THE CCHA LEGACY TOUR: The Fan's Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE CCHA LEGACY TOUR: The Fan's Perspective

In less than two weeks, the final CCHA season will begin. I know some of you will be glad to see it go, others not so much. I, for one, wish it was sticking around. I will miss the annual match ups with Michigan, Michigan State, ND, Miami, Ohio State, and WMU. I’ve known about the CCHA since the late 70s and have followed it off and on since then, even when NMU was in the WCHA for a time.

I know NMU was the first CCHA team to play in a National Championship game back in 1980 losing to NoDak 5 – 2. The players: Bill Joyce, Steve Weeks, Mike Milke, Tom Laidlaw, Don Waddell, Steve Bozek, Jeff Pyle, and current NMU coaches Walt and John Kyle among others, coached by Rick Comley. It was a great team in only its fourth year of existence. I had played high school hockey (not very well) and couldn’t believe how good those guys were. That was a fun year and Lakeview Arena was packed all the time. Those years showed me how good college hockey was and what a competitive league the CCHA would become. Even if there have always been the dominant teams (you know who I’m talking about) on any given night the others might turn the table.

I haven’t been a real close observer of the CCHA like many of you probably have, so I was wondering if any of you would like to share stories of classic CCHA games, playoffs, championships, players, coaches, etc.

So, goodbye CCHA, but before it ends, I think we're in for an exciting, hard fought final season.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Re: THE CCHA LEGACY TOUR: The Fan's Perspective

The smallest school in the conference owning the most national championships. Go Lakers!

Comment

Re: THE CCHA LEGACY TOUR: The Fan's Perspective

Tonight is the beginning of the end of the CCHA.

Thought I'd at least post this article Northern Michigan hockey's Top 10 CCHA milestones from the Mining Journal.

Have a great final CCHA season everyone!
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
      X