Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Cousens and Reddick fought each other in tonight's game between the Idaho Steelheads and Bakersfield Condors. Idaho won 7-2.

Josh Robinson had 35 saves on 37 shots. If only Brian Stewart had started for Bakersfield instead of Scott Greenham.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      KOOL It's why he's called tMEL

Comment

wow. what a week! GLI championship and now Blake comes home with a gold medal!
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          wow. what a week! GLI championship and now Blake comes home with a gold medal!
          Yeah, its been a good week for Tech Hockey, to say the least
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Yeah, its been a good week for Tech Hockey, to say the least
            best ever for this fan!
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Dave Starman has Tweeted that it will likely take all the WJC players 2-3 weeks to fully recover from the trip and the emotional/physical strain of winning the championship. He's heard this from former WJC players and coaches over the years. So while we all expect he'll come back to Tech and immediately kick it into high gear, don't be surprised if he looks off his game for at least the first series with Duluth. However, I'm sure the coaches will hold him to the same high standard as the rest of the team coming off the GLI title.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Dave Starman has Tweeted that it will likely take all the WJC players 2-3 weeks to fully recover from the trip and the emotional/physical strain of winning the championship. He's heard this from former WJC players and coaches over the years. So while we all expect he'll come back to Tech and immediately kick it into high gear, don't be surprised if he looks off his game for at least the first series with Duluth. However, I'm sure the coaches will hold him to the same high standard as the rest of the team coming off the GLI title.
                That's understandable. The WJC is quite a few games in not many days, and they're traveling back from half way across the world. Regardless, the reward is well worth the cost, as I don't know if there is anything more rewarding in sports than playing for your country and winning the gold. Besides, they did ok without him, there is enough talent on this team to pick up the slack. It all depends on how well they play, because at this point in Tech hockey, for the first time in a long time, talent is not the problem.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• 2013 (like most every year) is all about 3s

As Tech gets back to conference play the one thing I would like to see more than anything else is consistant play, even if it is only 85% of our best games to date. The number three is pretty important in college hockey. If you can score three goals per game, you're going to win more than you lose. Through 20 games, only twice (2-1 W vs Bemidji and 1-1 T vs WI) has Tech won or tied when failing to score three goals. On the other end, only twice (5-3 L to UNO and 7-3 L to UMD) failed to win or tie when scoring three or more goals. So that means for the other 16 games if you got three goals you won or tied. Unfortunately to date, Tech has not in most cases.

In 10 games this season Tech has given up 3 or more goals. In only three of those games did Tech get a tie or a win (8-4 W v LSSU, 5-4 W v Bemidji, 4-4 T v UMD). All of Tech's net minders are hovering right around 90% saves (0.892, .902, .905) so in order to keep it under three goals allowed you need to keep your shots on goal under 30 if you want a shot to win. As a team, the save percentage sits at 0.898 so we're allowing a few more than we can afford right now. Not to mention, there is nothing better for a net minder's confidence than to play with a lead.

If Tech can get that third goal each game and keep the shots on goal allowed down around 25, I see no reason Tech still can't pull out home ice this year. Another good stat to consider, if you rank the WCHA teams by goals allowed here's the list starting with the most allowed:
                  CC, MTU, Bemidji, UMD, UNO, St Cloud, Anchorage, Mankato, Denver, UND, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
                  Tech will play all of the top 8 (not counting themselves) and doesn't play any of the bottom four. So the defenses we face down the home stretch should give us a better chance at that magic number of three goals per game or more. Interesting fact, the lowest on the list, Minnesota, has only allowed 35 goals the entire season, SEVEN of them courtesy of MTU.

I think 29 points certainly puts Tech on home ice for the playoffs. Getting 20 pts points in 14 games would require a 0.714 win percentage. Tough skating, but given the schedule, I think it is possible if we win the games we should win, and pick up our play for the tougher games and steal a point here or there from the top half teams.

Go Tech,
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: 2013 (like most every year) is all about 3s

TBH, I've already written off home ice. While a surge isn't impossible, we should've gotten more points against Omaha, Duluth, and Wisconsin, but did not get it done. Our home schedule is "easier", but there are some tough-arse road games still to come. Omaha, a silent-but-deadly Mankato team, plus the St, Clooud roadtrip, where we still haven't won a game at the NHC since Y2K and Clinton getting Oval Office blowies were major news stories.

I'm just not seeing it, but I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Yes the ECHL Champions are awared the Kelly Cup. But as you can see in the photo it isn't quite to the scale of the Stanley Cup. The Kelly Cup is being held by former MTU player Davis Payne after winning the Cup as head coach of the Alaska Aces in 2006.

Ryan J

Davis Payne was an excellent, excellent coach. The Aces are always a top team, and this year they have 4 local NHL players on the roster. Fans have deserted UAA in favor of the Aces, and I can't say I blame them. Rumors are Payne was available to hire as a coach to replace Shyiak, but UAA wasn't interested. Don't know if that is true or not, but if it is what were they thinking????
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                        Davis Payne was an excellent, excellent coach. The Aces are always a top team, and this year they have 4 local NHL players on the roster. Fans have deserted UAA in favor of the Aces, and I can't say I blame them. Rumors are Payne was available to hire as a coach to replace Shyiak, but UAA wasn't interested. Don't know if that is true or not, but if it is what were they thinking????
                        hindsight.... Tech passed over Pearson years ago for possibly the worst hire they ever made.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          hindsight.... Tech passed over Pearson years ago for possibly the worst hire they ever made.
                          possibly?!?! I don't think there is much doubt!
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            possibly?!?! I don't think there is much doubt!
                            Of course Payne was already a known quantity by then - probably just a rumor.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              The main knock would be that Payne lacks NCAA coaching/recruiting/eligibility experience, but as Andy Murray has proven, that can be somewhat mitigated with assistants who can help with those issues. However, it seems that he's 'arrived' in the NHL now, even if he's only an assistant from here on out.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                The main knock would be that Payne lacks NCAA coaching/recruiting/eligibility experience, but as Andy Murray has proven, that can be somewhat mitigated with assistants who can help with those issues. However, it seems that he's 'arrived' in the NHL now, even if he's only an assistant from here on out.
                                I think he may be given the opportunity later in his career to return to his alma mater. That is if we can reach the point where rebuilding the program from a black hole isn't necessary any more.
                                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                                X