Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO 2012-13 Season Thread - Blaising To An Xcellent Season?

I don't remember when but UNO has gotten a couple of hat tricks in the last 5 years at home. I don't remember who or when, but there has been at least one.

Comment

Originally posted by BCat View Post
      I don't remember when but UNO has gotten a couple of hat tricks in the last 5 years at home. I don't remember who or when, but there has been at least one.
      Yeah, another one that I missed was Terry Broadhurst's in early 2010 against Ohio State in the first "sell out" game UNO ever had that they won in a shootout (ah, remember the CCHA?). I really don't think there are any more, though, having had more time to think about it, now.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

There's a new sheriff in town.

4th series sweep of the season, now.

Good grief, we've now scored 81 goals this season. That's more than double what two teams in our own conference even have.

For you non-UNO fans, this is the first time in school history that UNO has ever been in first place in either the CCHA or WCHA at any meaningful point of the season. Like, after the first month or so.

Eat our dust. For a week, anyway. Denver, here we come. Tough weekend coming up, again. They all seem to be. Leaving there in the same spot would be quite an accomplishment.
        Last edited by Red Cows; 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Wow first place is nice. This next weekend will show whether the boys have a run in them. DU will be awful tough. Hoping for a split. GO MAVS!

Comment

I love Coach Blais:

Coach Dean Blais told the Omaha World Herald after Saturday night's 3-1 over Colorado College: “It was more of a character win than anything. We're not going to out-talent anyone right now. We've got to, hopefully, outwork them and get a few breaks here and there.”
            Yeah. Right. Despite the fact that UNO has been #1 or #2 in the country in scoring offense for about a month now, has a serious Hobey Baker candidate on the team, has 4 of the WCHA's top 16 scorers on the team, all of whom are in the top 30, nationally and, oh, yeah, and one of those guys also just happens to be the leading scorer in the nation.

Other than that, we have no talent.

I'd like to see what we'd be doing with some talent, then.

It's hilarious that we are the first place team in the WCHA, all by our lonesome, and out of the 6 ranked WCHA teams, we are the lowest ranked at #16. And, the 6th place team in our conference is currently the #1 ranked team in the country. If this isn't the good ole' boy network hard at work, I don't know what is. Makes college football rankings look positively sane. Worse, still, is that I bet we aren't even in the top 10 tomorrow when the poll comes out. No offense, Gophers, but it is pretty easy to see why you guys earn so much enmity from fans of other WCHA teams. I'll be shocked if we move up very much past SCSU, who we are going to for sure pass.

All that aside, Pairwise is all that matters, obviously, and we don't fare much better there. At least if the tournament started tomorrow we'd be in it.
            Last edited by Red Cows; 01-07-2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
              I love Coach Blais:

Yeah. Right. Despite the fact that UNO has been #1 or #2 in the country in scoring offense for about a month now, has a serious Hobey Baker candidate on the team, has 4 of the WCHA's top 16 scorers on the team, all of whom are in the top 30, nationally and, oh, yeah, and one of those guys also just happens to be the leading scorer in the nation.

Other than that, we have no talent.

I'd like to see what we'd be doing with some talent, then.

It's hilarious that we are the first place team in the WCHA, all by our lonesome, and out of the 6 ranked WCHA teams, we are the lowest ranked at #16. And, the 6th place team in our conference is currently the #1 ranked team in the country. If this isn't the good ole' boy network hard at work, I don't know what is. Makes college football rankings look positively sane. Worse, still, is that I bet we aren't even in the top 10 tomorrow when the poll comes out. No offense, Gophers, but it is pretty easy to see why you guys earn so much enmity from fans of other WCHA teams. I'll be shocked if we move up very much past SCSU, who we are going to for sure pass.

All that aside, Pairwise is all that matters, obviously, and we don't fare much better there. At least if the tournament started tomorrow we'd be in it.
              You realize if Minnesota sweeps UAA next weekend at Mariucci (very plausible), they will have the same # of WCHA points as UNO, with the same # of games played, right? Or did you forget to see that Minnesota has played 2 less WCHA games than UNO? Only UND is currently ahead of them in the WCHA standings, due to games in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                You realize if Minnesota sweeps UAA next weekend at Mariucci (very plausible), they will have the same # of WCHA points as UNO, with the same # of games played, right? Or did you forget to see that Minnesota has played 2 less WCHA games than UNO? Only UND is currently ahead of them in the WCHA standings, due to games in hand.
                Yup. Expected. You sweep them and we lose both games at DU (offered as a scenario, only) and you are just tied with us, though. I readily acknowledge the nuttiness of the whole thing. My commentary was only about the current snapshot of things. There is a LONG way to go in the WCHA. I would not be shocked to see ANY of the current top 6 teams end up on top. I can even see very plausible scenarios where Mankato wins the conference. Do not forget that the Mavericks, both purple and red, have 2 of the 3 easiest remaining schedules in the WCHA and that the other of those 3 is Alaska Anchorage, who isn't winning the conference even if they go 14-0-0 the rest of the way.

