Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Hockey 2012-2013 Season Thread

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
    Kind of sorry I mentioned the shootout in my post (below or above) that devolved into an analysis of the Anastos CCHA tenure.

What I really wanted to know is what you all think of NMU's chances going forward against the 5 remaining nWCHA opponents and the 2 B1G foes.

I think if we can sustain and build on what we've seen in the past four games things are looking up. We haven't performed very well against tOSU of late (though on the road), so I'm hoping the 'cats can turn it around against the bugeyes this weekend at home.

After this weekend it's UAF, idle, FSU, Tech, Sparty, BG, and LSSU.

Also, I figure you've had this conversation before, but how much advantage does it give NMU when they play on the 200 x 100 sheet? Do you think it does give them an edge and consequently hinder them when they play on the smaller ice surfaces? How many other CCHA or WCHA teams play on the "big ice." Just curious.
    If the team doesn't get bit by the injury bug like it did in the first half (we were without 5 of our top 9 forwards for the OSU series in Columbus), get strong goaltending and continue to play up to our capabilities, the sky's the limit, but lose a Thurber, Seckel, Daugherty, Vigier, MacAulay or Ludwig, or Coreau for any period of time and it could be quite difficult. As far as the size of the ice surface, I think the team plays better on the bigger sheet. In the CCHA, Fairbanks has big ice, Notre Dame has a 90' wide sheet and all the rest are regulation 200x85. In the current WCHA, six of the 12 schools have Olympic sheets. Minnesota, Wisconsin, St Cloud, Colorado College will leave the league at the end of the year, while Anchorage and Mankato will remain. As for NMU refiguring the surface to a regulation sheet, that would be very costly to do, so I think there is very little chance that happens.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
      Kind of sorry I mentioned the shootout in my post (below or above) that devolved into an analysis of the Anastos CCHA tenure.

What I really wanted to know is what you all think of NMU's chances going forward against the 5 remaining nWCHA opponents and the 2 B1G foes.

I think if we can sustain and build on what we've seen in the past four games things are looking up. We haven't performed very well against tOSU of late (though on the road), so I'm hoping the 'cats can turn it around against the bugeyes this weekend at home.

After this weekend it's UAF, idle, FSU, Tech, Sparty, BG, and LSSU.

Also, I figure you've had this conversation before, but how much advantage does it give NMU when they play on the 200 x 100 sheet? Do you think it does give them an edge and consequently hinder them when they play on the smaller ice surfaces? How many other CCHA or WCHA teams play on the "big ice." Just curious.
      From my own experience... you get acustomed to the ice you train on. When a small sheet team comes to town, we have an advantage. Just like.in wrestling, where you develop mat awareness, a player anticipates the width and length when being pushed back against the boards. It is not huge... but it matters IMO.

I know SCSU has big ice. Although the announcers from.there kept saying how hard it must have been for us skating on it. They thought we had a small sheet.
      Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        They are the ones who put people in the seats at the Joe. They are the ones who draw viewers to FSN.
        I think WMU will disagree with you about putting butts in the seats. The past two years, the WMU contingent at the Joe has been extremely significant, outnumbering that of any other school in attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by WMU_Flyboy View Post
          I think WMU will disagree with you about putting butts in the seats. The past two years, the WMU contingent at the Joe has been extremely significant, outnumbering that of any other school in attendance.
          That's the past two years. Where were they the rest of the time? The WMU crowds were very good the past two seasons for sure, and it was great that they were rewarded with a win. NMU has also put some nice crowds there as well at times. but over the course of the tourney at the Joe, which schools have put the most butts in the seats for the event?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            That's the past two years. Where were they the rest of the time? The WMU crowds were very good the past two seasons for sure, and it was great that they were rewarded with a win. NMU has also put some nice crowds there as well at times. but over the course of the tourney at the Joe, which schools have put the most butts in the seats for the event?
            The two teams that are closest to the stadium.
            Go Cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Well there was a stretch around 03 to 06 or so where NMU ended WMU's postseason.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Another outstanding weekend. That makes 3 in a row. I mentioned a few weeks earlier how NMU has had a monster second half of the season after a disapointing first before. Well now they are tied for 15th in PWR. Thank you guys! Now its time to face Alaska on the road!
                Go Cats!

Comment

Things seem to be coming together of late. The forward lines are working together much better and the defense has begun to play as we expected they would. Obviously, with Alaska on a hot streak as well, it will be a tough series up in Fairbanks. Surprisingly, we are in a much better position in the CCHA then as far back as...Friday!!! Keep the momentum going!

