• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

For the record, I'm still optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      Sieve Chicken maybe in attendance Friday night, did someone step forward to carry on that good fight?

Upon further review ...
      12/1: I reckon it's important to score more than 3 goals in a 4-game span, too. Reminds me of Fall '08.
      Sieve Chicken was there, but he wasn't suspended by anything. The students are looking for a used hockey stick to hang him by.

And yes, the lack of scoring was frustrating, but OSU and Miami are both extremely solid defensively, and Hjelle had an excellent weekend for OSU. That said, with Notre Dame and Ferris State coming up, MSU's not going to see softer defense anytime soon.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        For the record, I'm still optimistic.
        So am I, but I worry that we are digging too much of a hole here with Notre Dame coming up. I am not overly optimistic we will win that series. I was never expecting to compete for the CCHA title this year, but I'd like to see us be somewhere in the general vicinity of it in December here.

It was a tough weekend. OSU played very well and didn't make many mistakes, also their Goaltender was also fantastic. Our team played hard and was right there all weekend. We are just not getting the breaks and it feels like this team cannot win a game unless they completely take it. There will be many, many close games with this team and right now we aren't getting that extra bounce.

This team has to find a way to score goals, though. The last 2 weeks make us appear to be just like the football team. It's pretty absurd to play four straight games allowing no more than 2 goals and to go 0-3-1.
        Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Well, we're in a hole now, but not exactly one that we didn't see potentially coming.

Hung in there tough on friday adn then Saturday, played very well at times and got blown up. That's just how things are going for us these days.

I have a feeling that we won't be seeing Yanakeff until the U18 team comes in in a month and a half or so. I don't know if he's in a total rut or is having bad luck and can't do anything about these goals or what, but Hildebrand, whether we have played well or not, has kept us in every single game.

Reimer got dinged on friday as well but it apparently isn't serious. I don't think he will be playing this weekend as Scott Moore said "a couple weeks."

Also, there has been a few games where we have been short a forward and Anastos has chosen to skate 3 forward lines and 2 additional forwards. Isn't Connor Wood still on this team? A freshman forward? Why isn't he dressing?

Comment

What in the holy ****ing name of all that is human???

Comment

Had to go 4 pages back but I found it!

Still got those season tickets.

Comment

Hildebrand once again played his tail off and the team couldn't come through. It's like the football team all over again; great defense with a flat out awful offense.

I don't know what was up with that first period. Incredibly physical to start but turned incredibly dirty soon after, and made the second and third periods seem polite in comparison.

Is there a particular reason our guys are scared to shoot on the power play? Watching Tech during the GLI, if they didn't score on the PP they were at least getting great chances because they would put it on net and hope for a screen or a rebound. Last night it looked incredibly obvious these guys are afraid to shoot without the perfect opportunity to do so because they believe they'll lose the puck and not have another chance to set up in the zone. I suppose that is a good reason though since on occasion it's almost a blessing to be able to set up the power play. A prime of example of that was last night when we had the puck in their zone for about 15 seconds on a full 2 minute PP.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Hildebrand once again played his tail off and the team couldn't come through. It's like the football team all over again; great defense with a flat out awful offense.

I don't know what was up with that first period. Incredibly physical to start but turned incredibly dirty soon after, and made the second and third periods seem polite in comparison.

Is there a particular reason our guys are scared to shoot on the power play? Watching Tech during the GLI, if they didn't score on the PP they were at least getting great chances because they would put it on net and hope for a screen or a rebound. Last night it looked incredibly obvious these guys are afraid to shoot without the perfect opportunity to do so because they believe they'll lose the puck and not have another chance to set up in the zone. I suppose that is a good reason though since on occasion it's almost a blessing to be able to set up the power play. A prime of example of that was last night when we had the puck in their zone for about 15 seconds on a full 2 minute PP.
                  I actually thought the team played pretty well last night. The game was mostly evenly played and ND is a really, really good team.

I can't figure out why this team can't score. We might score less than that awful 2008 team which is wild since comparing the experience of actually watching the 2 teams shift by shift, this year's team is far better. It is a complete mystery why these guys can do everything well except score a **** goal.

Nevertheless, I think if we play as solid as we did last night, we will get rewarded.

