Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
    The announcers would always bring up the lunatics but not a word about the Tech band.
    They were sucking up to Ken Daniels in the booth behind them.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I was tied up and only heard about 10 minutes of the second period sunday. Tech was doing so poorly that I was sure wmu was going to tie it. then I found out tech wins. shocked and happy is an understatement. Happy especially for people like HF.
      Last edited by manurespreader; 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Anybody have video of the late game shenanigans?
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I assume there are no more chickens in the whole state of Florida now.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...2300802&Ref=PH
          Last edited by manurespreader; 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Anybody have video of the late game shenanigans?
            I might have it recorded on my DVR at home, I can check tomorrow or in a couple days.

Something I noticed at the Mac in my two trips this fall was a lack of a GLI banner. I thought it was always located on the east wall of the arena, but this year I didn't see it. I assume Mel took it away and told the team it would not be back up until they won GLI...but that is just speculation. What, if anything happened, to the GLI banner?
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              I assume Mel took it away and told the team it would not be back up until they won GLI...but that is just speculation. What, if anything happened, to the GLI banner?
              I agree with your theory. If I were Mel, I would've done the same with the Winter Carnival banner.

Comment

what a fun weekend of hockey, just amazing it took 32 years to win a GLI tourney

It was great to see the emotion after Tanner's ENG, I was expecting it out of the players, but all the coaches on the bench were ecstatic, don't usually see that much emotion from them! Fun to see.

I didn't get to hear any of the Mix93 interviews of Mel, do we know if the Saturday changes, I think Likteig, Holmber and Hietila were injury related or just changing the lineup?

Comment

good juju oozes from every Tech fans pores

awesome job by the players, coaches and staff. so so much fun!

I want to do it again do it again in St Paul in March
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Tech wins the GLI and suddenly band swag is a collectors item.

Congrats on the weekend.
                    Actually, classic stripes have been a collector's item among diehard Techies for many years, especially the old school ones from prior to 2006 (my sophomore year, and first as a Pep Band member). There were a few 'old' stripes sold at around $35-40 for Pep Band revenue during my time, so I figure somewhere around there is the cutoff point. Based on his posts, RJ's stripes are probably mid-90s.

Originally posted by huskyfan
                    I want to do it again do it again in St Paul in March
                    Shhh...keep a low profile.

Comment

Here is to taking the next step and to sweeping Duluth. Touches glass of Lagavulin to glass of Dinwoodie, And here's a toast to Mel Pearson!. What a great job. The coach doesn't play, the players do, but you have to give him credit, the players are ever better.

Also in the photo's of the team after the win, I see all the coaches.. except Mel. did I miss something?

Comment

Wishes of A Happy New Year full of Hockey Husky Wins to all.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Actually, classic stripes have been a collector's item among diehard Techies for many years, especially the old school ones from prior to 2006... Based on his posts, RJ's stripes are probably mid-90s.
                          Yes, that is correct. Those stripes were being worn the last time Tech has home ice for the playoffs...

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Also in the photo's of the team after the win, I see all the coaches.. except Mel. did I miss something?
                          If you look at some of the videos from the banner photo, Mel walks in at the last minute (maybe doing an interview or something). So if the photographer snapped the photo too quick it is sans Mel. The one thing I noticed most is the wry smile he is wearing in the photo. You know it meant something to him to get a GLI title on his resume at Tech this year, but you can also tell he won't be happy if this is the high point for the season (emotions never too low, never too high, just keep moving forward). Last year the team improved their record, knocked off Denver and wound up real close to a semi-final game in St Paul. This year started with a blaze knocking off Minnesota but has sputtered a bit since. Even if the team still winds up around .500 at the end of the year, I think the GLI banner is something they can point to as a step forward for 2012-13.

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            I might have it recorded on my DVR at home, I can check tomorrow or in a couple days.

Something I noticed at the Mac in my two trips this fall was a lack of a GLI banner. I thought it was always located on the east wall of the arena, but this year I didn't see it. I assume Mel took it away and told the team it would not be back up until they won GLI...but that is just speculation. What, if anything happened, to the GLI banner?
                            The pendants were on the suite end before they built them. I presume they will reappear now that we've won the tourney again.
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Favorite part of that photo, Mel with his hands in his pockets
                              Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                              Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                                Favorite part of that photo, Mel with his hands in his pockets
                                Makes me think of the way Kurt Russell portrayed Herb Brooks in Miracle. After beating the Soviet team there was no big celebration until he was off the ice and out of the public view. In spite of the calm look in the photo I have to believe it really meant a great deal to Mel to get this title. Sure it was a down year for MSU and UM with WMU just above 0.500, but on the flip side Tech didn't even allow a single goal either so it's not like they squeeked by to get this title.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X