NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

NMU never releases their schedule or roster in timely manners. Don't hold your breath. I usually track the other schools to see when they play NMU and write them down before thinking about nmu sports page.

Comment

Originally posted by RamboWildcat View Post
      NMU never releases their schedule or roster in timely manners. Don't hold your breath. I usually track the other schools to see when they play NMU and write them down before thinking about nmu sports page.
      LSSU is even worse. Maybe things will change with the schools being in the WCHA.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by RamboWildcat View Post
        Hard to release the before they're complete. NMU has to replace the home series against Huntsville that is now a WCHA series. So now they have to find a way to fill that series. They always announce it when the entire schedule when it's all signed, sealed and delivered. Same with the roster, you don't know for sure who is on it until late September.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Hard to release the before they're complete. NMU has to replace the home series against Huntsville that is now a WCHA series. So now they have to find a way to fill that series. They always announce it when the entire schedule when it's all signed, sealed and delivered. Same with the roster, you don't know for sure who is on it until late September.
          I think you're simplifying the scheduling changes a bit more than they really are.

As of early January, I presume (and ignoring the Alaska rule) there was a schedule drawn up that had NMU playing eight other WCHA schools for 28 games, with non-conference opponents of UAH, UND, and Wisconsin.

You can't just "make it a WCHA series." Somewhere, the schedule had to be changed to still be 28 games, with UND and Wisconsin as non-conference. Yes, they still need to fill the non-conference portion (especially if we're traveling TO both Alaska's); but NMU could still do like BGSU and release their conference schedule. Hell, even a schedule matrix would work.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            I think you're simplifying the scheduling changes a bit more than they really are.

As of early January, I presume (and ignoring the Alaska rule) there was a schedule drawn up that had NMU playing eight other WCHA schools for 28 games, with non-conference opponents of UAH, UND, and Wisconsin.

You can't just "make it a WCHA series." Somewhere, the schedule had to be changed to still be 28 games, with UND and Wisconsin as non-conference. Yes, they still need to fill the non-conference portion (especially if we're traveling TO both Alaska's); but NMU could still do like BGSU and release their conference schedule. Hell, even a schedule matrix would work.
            there are still things to be worked out within the conference schedule. For instance, will the Tech series both be split, one game in Houghton, one in Marquette, or will there be a two game series in Houghton and a two game series in Marquette? Nothing is set in stone at this point.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Is it too early to guess on which weekend in March 2014 the WCHA Final Four in Grand Rapids will take place?

I wonder if there will be a "host hotel" in Grand Rapids like the Ren Cen in Detroit. I remember the Radisson in St. Paul back in the early 90's was the host hotel. Great times.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                Is it too early to guess on which weekend in March 2014 the WCHA Final Four in Grand Rapids will take place?

I wonder if there will be a "host hotel" in Grand Rapids like the Ren Cen in Detroit. I remember the Radisson in St. Paul back in the early 90's was the host hotel. Great times.
                We know from BGSU that March 7th and 8th is the final weekend of WCHA play. Only one round of playoffs, which would have to take place on March 14th, 15th, (and possibly) 16th, would mean that the Championship weekend is the 21st and 22nd. No idea if they're Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday. I would presume Friday-Saturday since the CCHA hosting Saturday-Sunday this year was a one time farewell deal.

Selection Sunday is the 23rd of March, with first round NCAA regionals the 29th, 30th, and 31st at Bridgeport, Connecticut; Worcester, Massachusetts; Cincinnati, Ohio; and St. Paul, Minnesota.

Figuring out playoff weekends years in advance is easy thanks to the NCAA's future regional selections.

As for host hotels:
                http://vanandelarena.com/hotels

I'd venture to guess the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Courtyard by Marriott or the JW Marriott; which all three are connected via skywalk to Van Andel Arena.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  We know from BGSU that March 7th and 8th is the final weekend of WCHA play. Only one round of playoffs, which would have to take place on March 14th, 15th, (and possibly) 16th, would mean that the Championship weekend is the 21st and 22nd. No idea if they're Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday. I would presume Friday-Saturday since the CCHA hosting Saturday-Sunday this year was a one time farewell deal.

Selection Sunday is the 23rd of March, with first round NCAA regionals the 29th, 30th, and 31st at Bridgeport, Connecticut; Worcester, Massachusetts; Cincinnati, Ohio; and St. Paul, Minnesota.

Figuring out playoff weekends years in advance is easy thanks to the NCAA's future regional selections.

As for host hotels:
                  http://vanandelarena.com/hotels

I'd venture to guess the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Courtyard by Marriott or the JW Marriott; which all three are connected via skywalk to Van Andel Arena.
                  Then I have something to plan for.

It's been so long since I've been to an NMU game; I'm having withdrawals. And I'm hoping, if hosting the local Wildcat Night Across the Country again, I can bring a group back to Marquette or something.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

That's exactly what they did. The dates that NMU had scheduled for a home non-conference series vs Alabama-Huntsville are now WCHA games. Many other changes were made in the original schedule as well. As a result, a weekend that had been a conference series is now open and NMU iis scrambling to find someone to play here in non-conference play on one of the open weekends. Two home games that were on the schedule are no longer there, which will result in lost revenue if that spot cannot be filled.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      That's exactly what they did. The dates that NMU had scheduled for a home non-conference series vs Alabama-Huntsville are now WCHA games. Many other changes were made in the original schedule as well. As a result, a weekend that had been a conference series is now open and NMU iis scrambling to find someone to play here in non-conference play on one of the open weekends. Two home games that were on the schedule are no longer there, which will result in lost revenue if that spot cannot be filled.
                      I would have to think chances of filling that empty spot now would be slim to none.

So from what I've been gathering from other posts, in addition to four games with Tech the Cats will play UAH here and down there? Or did that non-conference UAH home series turn into a WCHA road series?

Comment

Originally posted by miningjournal.net View Post
                        "possibly one junior goaltender could be playing [his] final games at the Berry Events Center...Coreau, who is expected to forgo his senior season and turn pro this spring."
                        See more at: Northern-Michigan-hockey-still-hopeful-for-home-ice-taking-on-Lake-Superior-State

I'm sure many, if not all of you, could see this coming--I kind of figured. I don't know...I hope he, like Justin Florek, decides to stay for his senior season. I know it's exciting to go to the next level, but you have one more year of university education and another year of college hockey that could prove interesting in a new league, why not finish? This season has certainly not been an overly stellar one for Coreau and as a big goaltender I don't think he's any better than Brian Stewart was, whose stats were similar, if not better, in college.

Some of you will have better insight into this than me, but I hope Coreau stays.
                        Last edited by aygwm2; 03-01-2013, 05:53 PM.
                        NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Please beat ScUM this weekend and end their NCAA tournament streak.
                          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                            Please beat ScUM this weekend and end their NCAA tournament streak.
                            LOL. When are you guys gonna start yours?

Oh he mad.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                              I would have to think chances of filling that empty spot now would be slim to none.

So from what I've been gathering from other posts, in addition to four games with Tech the Cats will play UAH here and down there? Or did that non-conference UAH home series turn into a WCHA road series?
                              That non-conference home UAH series is now a WCHA series and NMU will go to UAH for a conference series as well, according to the commish.

Comment

davyd,

What about Coreau leaving after this season? Is that pretty much a given? I, for one, hope not.

Is there any arm twisting you can do?
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X