Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long awaited UNO arena announcement

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012101...lleyball-hoops

It's where it needs to be, it's just too small.

UNO sold out every game they ever played in the Omaha Civic Auditorium, prior to moving the Qwest Center, now Centurylink Center.

Why would you build a 7,500 seat rink when you sold out 131 games in a row in an arena that seats 8,314? This is a program that has had no trouble putting 5 figures in the stands at the Clink for meaningful games against marquee teams and has drawn more than 15,000 on a couple occasions. They need to build something that, size-wise, is more along the lines of the Ralph. I think we are leaving money on the table here. UNO averaged more than 7,500 last season, and, has for 9 seasons out of the 15 years of the program's existence.

I realize they'd own the building and reap all the rewards that go with that. That said, this is foolhardy.

I'm happy and bummed, all at the same time.

Re: Long awaited UNO arena announcement

Congratulations, I think.

Comment

What is the point of building a 10,000 seat arena when you have to give away tickets? IMO, 8,000 seats would be a great starting point.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

UNO sold out every game they ever played in the Omaha Civic Auditorium, prior to moving the Qwest Center, now Centurylink Center.

Why would you build a 7,500 seat rink when you sold out 131 games in a row in an arena that seats 8,314? This is a program that has had no trouble putting 5 figures in the stands at the Clink for meaningful games against marquee teams and has drawn more than 15,000 on a couple occasions. They need to build something that, size-wise, is more along the lines of the Ralph. I think we are leaving money on the table here. UNO averaged more than 7,500 last season, and, has for 9 seasons out of the 15 years of the program's existence.

I realize they'd own the building and reap all the rewards that go with that. That said, this is foolhardy.

I'm happy and bummed, all at the same time.
        Really highlights an awesome success story. Many probably would have thought a college program in Nebraska would have had no chance. I spose it struggles in other B10 states because there is so much pro competition. Regardless congrats on what has become a great program success story.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

I think you answered your own question when you said that the old Omaha Civic Auditorium sold out every night. Not so much at the Qwest.
          UNO fans definitely support their program, but not in a 8,000+ arena every game. You said "marquee" games. So, how many games does that make per season?
          I think it was prudent to have a facility that can fit the typical attendance all of the time and not have capital sunk into a half empty palace.
          As much as your fanbase wants to believe it, you are not UND, Wisconsin or Minnesota. Congratulations, anyway.

Comment

Figuring 18 home games a year the UNO hockey program will produce income at a home arena for about 72 hours - 3 days - a year. Arena operating and maintenance expenses accrue 365 days a year. Operating a successful arena depends upon what goes on in the arena those other 362 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
              One look at attendance for the Ice Breaker championship game this weekend (which inlcuded UNO) would be justification enough to not build a bigger rink. More open seats than filled seats for that "meaningful" game.

Also keep in mind who you'll be playing starting next season:
              Colorado College - Fans don't travel
              Western MI - Too far to drive
              Miami - Too far to drive
              Duluth - Too far to drive
              SCSU - Too far to drive

I could see UND bring a fair number of people down to UNO and Denver maybe just because they're close but other than that if you can't fill it with the locals, the seats will be empty.

Ryan J
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Anyone in sports management will tell you its better to have too small an arena/stadium than too big. The most important thing is to maximize revenue.
                Last edited by dggoddard; 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I'll have more to say on the topic when I have a little more time.

In the mean time, here is how this is playing out with UNO fan other than myself:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9020

Comment

Arena news in Omaha by the boatload. In case you didn't know, another arena (Ralston Arena) opened here this week:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012101...-million-arena

Article about both UNO's proposed new arena and the new Ralston Arena:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012102...ers-must-adapt

How financing is being done for UNO's new arena (creatively, I might add):

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012102...-cost-of-arena

Comment

7,500 should be fine. Lets realize that UNO was giving away a ton of tickets even against the big name opponents. Plenty of schools with more history and hardware do fine in similarly or smaller arenas.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        Anyone in sports management will tell you its better to have too small arena or stadium than too big. The most important thing to maximize revenue.
                        Fewer seats combined with popularity creates high demand meaning you can charge more for the seats you have.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

too small. It needs to seat at least 8000 at the start with an expandable end like the Clink had. If it was expandable from 8300 to 9k it would get the job done. Trev should also have turned the old football field into a nice baseball stadium instead of a soccer field. The only people who give a rip about soccer in this town are the bluejay catholics.
                          UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

"Attendance" is not the key number, it is "Paid Attendance." Why build a big palace, if it is filled with free seats? With all the seats they give away, why does anybody pay for their seat at all? Why not just go get a free one? Giving away seats is not a long-term solution, it merely provides some short-term window dressing. If you're only actually selling 5K now, I wouldn't expect you to fill 7500 with paid attendance. Going to a smaller arena will probably increase your paid attendance as people who were on the fence before but knew they could get a seat might now go ahead and buy that seat to be sure. But to build a 10,000 seat arena to give away 5,000 tickets is not fiscally responsible.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

If you build a smaller arena, you can have more of a demand for a ticket, with that you get higher ticket prices, then you can increase revenue.

Also, it's not a hockey only building, what do the basketball and volleyball teams draw?

Comment

Working...
                              X