Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU at UNH: Are Game Threads a Thing of the Past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU at UNH: Are Game Threads a Thing of the Past?

Second game thread I've had to start the day before a BU game. What gives?

Cats and Dogs, Parker "cheating" by bringing back Poti from the WJCs before the rest of Team USA to help beat UNH in '97. Heron scoring on Matile after a "pick" in the 97 title game. Ryan Whitney giving UNH the 2003 title. Lots of history.

Who are the top freshmen on UNH?
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Re: BU at UNH: Are Game Threads a Thing of the Past?

Yes, I think that game threads are a thing of the past.

Lots of good stuff on UNH frosh on the UNH thread; read C-H-C's blog.

I got my ticket for Saturday night, so looking forward to my first visit to Lake Whitt this season.

Comment

Is USCHO a thing of the past?

Comment

You'll both know the real answer in January.

Comment

For those of us that aren't making the trek to Durham from the Boston area, the game is on TV, in HD. Channel 703 (WBIN) for Comcast Plymouth. Very good quality broadcast.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
            For those of us that aren't making the trek to Durham from the Boston area, the game is on TV, in HD. Channel 703 (WBIN) for Comcast Plymouth. Very good quality broadcast.
            Is there a DirecTV equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Is there a DirecTV equivalent?
              Yep. It's also airing on FOX College Sports (Pacific) channel 623 on DirecTV.

Comment

At least for UNH is board is D.E.A.D!

I have posted a few post game comments to crickets...

So on this game:

1) I would be surprised if it is sold out. UNH's years of poorly treating the "real" fan has caught up to them with the poor records last (few) year(s). My understanding is they are still trying to sell "season" tickets. Also there has been discounting going on so that shows the demand has wained.
                2) I find the prediction on the hockey easy blog funny. They both pick UNH because the game is in Durham, don't they realize this is the reverse home ice series. BU last year finally got back to .500 at Agganis against UNH, by going 4-1 in Boston last year against a terrible UNH team. I can't find it right now but I am fairly certain BU is still over .500 at UNH, I think they are the only vistors to boast a winning record. I know they are the only ones with a sgnificant number of games played (Cornell and Miami might both be over .500 but with less than 3 games played)
                3) UNH isn't playing many freshman - 22 Pesce is the only notable. Plays D and doesn't look that out of place. Fairly large 6'2" but not physical (yet) seems to have a good stick, feet and hockey sense. UNH did play Harry Quast sparingly last Friday but he was out of line up on Saturday. Might see some Freshman 4th line wingers, MacDonald and Gaudreault played Saturday but my guess is you see Willows (so) and Camper (so) who played Friday. At this point at forward they are not depending on them at this time.
                4) UNH's D is big for a UNH blueline crew. Only one smaller than 6'.
                5) TVR - JVR's brother has made a leap forward. If he keeps playing like this UNH might loose him, he is a D-man and controls the game more than JVR ever did. Scroed two goals last weeked at the top of the crease so he will jump in the play. He has offensive skills, smooth and confident with the puck on his stick nice shot, great passes, but is solid in his own end. Looks to have better two way skills then last year and is hard to beat 1 on 1, my guess is practicing with his brother over the summer has improved the 1 on 1 D.
                6) Trend or anomoly to watch - all 9 UNH goals last weekend were scored between the bottom of the circles and top of the crease, some on grinding rebounds but nice plays too. Very unusual for UNH to even be in there forget scoring a pile of goals. Be interesting to see if that continues, was an aboration or SCSU just was sucky down low.
                7) UNH's power play actually had a guy in front of the net, some times 2 with the second being higher up between the circles. Shocking because they have been so stuborn for the last few years at keeping all 5 guys on the outside...
                8) DeSmith has looked good, big square butterfly take everything away down low, may come out a little too far at times. Like all butterfly goalies you beat him by passing to the side he isn't on, duh!
                9) no seniors on the first line
                10) Forward to watch is Downing (so.) played better at the end of last year. Moved to center this year and has an excellent stick.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                  HD? I saw one of the SCSU at UNH games on last weekend. Possibly the worst production quality I've ever seen. 2 cameras zoomed in too far so that you couldn't see the whole play and they were about 20 feet apart from each other so there was no alternate angle replay. Also the mic didn't pick up ice or crowd sounds so it sounded like the play by play was being read from a car in the parking lot. Don't know how much better they got in one week.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    HD? I saw one of the SCSU at UNH games on last weekend. Possibly the worst production quality I've ever seen. 2 cameras zoomed in too far so that you couldn't see the whole play and they were about 20 feet apart from each other so there was no alternate angle replay. Also the mic didn't pick up ice or crowd sounds so it sounded like the play by play was being read from a car in the parking lot. Don't know how much better they got in one week.
                    My understanding is that the audio/video is the same source as (read: pulled from) the webstream, the audio is also the same feed that goes out over the radio broadcast. Not sure that I would agree with "very good quality", Channel 11 broadcasts were much better imo.
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      8) DeSmith has looked good, big square butterfly take everything away down low, may come out a little too far at times. Like all butterfly goalies you beat him by passing to the side he isn't on, duh!
                      I agree DeSmith has looked good so far but I've noticed that his goals allowed have either been no chancers, or soft goals that he appeared to not be ready for. In watching him I've noticed multiple occasions where he appears to give up on a play. Most notably in the first game against SCSU he was just out of the crease to his left, the puck ended up on the stick of a player back to his right with an open net. DeSmith just kind of watched as the SCSU player rang the post, and never made a concerted effort to get in front of it. He's young and still has plenty of room to develop but I think if he can maintain focus that will be a huge improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        2) I can't find it right now but I am fairly certain BU is still over .500 at UNH, I think they are the only vistors to boast a winning record.
                        BU is 11-8-5 (.563) at the Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                          My understanding is that the audio/video is the same source as (read: pulled from) the webstream, the audio is also the same feed that goes out over the radio broadcast. Not sure that I would agree with "very good quality", Channel 11 broadcasts were much better imo.
                          I remember watching a few WBIN broadcasts last year and the audio would sometimes get out of sync with the video by as much as a few seconds. Was more than mildly annoying to say the least. It was nice to have the game on TV but "high production value" it was not.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

The WBIN broadcast last weekend against SCSU was much better quality than any of the games last year, both the audio and video. Not regular sports network quality by any shot but I thought it was decent all things considered. I could be wrong but it also appeared that they switched the regular radio announcers to provide a game call specific for the WBIN/FCS broadcast and brought in a separate crew for the radio only. Lack of camera angles and poor arena lighting for the cameras they use will continue to be an issue at this production level but I will take it over the other option of no broadcast. Hopefully NESN moves to televise more Hockey East games if the NHL lockout shows no sign of ending.

Comment

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
                              Yep. It's also airing on FOX College Sports (Pacific) channel 623 on DirecTV.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X