment to the program.

Your Sapp Field idea is a great one. I never thought of that. Considering that the crowd it sounds like they are gonna have at TD Ameritrade would have probably fit into that venue, anyway...........It would make for a way more intimate setting for the game.

Good game tonight besides the ridiculous goal that Faulkner gave up in the 3rd period. I don't care if Ryan Walters did barely tip it. No way are shots from well outside the blue line supposed to ever go in under any circumstances. We did what we had to do. We must now also do it again tomorrow night.

We need North Dakota to win tomorrow night and MSU and Minnesota to tie. A win by Alaska Anchorage would be nice as well. Those first two things happen besides us taking care of business and we are tied for 1st with SCSU at night's end tomorrow with our next 4 games at home.

Comment

I can't argue with the timing of Harrington being let go and the money issues. That said, if Ahlers listened to that game on the radio tonight I'd be afraid to show my face around campus if I was him. He is so superior to Ahlers it isn't even funny and he did an amazing job tonight for somebody that hasn't called a game in 4 years. Seemed like old times. What a joy that was to listen to him tonight.

I am actually a big supporter of Trev and by and large have little problem with anything he's done. By the way, Mike Kemp is the actual individual who punted Harrington although Trev was behind it. I don't think Trev, at that time, really understood what he was doing with that one. Maybe this weekend is Harrington's entre' back into the fold, somehow. At a school the size of UNO I don't think Dave can do both jobs and do them well. I, for one, am sick and tired of listening to other team's announcers as well as national television announcers either mispronounce the names of our players or call us "Nebraska" and some such. That falls squarely in the lap of our "Sports Information Director", who, in my opinion, isn't doing either job very well. Jack of all trades, master of none................

We need the pep band back for every game besides having a whole better organist than we have now and we need cheerleaders who can skate. At most hockey schools, you can't even BE a cheerleader if you can't. It's an utter embarrassment to the program.

Your Sapp Field idea is a great one. I never thought of that. Considering that the crowd it sounds like they are gonna have at TD Ameritrade would have probably fit into that venue, anyway...........It would make for a way more intimate setting for the game.

Good game tonight besides the ridiculous goal that Faulkner gave up in the 3rd period. I don't care if Ryan Walters did barely tip it. No way are shots from well outside the blue line supposed to ever go in under any circumstances. We did what we had to do. We must now also do it again tomorrow night.

We need North Dakota to win tomorrow night and MSU and Minnesota to tie. A win by Alaska Anchorage would be nice as well. Those first two things happen besides us taking care of business and we are tied for 1st with SCSU at night's end tomorrow with our next 4 games at home.
                            As I remember it Trev made the decision and Mike Kemp made the phone call. Yeah I really miss Greg H.
                            If the huskers do get a D1 team when UNO plays them those announcers will have everyone confused
                            Nebraska vs Nebraska what a train wreck. And all thosehusker fans who don't as yet have a clue about hockey will be lost by the bad verbage. BUT,,, I'll never become a Nebraska Hockey fan. I wonder how many UNO fans will commit mutiny.

I was just glad the Mavs got the W.

Now that I think about it wouldn't it be great to have an outdoor rink on the old football field? I mean a permanant one? Install the Ice nov 15 and leave it until the season is over. have maybe 6 outdoor games including a double header or 2 + have a practice sheet? I wonder if any other school has ever done this.

Comment

Huge sweep for the Mavs this weekend against their nemesis. As far as the outdoor game goes you will be allowed to leave and come back between the games. There are a few bars/restaurants in the immediate area
                              Unleash the fury!

Comment

Big sweep but it did NOTHING for our NCAA chances. We are currently tied for 21st in Pairwise. We were all alone in 22nd about an hour ago but the end of the Miami/Bowling Green game apparently flipped a comparison and moved us up a notch.

5th series sweep of the season for us, now. 3 home, 2 on the road.

We swept Bemidji and we moved down two spots in Pairwise this weekend. Our next opponent, Michigan Tech won't help our cause much either, even if we sweep them. And, I think another sweep this coming weekend is imperative.

The whole thing is goofy for us and I wonder if it is possible that could win the MacNaughton but still aren't ranked high enough in Pairwise to make the NCAA tourney without having some sort of good run in the WCHA tournament. We only have 5 series left and only two of them are against TUCS. At least, both those series are at home. Not having won the Notre Dame game, or one of the Quinnipiac games, or the game we tied in Denver is just killing us in Pairwise right now. It's really tragic when you look at Pairwise because our placement down at 21st really stands out when you look at the standings because of our overall record and our RPI. We look kind of out of place down there.

That's said, it has to be like Al Davis said, "Just win, baby". We do that and hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

We need Montpetit and Raubenheimer back.

Our season, IMHO opinion, literally boils down to wherever John Faulkner does or does not take us. I don't think Coach Blais is real enamored with Faulkner, either, since he said, flat-out, on the pregame show tonight, that he is going to give Dayn Belfour a start. My bet is that it is next weekend.

edit: UNO bettered it's win total from last season tonight.
                                Last edited by Red Cows; 01-27-2013, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X