Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about the teams' chances the second half and I'm wondering how this fits.

IF.. we split on the road, meaning we get splits at Duluth,UNO, St cloud, and at Mankato, and sweep at home,... AA, Bemidji, CC, I think we end up with 29 points. So will that be enough to squeak into home ice, and can it be done?. I also wonder if getting Sova and Fillion back will make a difference.
    I got from the Recent Stephen Anderson article that the competition for playing time is heating up. So that means to me the guys not playing have been getting better and hopefully the guys playing will get better too. I'm generally an optimist but is there a reasonable likelihood we are hosting?
    Wow, I don't see this happening. Pretty tall order. Although, I will say this, from the UNO side of things. You guys might conceivably catch us looking to ahead to hosting North Dakota the following weekend in what figures to be a huge series, even forgetting what else is going on. The "what else" is the Friday night game is on national television and is likely to be played in front of 16,000+ and the following afternoon's game is the USHL/NCAA outdoor doubleheader here in Omaha, which will supposedly be played in front of about 25,000 or so, which is also the first time either team has ever played outdoors:

http://www.omavs.com/news/2012/2/14/...214124422.aspx

I could see that we might be a little distracted by the hullabaloo associated with all that upcoming the following weekend. I've been told that practically the entire state of North Dakota is loading up in buses and coming down here.

That said, we swept you guys in your own building. I mean, you've only gone 4-4-4 since we played you, too. 3 of the 4 teams you mentioned are currently ranked 11th, 13th, & 18th. This sounds like pretty wishful thinking to me.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I'm getting the distinct impression that it is a good thing that Tech played Minnesota early.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Here's a fun hockey story that touches on the legendary 1963/64 National Champion amateur team from Hancock (Laurn Grove team). T Heinonen's grampa played on that team, along with Herb Boxer and some other guys you might remember. pic
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
          Here's a fun hockey story that touches on the legendary 1963/64 National Champion amateur team from Hancock (Laurn Grove team). T Heinonen's grampa played on that team, along with Herb Boxer and some other guys you might remember. pic
          Ok, I give up, which one is Tyler's grandpa. I can't seem to recognize him in that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
            Ok, I give up, which one is Tyler's grandpa. I can't seem to recognize him in that picture.
            It was a couple years ago. top row middle, the tall kid with an A.
            Here is the key to all players. Those 50's teams were pretty legendary too.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

great recap of all the forwards from Team USA.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...rds/#more-5981

Blake Pietila (NJD) — LW — 7 GP, 0-2–2, 0 PIM

The final member of The Grind Line, Pietila offered Team USA a litany of tools that helped bring home a gold medal. He was strong on the forecheck, great on the penalty kill and solid throughout in his own end. He was able to skate with top forwards and keep them in check. Pietila also applied a ton of pressure on the defense and was strong along the walls. He played a physical style, but on the tournament’s most-penalized team, Pietila didn’t get whistled once.

He’s the leading scorer for Michigan Tech, but he knew defense was going to be his role here and he just simply filled it. Pietila had one of those kind of tournaments that doesn’t jump out at you, but it was so effective in its simplicity.

He wasn’t all defense. There were a few instances where Pietila showed some good offensive tools with some of his passes and scoring chances, but what he did in a checking role will be what he’s remembered for.

There is an importance for building roles into teams for these short tournaments and with Pietila, the U.S. staff nailed it.
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

UMD has played Tech more than any other opponent, after this weekend it will be 224 times. What team has MTU played more than any other? I'd guess UMTC.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  UMD has played Tech more than any other opponent, after this weekend it will be 224 times. What team has MTU played more than any other? I'd guess UMTC.
                  You are correct: Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, Minnesota Duluth and Michigan.

Michigan Tech has played 9 different teams over 100 times and only Northern Michigan will be in their conference next season...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    this is just blasphemy, tmel got the team to a playoff win 1st yr, gli 2nd yr and there is talk about the next coach? As medicine advances there will be a call for funds to preserve tmel with anti-aging drugs and then if need be to keep his brain functions working. Tmel will never be gone.
                    qft
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Well, no question we'll be finishing worse than last year, but at least we appear to have a goalie now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        You are correct: Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, Minnesota Duluth and Michigan.

Michigan Tech has played 9 different teams over 100 times and only Northern Michigan will be in their conference next season...
                        Quick! Do the math for how long it will take for them to surpass UMTC
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I still can't get over the fact that Michigan is headed to Houghton next season for the first time since Ma Bell was broken up for being a monopoly.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            I still can't get over the fact that Michigan is headed to Houghton next season for the first time since Ma Bell was broken up for being a monopoly.
                            I thought it was MSU in Houghton next year, Michigan the following year? Relying on my terrible memory here though. I know Tech has plans to trade road trips with both schools.
                            edit: I shouldn't say I "know". Just what I've heard at the paint store.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              at least we appear to have a goalie now.
                              This is a very good thing, and will lead to some more weekend sweeps if he keeps it up.

Comment

After interruptions during the GLI back to your regularly scheduled Huskies....sigh
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X