Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

We won GLI. We won GLI. We won GLI. We won GLI. We won GLI. We won GLI. We won GLI. We won GLI.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Back to reality

Comment

• And the reality is that this is obviously a long and difficult process, but we'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          And the reality is that this is obviously a long and difficult process, but we'll get there.
          QFT. !!!!.

I totally support tMel on this and I'm going to write another check.... but... here's a couple of questions.

Given the goaltending is spotty but generally better. Does the coach stay with Copley? Isn't Genoe as good overall.

2. Given Sova is back and the defense is better little by little. Does that mean we are going to win a few we shouldn't ordinarily win.?I think other teams are going to pressure our defensive end just like Duluth did, until we show we can handle it. Are we about to do that?

We seem to have this personality that thinks without hard work we can win games.

3. Who thinks Duluth is a top team?
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            And the reality is that this is obviously a long and difficult process, but we'll get there.
            Agreed

Comment

Other than the seniors, if this year's team can stay intact through next season, I see us doing quite well next year. I worry a bit about losing Blake P. though, as I think the Devils will be hurting for good forward prospects going into the summer, unless they do poorly enough to get a top draft pick.

Comment

Definitely a disappointing weekend. I can't say that I am angry as 2 1 goal losses isn't the end of the world, but would have liked to see a split for sure. Hopefully we can put together a few wins and maybe a string of a few wins and finish the season on a stronger, higher note and get some momentum going into the off season. I do have faith in Mel, he knows what he is doing, but it may take awhile to get there.
                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

w00t t00t!! the new score board will be installed this summer!!!
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    w00t t00t!! the new score board will be installed this summer!!!
                    Nice! any details on it?
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Wasn't able to watch anything this weekend, but yes disapointing results. Great to hear about the video scoreboard!

Mel Pearson show summary for 1-14:

Dirk - One of those weekends we should've came away with something.
                      Friday night no, didn't play well, UMD didn't either. We looked satisfied, looked like we though it'd be easier than it really was. Saturday better, except first 10 mins, up to the timeout, gave up 8 scoring chances.
                      But Saturday, everytime we got close we made a mental error.

On Friday:
                      UMD 20 blocked shots
                      We made the one error, UMD capitalized on it
                      We didn't fight to get to the net, we out attempted them in shots, blocked plus 20 shtos wide of the net, we played in their zone quite a bit, trying to pick corners too much
                      missed shots have been happening too much this year, want to pick corners and force a save, need to maximize shots on goal,
                      D. Johsntone had 8 shots on goal on Friday, one of few bright spots Friday, Copley as well and Dmen group good as well
                      PK on Friday was decent, but they were missing their PP quaterback
                      On UMD goal, turnover on offensive blueline, everyone moving forward, turn it over and UMD will transition you the other way
                      One D guy jumped up into the play, Duluth basically had a breakway the other way, a couple errors on that play

On Saturday:
                      Called timeout in first 3 mins, had to do it, they had 8 shots in less than 3 mins, 2 or 3 excellent scoring chances by UMD
                      They jumped us, we weren't ready for that, after timeout, shots were better than 0-8 like the game started
                      Need to figure out why we started that way, down 2-0 after 1
                      Copley would like to have 2nd goal back
                      Their goaltender played well all weekend
                      In 2nd, Petan goal from JJ, big goal need something to jump start team
                      Didn't like next UMD goal, UMD player picked Sweeney, it was obvious, officials said they just ran into each other, Sweeney got picked/hit hard, allowed UMD breakaway/goal
                      It was a critical point in the game
                      Next goal - Furne, good quick shot, good for him to get 2nd of year
                      UMD goal makes it 4-2, our breakaway (Rix/Eick) led to a breakaway the other way, they schooled us, 3 or 4 mental mistakes on that play
                      In 3rd - Seigo goal, good traffic in front of net, make it 4-3
                      UMD PP goal - bad penalty (C. Pietila), just guys battling along boards and Chad gives the guy a shove, can't hit that guy, couldn't kill it
                      D. Johnstone, nice pass by Petan, Johnstone good weekend all weekend long
                      We kept battling back, no quit in this team, need better starts
                      We shortened the bench in 3rd, our guys were gassed towards the end of the game, we played last 2 periods with more energy than first 4 periods of weekend, need to play that all the time
                      PK was up to 80% into weekend, 2 PP goals by UMD on Sat, good job overall
                      Faceoffs on Sat 46-43 MTU - important stat, indicates if you're ready to play, need intensity on faceoff, when you win faceoff, you play with the puck