As for the PP, we had a couple good ones and a terrible one. ND was getting in the shooting lanes and the players will not shoot if they think it is going to be blocked. I hate it when you have fans screaming at the players to shoot the puck, so they finally do and it gets blocked which is inevitably followed by those fans getting all ****ed.

Comment

As a Buckeye fan you guys still scare me to death if they meet in a playoff series. All it takes is a hot goalie and a couple of Bounces to win a playoff series. Hildebrand played his tale off in that series in East Lansing and i for one would not want to meet him in a series.

Comment

Hey! We got more than zero goals and won! Funny how that works. Being in the student section I didn't really have a good look at the two (three) goals in the second period. I have no idea why they called off the first 5-on-3 goal, but judging by the way Summerhays reacted I can only assume goalie interference. That whole play was odd though as the ref signaled for a goal a good two or three seconds before the goal light went on. I was impressed with the team tonight with the exception of the middle of the third when they couldn't stay out of the box. Hopefully this springs some momentum for Ferris next weekend.

Hildebrand has given up three or more goals twice this season. If this team finds a way to score three times, even just twice on most nights, it's a victory. The problem is that can be a reach for this team sometimes.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Hey! We got more than zero goals and won! Funny how that works. Being in the student section I didn't really have a good look at the two (three) goals in the second period. I have no idea why they called off the first 5-on-3 goal, but judging by the way Summerhays reacted I can only assume goalie interference. That whole play was odd though as the ref signaled for a goal a good two or three seconds before the goal light went on. I was impressed with the team tonight with the exception of the middle of the third when they couldn't stay out of the box. Hopefully this springs some momentum for Ferris next weekend.

Hildebrand has given up three or more goals twice this season. If this team finds a way to score three times, even just twice on most nights, it's a victory. The problem is that can be a reach for this team sometimes.
                        In response to the waived off goal: the ref signaled that we scored before the puck actually went in the net. When he signals, I guess that is the same as blowing the whistle and therefore the play is dead. So, when the puck actually crossed the line, it can't count as a goal due to ref error. There wasn't any goaltender interference but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Summerhays shove the net at the ref.

Comment

Boy, nothing like a good win to get you feeling like maybe the team can go on a sweet run here. Obviously, qualifying for the NCAA tournament is out of the question barring winning the CCHA playoffs but I would love to see us string multiple wins together and move up in the standings. I believe we can definitely do it as we have quite a few home games remaining. We just need to find the back of the net more. How? I have no idea. I thought we played better on friday and we got shut out. I don't doubt this team's ability to skate and compete well but I just hope that whatever we had offensively last night sticks around. If it does, that combined with Hildebrand's unflappably consistent goaltending, can win us some games.

Also, this season feels strange to me. You'd think i'd be pulling my hair out over a 6-13 record but I never have. The most concerned I ever really was was after the first game against Michigan. Then the next night we won 7-2... Maybe it's because we knew that this season was going to involve some rebuilding and I honestly think we are better than our record. Maybe feeling the team is better than the stats will show and already not having any sort of big expectations makes this easy. I honestly believe that we will have a big rebound next year. I am excited about the incoming freshman and as long as guys like Berry, Deblouw Darnell etc.. don't jet in the offseason for whatever reason, then I think we will be a very strong team.
                          Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            As a Buckeye fan you guys still scare me to death if they meet in a playoff series. All it takes is a hot goalie and a couple of Bounces to win a playoff series. Hildebrand played his tale off in that series in East Lansing and i for one would not want to meet him in a series.
                            He seems pretty unstoppable most nights. However, we can say the same thing about OSU's Jelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                              He seems pretty unstoppable most nights. However, we can say the same thing about OSU's Jelly.
                              Yea Brady is pretty solid on most nights too.

Comment

I've got to say that's as solid a weekend as I've seen MSU play this season, despite the mixed results. They played defensively as well as they could for nearly six periods. They were rewarded on Saturday for the work they did on Friday, but it could very well have been a 6-5 game on Saturday were it not for some incredible goaltending on both ends. Berry could have easily tallied two of his own were it not for some outright robbery by Summerhays.

Could this be that magic springboard they needed? Probably need to see what happens on Friday to know that for sure. State needs to come right back against a team they looked just pathetic against the previous weekend.
                                Last edited by owslachief; 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X