Alaska Nanooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks

So, it has been about 6 years now since UAF decided to drop the "Fairbanks" off of UAF. I know that most of the Fairbanks newspapers, etc. say "Alaska Nanooks" but Anchorage still says UAF or Alaska-Fairbanks. I have seen some National outlets like CBS College Sports and CCHA say "Alaska" or Alaska Nanooks, but ESPN and others still say Alaska-Fairbanks. Even the GNAC will not recognize and say Alaska Nanooks. So what is the deal? I thought this was supposed to be a National thing a la Nevada instead of Nevada-Reno, etc.

I personally like Alaska or Alaska Nanooks even thought I am a HUGE UAA fan, but if it is not going to gather strength Nationally, why not just add back "Fairbanks" to be consistant around the country?

The reason I bring this up is because I live in Shreveport, LA and there is a big fight with ULL (Louisiana-Laffayette) to call them just "Louisiana" and not ULL. Some do, and some don't. It got me thinking about UAF.

I say go Alaska or Alaska Nanooks! Best of luck to the Nooks (except when play Seawolves! )

Re: Alaska Nanooks

It's a lot more fun when you can still say "You can't spell 'failure' without UAF"
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

There are a lot of things that can be said, and most folks associated with the university seem to be split about 50/50 as to whether they like it.

IMO, it would have made a lot more sense if UAF returned to being just the University of Alaska, which it originally was until UAA came into existence in the 70's.

However, if you are a UAA person you probably know what the politics are in the UA system. The BOR will never let UAF return to its spot as the University of Alaska because the political handwringing from Anchorage would be enough to stop it. If UAA can't have it, UAF can't have it, and vice versa. How UAS manages to co-exist with the sand-kicking its bigger siblings do to each other is kind of fascinating.

As far as the Alaska Nanooks thing goes, I don't really care. They're still the 'Nooks to me.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        There are a lot of things that can be said, and most folks associated with the university seem to be split about 50/50 as to whether they like it.

IMO, it would have made a lot more sense if UAF returned to being just the University of Alaska, which it originally was until UAA came into existence in the 70's.

However, if you are a UAA person you probably know what the politics are in the UA system. The BOR will never let UAF return to its spot as the University of Alaska because the political handwringing from Anchorage would be enough to stop it. If UAA can't have it, UAF can't have it, and vice versa. How UAS manages to co-exist with the sand-kicking its bigger siblings do to each other is kind of fascinating.

As far as the Alaska Nanooks thing goes, I don't really care. They're still the 'Nooks to me.
        OK...how about change UAA to Alaska State University and "give back" UAF to University of Alaska? That makes way to much more sense to me!!!!

Comment

Just wanted to Congrats to the Alaska Nanooks over UND. Heck of a game!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            Just wanted to Congrats to the Alaska Nanooks over UND. Heck of a game!
            Nice of you to say!
            Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Here is a clip that's worth watching! You might have to copy and past it within your web browser for it to work.
              www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku4u9zAmclw
              Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X