Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

RE: Blake... he has been great, filling his role perfectly and making a big impact in quiet(ish) fashion. Would love to have him on a team I regularly cheer for (instead of occasionally cheer for). Love his play.

RE: Espo... ******nozzle.
    I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
      it's not perception, it's reality. Tony Esposito once referred to Houghton, MI as the armpit of the midwest. Big A-hole from what i hear.
      Many goalies back in his day were like Terry Sawchuk and Patrick Roy - an unlikeable lot who lived in their own self-centered world (some still are). I watched a taped interview with him once, and they talked about how he used to try and get away with all kinds of equipment modifications back in the day before goalies had seriously enforced equipment standards.

Comment

The crazy thing about Esposito IMO is that he wasn't head and shoulders above Tech's other goalie, Rick Best. The split time in net the whole time they were there, there was no #1 goalie really, yet Esposito is know in Tech lore and Best isn't.
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I think that has to do with the storied career that Esposito had with the Blackhawks. What other Tech alumnus went on to have such a legendary NHL career? Jarkko Ruutu? Andy Sutton?
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Zuke.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              I think that has to do with the storied career that Esposito had with the Blackhawks. What other Tech alumnus went on to have such a legendary NHL career? Jarkko Ruutu? Andy Sutton?
              If we disregard awards won and Stanley Cups and use a simple measure - their ability to maintain a career at the highest level (games played in the NHL and WHA) you might be suprised at where some folks are on the list and some of the names that appear. I think I have captured everyone who played at least 100 games in one or both of those two leagues.
              932 - Randy McKay
              886 - Tony Esposito
              741 - Tim Watters
              679 - Lou Angotti
              676 - Andy Sutton
              652 - Jarkko Ruutu
              541 - Mike Zuke
              529 - Bob Lorimer
              481 - Al Karlander
              438 - Steve Jensen
              368 - Al McLeod
              309 - Damian Rhodes
              301 - George Lyle
              250 - John Grisdale
              236 - Warren Young
              158 - Bill Prentice
              147 - Chris Conner
              146 - John Scott

Watters prob doesn't come to mind as quickly because of his lack of success behind the bench just as Scott is thought of more highly because he's fresh in our minds and usually makes a splash when he does make the line up. Scott hasn't played in the minors since the 2008-09 season, but has only appeared in an average of just over 40 games per season. Not many of us would guess that Conner has actually been in more games than Scott. Then factor in the number of guys who are on this list, but played at Tech more than 30 years ago. They just don't come to mind for most of us even if they had great NHL careers back in the day.

If the NHL ever gets their act together, Sutton might crack the top three all time in games played, but if this whole season is lost, that is not likely. Ruutu has gone overseas and is not likely to ever return to the NHL so he prob won't move up the list any farther. I could also see Conner or Scott cracking the 200 game mark, again assuming the NHL plays some games. They are not getting any younger and there is always someone quicker or tougher looking to fill their skates.

Ryan J
              Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                The crazy thing about Esposito IMO is that he wasn't head and shoulders above Tech's other goalie, Rick Best. The split time in net the whole time they were there, there was no #1 goalie really, yet Esposito is know in Tech lore and Best isn't.
                Another very true point - Espo only played 51 games at MTU over three seasons. Maybe that's why he doesn't feel much of a connection to Tech. How much to you see him hanging out in Montreal as a former Canadiens player (13 games) or even the Vancouver Canucks (63 games) where he played before Chicago? It would be nice to see him on campus, but not if you have to beg him to come - then what's the point. I fully expect the '65 team to be back on campus in a few years, maybe that will break the ice and let him see what MTU is about about today. (And if Tech win's about 50-60 games between now and then, that won't hurt either.)

So if we simply look at playing time...
                Josh Robinson (91) > Tony Esposito (51)
                Ok maybe that's a reach to make that assumption in 2013... but after Josh wins his third Cup we'll call it fact.
                :-)
                Ryan J

Comment

We'll need some hockey highlights to get us through the weekend, so here is good one from back in the day. The era when you would put in your "fighting goalie" during the line change when a score needed to be settled and protect your primary net minder.

Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Another very true point - Espo only played 51 games at MTU over three seasons. Maybe that's why he doesn't feel much of a connection to Tech. How much to you see him hanging out in Montreal as a former Canadiens player (13 games) or even the Vancouver Canucks (63 games) where he played before Chicago? It would be nice to see him on campus, but not if you have to beg him to come - then what's the point. I fully expect the '65 team to be back on campus in a few years, maybe that will break the ice and let him see what MTU is about about today. (And if Tech win's about 50-60 games between now and then, that won't hurt either.)

So if we simply look at playing time...
                    Josh Robinson (91) > Tony Esposito (51)
                    Ok maybe that's a reach to make that assumption in 2013... but after Josh wins his third Cup we'll call it fact.
                    :-)
                    Ryan J
                    Do they give away a cup in the ECHL?
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Do they give away a cup in the ECHL?
                      Yes the ECHL Champions are awared the Kelly Cup. But as you can see in the photo it isn't quite to the scale of the Stanley Cup. The Kelly Cup is being held by former MTU player Davis Payne after winning the Cup as head coach of the Alaska Aces in 2006.

Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Yes the ECHL Champions are awared the Kelly Cup. But as you can see in the photo it isn't quite to the scale of the Stanley Cup. The Kelly Cup is being held by former MTU player Davis Payne after winning the Cup as head coach of the Alaska Aces in 2006.

Ryan J

So you're saying there's a chance!
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          Tony Esposito once referred to Houghton, MI as the armpit of the midwest.
                          That's funny because that's my opinion of Chicago.

It's still worth a try because you just never know. Maybe an invitation to Winter Carnival or ask him to send a letter to Copley. I remember telling Pres. Mroz during alumni visits that Tech should hire Mel. He told me, "Mel's the heir apparent at Michigan. He won't leave." Kudos to Suzanne for ignoring conventional wisdom and being persistent.
                          "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                          Abe Lincoln

Comment

fun videos from GLI celebration
                            http://michigantech.prestosports.com...30104-4jh68je0
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

this fall we were having lunch with some friends from the Copper Country. got to talking about the hockey strike and the possibility (or not) of a season. one friend mentioned having talked to "Tony" about it. Tony who, I asked. I admit to being blown away that it was Tony Esposito. they had known him when he was at Tech and still see him occasionally. perhaps the bad blood between Tony and Tech is an urban legend not unlike that of Suze Pearson's not wanting to move to Houghton for lack of shopping? does anyone have hard confirmation that Tony refuses all contact with Tech?
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                this fall we were having lunch with some friends from the Copper Country. got to talking about the hockey strike and the possibility (or not) of a season. one friend mentioned having talked to "Tony" about it. Tony who, I asked. I admit to being blown away that it was Tony Esposito. they had known him when he was at Tech and still see him occasionally. perhaps the bad blood between Tony and Tech is an urban legend not unlike that of Suze Pearson's not wanting to move to Houghton for lack of shopping? does anyone have hard confirmation that Tony refuses all contact with Tech?
                                This board's resident ex-Tech fan turned NMU grad/radio guy claimed once that Tony O had returned for an alumni event in the past. Maybe he mellowed in his old age. *shrug*

Comment

Working...
                                X