BC at NU 10/13/12: the building rivalry renews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC at NU 10/13/12: the building rivalry renews

Ok BC don't get all riled up about the rivalry thing. There is one. Too bad. Even your players think there is one (see Almeida? in a post game interview last season).

ANYWAY... Should be a good one. Usually very close games at Matthews between these two. Expect a packed house. Should be interesting as both our teams are young on the blue line this year.
    GO NU!
    --------------------------------------------------
    2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS (no, srsly)

Re: BC at NU 10/13/12: the building rivalry renews

I know one thing. It's as tough a place for BC to get a W as anywhere. Always a good battle at the old barn. Looking forward to it.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      I know one thing. It's as tough a place for BC to get a W as anywhere. Always a good battle at the old barn. Looking forward to it.
      even the games at Conte/Garden have been barn burners the past few years...............rivalry though? sure, a HE/Beanpot rival, but for me, that's as far as it goes. I think for a rivalry you have to have a genuine dislike for the other team. I like NU and root for Huskies except when they play my alma mater

Comment

Originally posted by thebleedenator View Post
        Ok BC don't get all riled up about the rivalry thing. There is one. Too bad. Even your players think there is one (see Almeida? in a post game interview last season).
        Can you imagine a York coached player being asked about any HE opponent post game and saying "Nah, they're not one of our rivals, we care about winning against them but it doesn't mean as much as it does when we beat other teams."? Me neither.

Comment

Originally posted by thebleedenator View Post
          Whether or not there is a rivalry (to some degree there is a rivalry with every team you play regularly in any sport), you NU people sure are desperate to call BC and BU your "rivals" every chance you get.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I'll let the rivalry thing go.

Matthews hasn't been too kind to BC recently but there have been some great BC-NU games there recently.

Looking forward to my premium, unobstructed seats.

Comment

Fun to watch fast teams (as BC is).. up close at the barn. Very good gms between these 2, last couple seasons..
              Matthews Arena rocks with atmosphere like that. When it gets going, as i suspect it will Saturday.. just an awesome college hockey experience. We got our work cut out.. but hey, pressure is on seed #1. go Huskies!
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I don't think it's a rivalry to be honest but there is always a little extra when any of the Boston teams play. For NU, playing BC is a measuring stick. It takes 3 full periods and absolute attentiveness defensively.

Should be fun watching Roy and Gaudreau on the same ice sheet though.

The INCH preview for Hockey East was kind of funny, calling Parker Milner the best player in the conference. Put him on Vermont and then check how good his stats are. Milner isn't even the best player on BC.
                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                  The INCH preview for Hockey East was kind of funny, calling Parker Milner the best player in the conference. Put him on Vermont and then check how good his stats are. Milner isn't even the best player on BC.
                  Crazy to say but the jury is still out on Milner. He clearly has shown what he is capable of. What will he be like without Cross and Dumoulin? Obviously there's going to be some freshmen on D. Can he step it up and help them out, especially early, as they get their footing in D1? All that being said, we've seen him absolutely steal games for BC even during that crazy 19 game win streak while BC was sleepwalking through early parts of the games. He was huge against Umass in the QFs without much defensive help there for quite a while. Didn't look great vs. PC in the semis to be honest. Then went back into the zone and was great vs. AFA, UMD, Minnesota, and Ferris Bueller. BC really just has to let him see pucks and keep the front of the net clear (move bodies and rebounds) and I think he'll do very well.

And yes, you're right, best player on BC (and the league) is Billy Arnold and I can't come up with anyone even close to him in the league.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

And yes, you're right, best player on BC (and the league) is Billy Arnold and I can't come up with anyone even close to him in the league.
                    Ask the UML guys, they can come up with a full roster.

As for rivalry, outside of the Beanpot game last year, I think the two teams had combined to play like 7 one goal games in a row across all events that they had played in going back two season or so. Problem was that NU only came up with 1 win and I think 2 ties in that stretch. They were all excellent games though. Some low scoring, some quite high scoring, there was a 7-7 tie in there.

So while I think NU likes to judge itself up against BC, as a NU fan, its a bit silly because BC always seems to have just a little bit more then what we have. The problem for NU is that we do not play the rest of the Hockey East teams with the same intensity that we play BC. If we did, we would be in the running for home ice every year. For BC, they get everybody's best game night in and night out, so they know how to play at that level and can crank it up when necessary, and NU cannot reach that level.

For tomorrow, I expect a probably high scoring affair, with BC coming out on top. NU forwards are actually alot deeper then they have been in years, it is going to take some teams by surprise that their third d-pairing is overwhelmed. In typical BC fashion, they will let the defense sort itself out the first half of the year knowing that the season for them is not won or lost with a game the opening weekend in October. So I expect NU to get some goals unless Milner stands on his head. The problem will be NU's defense is also sorting itself out with three new bodies back there, two freshmen and a transfer from Army. They played well against Merrimack for their first game out, but lets be honest, Merrimack forwards vs. BC forwards is night and day. BC's top line will score three goals in their sleep. Merrimack's forwards will have a tough time scoring three in a weekend.

Then you throw Rawlings in the mix who has had some good games against BC, but again, has been a part of a ton of 1 goal losses against them, and its tough to see NU coming out on top.

Now, would I be surprised if NU can steal this one, no, it will probably be the best chance they have of getting points off of BC. First game of the year for BC and the new defense against some pretty experienced forwards for NU, but in the end, BC has had NU's number more or less forever, but lets keep this conversation in the recent, and even with recent history, BC has always had just enough to come out with the W.
                    DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Why are certain NU fans obsessed with telling others that NU is a rival? Seems like they are the ones who should let it go.

And for the record, I think it is a rivalry for the simple fact that they've played 215 times. The only opponent BC has played more is the redheaded stepchild down the other end of Comm Ave. That being said, BC has a 155-46 edge in wins in the series and it's not like NU has closed the gap in recent years. So it ain't that much of a rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        He may not be the best in the league or best on BC, but throwing your UVM jab in there is misleading. I can't blame you if you weren't paying attention at the end of last year, but Milner was fantastic--and it wasn't just because of the guys in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          He may not be the best in the league or best on BC, but throwing your UVM jab in there is misleading. I can't blame you if you weren't paying attention at the end of last year, but Milner was fantastic--and it wasn't just because of the guys in front of him.
                          He's a good goaltender, just he ain't putting up the absurd stats he did if he isn't on a team capable of winning 19 in a row.
                          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

You can say that about any goalie though. And I think it's almost a lock that he doesn't finish this year with the numbers he had last year.

Comment

Both senior goaltenders.. sure hope its Chris' turn to get it done at home.. now or never Mr Rawlings.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X