Records after the tOSU series*:

New WCHA: 2-2-1, 1 SOW
                  B1G: 5-2-1, 1 SOL
                  NCHC: 4-4-2, 2 SOL
                  HE: 0-2-0

Remaining:

2 vs. B1G
                  9 vs. nWCHA

*credit: aparch
                  NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

• Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                    Things seem to be coming together of late. The forward lines are working together much better and the defense has begun to play as we expected they would. Obviously, with Alaska on a hot streak as well, it will be a tough series up in Fairbanks. Surprisingly, we are in a much better position in the CCHA then as far back as...Friday!!! Keep the momentum going!

Records after the tOSU series*:

New WCHA: 2-2-1, 1 SOW
                    B1G: 5-2-1, 1 SOL
                    NCHC: 4-4-2, 2 SOL
                    HE: 0-2-0

Remaining:

2 vs. B1G
                    9 vs. nWCHA

*credit: aparch
                    The biggest factor in things coming together has been a full, healthy lineup. Seckel, Thurber, Nowick and Rose all missed significant time and others were playing at well less than 100% due to injury.

Comment

The biggest factor in things coming together has been a full, healthy lineup. Seckel, Thurber, Nowick and Rose all missed significant time and others were playing at well less than 100% due to injury.
                      Right, I agree.

davyd, Last night you were commenting on how the OSU rivalry used to more contentious and heated. I think I told this story when I first started posting, but I used to work at the Ramada Inn in downtown Marquette back in the late 70s, early 80s. I remember one year, it was either '79 or '80, I cannot remember, after a crazy, hard fought series between the 'Cats and the buckeyes, that the buckeye players, who had been staying at the Ramada Inn that weekend, absolutely trashed the indoor pool area. Trash, chairs, bottles, stuff in the pool; detergent or shampoo or some kind of bubble producing substance in the hot-tub; it was quite a project to clean the area up. I think management at the time then banned the OSU hockey team from staying at the Ramada. As a late teen or early twenty year old, I think I thought the OSU players were simply emulating the rockstars of the day. The games I used to see at Lakeview Arena in the late '70s early '80s seem to have been much more physical then the college hockey I see today. The buckeye team I watched this weekend did not seem to be playing with much passion like OSU teams of days gone by.
                      Last edited by aygwm2; 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Right, I agree.

davyd, Last night you were commenting on how the OSU rivalry used to more contentious and heated. I think I told this story when I first started posting, but I used to work at the Ramada Inn in downtown Marquette back in the late 70s, early 80s. I remember one year, it was either '79 or '80, I cannot remember, after a crazy, hard fought series between the 'Cats and the buckeyes, that the buckeye players, who had been staying at the Ramada Inn that weekend, absolutely trashed the indoor pool area. Trash, chairs, bottles, stuff in the pool; detergent or shampoo or some kind of bubble producing substance in the hot-tub; it was quite a project to clean the area up. I think management at the time then banned the OSU hockey team form staying at the Ramada. As a late teen or early twenty year old, I think I thought the OSU players were simply emulating the rockstars of the day. The games I used to see at Lakeview Arena in the late '70s early '80s seem to have been much more physical then the college hockey I see today. The buckeye team I watched this weekend did not seem to be playing with much passion like OSU teams of days gone by.
                        Hockey itself used to be a far more physical game. It's not the players, it's the attempt to protect the players that have all but eliminated the big hit.

Comment

Taken from the New Conference Idea thread:

Their producers aren't worth a darn either. At last year's Michigan-Northern Michigan game at Yost, the fonted NMU as "UNM." I didn't know the university of New Mexico had a college hockey team. Their college hockey production fell far short of what FSN put out the following night! Morons!
                          They're not the only ones who screw up Northern Michigan University. If you look at USA Hockey's Week 15 poll (click on Week 15) and the USCHO's posting of the USA Today/USA Hockey January 21 poll, you'll see University of Northern Michigan. And these are folks who are in the business of hockey. Whatever...
                          Last edited by aygwm2; 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Taken from the New Conference Idea thread:

They're not the only ones who screw up Northern Michigan University. If you look at USA Hockey's Week 15 poll and the USCHO's posting of the USA Today/USA Hockey January 21 poll, you'll see University of Northern Michigan. And these are folks who are in the business of hockey. Whatever...
                            Poles don't matter
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Poles don't matter
                              Poles do matter. Polls may not.

Comment

On the bright side of things in this bye weekend: Thurber named CCHA player of the month

*****http://www.ccha.com/assets/1/workflow_staging/Lists/511x289/20212.JPG******

Also, I was wondering what the snow conditions are like in the UP right now after the melt-down earlier this week. Looks like NMU is hosting the CCSA Championships and that there was new snow over the depleted base. How much snow do you all have up there right now?

Comment

Working...
                                X