WCHA record 3-10-3 - A lot of games let, focusing on one game at a time. Furne got a big goal, Sova back, Copley establishing himself as WCHA goalie. Petan, D. Johnstone and JJ playing well
                      Need to get Tanner going offensively, he's working hard but no numbers.
                      B. Pietila will take a little while to get in gear. It could be more mentally than physical.
                      Good things going on. All need to play well together. It's been a mistake here/there that costs us at critical times.

UMD won an NCAA champsionship a year and half ago, we won 4 games, closing the gap, we're getting there. Want to do it faster, have to build upon good things.

Drik - Had a long chat with B. Pietila on Friday, he didn't mention he lost 7 pounds during juniors.
                      Petan lost 5 pounds during sickness.
                      In both cases weight loss, phyiscally it's a lot. For Blake, food in Ufa, not good and no break, you go at it hard for 3 weeks, basically may have had a day or two off.

Sova is a little rusty, but it'll help us, it'll take a few games to get in game shape.

J. Johnstone, played Friday, not Saturday, he's having tough luck right now. Can't buy a goal. Hit a post on Friday. Confidence is low, trying to keep working hard. Jake can shoot the puck, just keep working hard, goals will come.
                      Good things going on with his line. Trying to take pressure off of him.

Bemidji - two OT wins last time.
                      Came away from that weekend with confidence. Bemidji will skate, under handle the puck, dump it out. Hard working team, will have to match thier work ethic and skate with them. Need to get the lead.
                      Several seniors on this team. They've been in a lot of close hockey games.
                      Haven't been home for a month, only 7 games left at home, need to use home ice advantage. We fed off energy of all Tech fans at GLI.

Questions - not many this week, email dj@themix93.com
                      B. Pietila, point production has gone up when he moved from USNTDP to college, doesn't it usually go the other way at first.
                      He's in a different role here than with USNTDP and world juniors. More of an offensive guy here, checking/PK/grind line at world juniors & USNTDP. He can score. Not sure what he'll do at next level.

With the MacInnes cup - will fans be able to see it?
                      Mel can maybe talk about tomorrow on drive time or next week. The meeting Mel wanted to figure that out in was rescheduled for today.

Thoughts on goaltending going into Bemidji?
                      Copley played well Friday, gave us a chance. UMD breakaway goal was a good goal. Didn't look as sharp Saturday. Saw a lot of rubber on Friday, may have worn down. He's proved he can win and play well. Genoe has a .500 record & a senior. Jamie has really improved in practice, would like to give him a shot.
                      It's wide open going into this weekend, Copley may have a slight upper hand.

Bemidji doesn't beat themselves, well coached, have speed, good work ethic. It'll be a challenge for us, and we have some things to prove. Have some good things going on with Sova being back, Blake recovering. We need to imrpove in areas, puck managaement. Some of our mistakes are hard to work on in practice, game situations etc, we'll watch video.

The trophy might be at the Blueline Luncheon, also want an assitant coach there.

Comment

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/1...es-in-michigan

Note the whining Yosters.

Comment

NHL's Central Scouting North American skater midterm rankings. Jake Jackson (143) and Dane Birks (161). Keep in mind you still have to consider international players and goaltenders. Be interesting to see where they end up in the final rankings and if they get drafted.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=85643
                          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

What do we know about this video scoreboard? I'm surprised, last I saw it seemed like we had a lot of funding left to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                              What do we know about this video scoreboard? I'm surprised, last I saw it seemed like we had a lot of funding left to go.
                              Perhaps some individual or group of individuals stepped up to the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                That's what winning the GLI will do.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X