I can see us plausibly going 11-3-0 the rest of the way, optimistically. There aren't many seasons in the WCHA where 20-7-1 hasn't won the conference. I can even see Mankato going as much as 10-4 in their remaining games. That puts them at 18-10-0. That record would have won a lot of WCHA conference titles. There is a ton of hockey left to played in the WCHA. I'd rather be in our shoes than yours, frankly, looking at the schedule. After your UAA series, you guys have 6 games right in a row against #'s 8, 12, & 19 in Pairwise. Meanwhile, we're playing, at the same time, #9, not a Tuc, and not a Tuc. And, right after that, we play at home against #8 (North Dakota), except that they are going to be doing it in front of the largest indoor crowd in UNO history on Friday night, February 8th, on national television, in front of 16,000+, and then they are going to have to play us again the next afternoon, outdoors, in front of another 25,000 or so. Then, our schedule finishes out against: not a Tuc, not a Tuc, and not a Tuc. Bear in mind these are all conference games.

I like our chances. Particularly when considering who our head coach is.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks to the Omaha fans from some Colorado College fans at the UNO series last weekend.

Everyone is so nice to us in Omaha that even a swept trip is fun !!!

Met some UNO players and Dads - met lots of UNO fans including some who looked me up from last year

Got some free beer and good conversation

Road trip to UNO is a treat for sure

We had one convert - maybe less than 5 years old
                  During the "Lets Go UNO" chant he was saying Tigers instead of UNO
                  Dad said - no you should say UNO
                  Kid said - "No Dad I like Tigers"
                  ---------------------------
                  "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

Comment

Stolarz is headed to the OHL. I assume this is a huge blow to UNO, maybe not this year, but for the next few years.

From GPL:

http://www.omavs.com/news/2013/1/7/M...x?path=mhockey

Comment

Pretty disappointed in Stolarz decision to leave the team. Hopefully Massa returns next year if not that leaves UNO with only one goalie Dayne Belfour.
                      Unleash the fury!

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                        Stolarz is headed to the OHL. I assume this is a huge blow to UNO, maybe not this year, but for the next few years.

From GPL:

http://www.omavs.com/news/2013/1/7/M...x?path=mhockey
                        I'm not overly concerned. I've never been a fan of huge goalies and even though he's listed as 6' 6", he's actually 6' 7", or so I have been told by several people in the know.

Ryan Massa will be back with UNO next season as he wanted a year off this season and redshirted. He basically had taken the job from Faulkner last season and I don't think Faulkner, who is a 5th year senior that had already graduated even before the season started, would have even been back if Massa hadn't taken a year off.

Plus, UNO also has Dayn Belfour waiting in the wings. Yup, those Belfours. He was the only UNO goalie with a winning record last season, I might add.

Comment

Lets be serious here Belfour was not getting to get any serious playing time previously, though I guess he might now. I do wish him the best, but if was a contender he would have played some this year already. It seems to me that one of the best goalies that UNO faced in the last years of the CCHA was Chad Johnson from Alaska (who was pretty tall), really I think someone would have to crunch some numbers to prove that taller goalies are worse. Personally I don't think this is good for UNO, hopefully Massa comes back as I did not think that was an absolute that he was coming back.

Comment

This sucks, we needed Stolarz next year. Who is advising these players? Watching him, he had such potential.

I also believe Belfour will still not get much time, clearly there is a reason he isn't. The coaches and staff that spend time with him everyday know a lot we don't. they are obviously comfortable with him as a backup, he may get a night once or twice, but I see Blais riding Johnny the rest of the way out.

Comment

goodbye quitter. We got no time for quitters. I hope you get stuck in that net when you're not holding the door open. I have no fear. Massa will be back and DEan will find another goalie too. Didn't we have another goalie do that a few years back? Can't remember his name, and it hasn't been on the nhl home page to remind me. Nice sweep fellahs.
                              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by BCat View Post
                                Personally I don't think this is good for UNO, hopefully Massa comes back as I did not think that was an absolute that he was coming back.
                                I haven't heard or seen anything that diverges from this:

http://www.uscho.com/2012/07/11/nebr...sonal-reasons/

Comment

Working...
                                X