Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Brutal, Mel sounded defeated/disapointed

Mel's postgame thoughts:
    Give UND credit, their skill guys know what to do with puck
    Slow start, tough to give up goal to make it 2-0
    It's a tight game, Petan had a chance to tie it up, didn't
    We can't kill a penalty rigth now, we're trying hard, CJ Eick, had a chance to clear the puck, didn't, they score
    We're not playing on the right side of the puck, we're leaving the guy in front of the net to get to the puck
    They had guys wide open
    Everyone is disapointed, we played so well defensively at NMU and UW, now at home we're going to put on a show and didn't play D
    Needed Kevin to make a save here or there, their guy did that
    PP, sloppy with the puck at times, have to find loose puck, have to do a better job
    PK, a lot of little things, didn't play smart tonight
    D. Johnstone, timing was off a bit tonight, but he's eager to be out there, good to be in the lineup
    Lineup changes tomorrow? you'll see some changes, need each individual to be critical of themselves
    For some reason, we come home and worried about putting on a show instead of being rock solid defensively
    Hang in there fans, it's a process, we'll beat these guys eventually

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

It's pretty clear that with the home winless streak now standing at six, the team is playing head games in front of a home crowd. How this is being addressed, if at all, who knows?

Comment

Well it appears that other teams know our defensive weaknesses and are able to capitalize on them. I think this has been true from the very beginning of the year. I do believe the coach though when he says we will get better and it's a process. It's just frustrating now.

Shirtless, knowing what you know about the recruits, 1. Do we have a scorer of quality coming in 2. Do we have a solid defender or two coming in? and 3. Are there any other recruits you see for next year that can help us?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

its got to be a head game. seriously, we are not this bad.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Tech has been out of sync since the big win over Minnesota. The talent is there but the injuries have hurt the 4 line chemistry. I want to see Tech play well at the GLI. Let's get it going tonight against ND.

GO TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              Tech has been out of sync since the big win over Minnesota. The talent is there but the injuries have hurt the 4 line chemistry. I want to see Tech play well at the GLI. Let's get it going tonight against ND.

GO TECH
              This. I've seen a couple other Tech games, and they have not come close to what they showed against MN. All tArrogance aside about "MN is (x's) title game," MTU has clearly turned into a WTeFF situation.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Shirtless, knowing what you know about the recruits, 1. Do we have a scorer of quality coming in 2. Do we have a solid defender or two coming in? and 3. Are there any other recruits you see for next year that can help us?
                Already looking at next season eh? #notalikemindedschool
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well it appears that other teams know our defensive weaknesses and are able to capitalize on them. I think this has been true from the very beginning of the year. I do believe the coach though when he says we will get better and it's a process. It's just frustrating now.

I think their focus has been on improving the defensive corps and I think they've done that with guys like Mark Auk, Marcus Ericsson, Dane Birks, Travis Brown, Tristan Rostagno. There is certainly potential in the future forwards but I can't wrap my head around anyone that comes in with the potential of Blake Pietila or Jujhar Khaira. Lots of solid guys and hopefully some blossom into top flight players.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It's easy to despair right now, when our guys don't even bother showing up to play in a big home game. But I still like our young guys, and still think the potential is there for a good run a couple years from now. A telling stat was provided by Stephen Anderson: none of Tech's last 24 goals have come from an upperclassman forward. For whatever reason they've disappeared completely, but I don't see that happening with Blake P, Kero, D Johnstone, Khaira and the other young guys. And even the forward recruits, while not blue chippers, I think are generally more talented than we usually have had over the last 20 years.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Although no one wants their team to lose a hockey game, I think you have a lot of other fan bases wanting Tech to succeed as well.

Comment

It is difficult to explain why this team is underperforming. We have some very talented players....on paper, probably one of the strongest squads in 20 years. I fully expected our Juniors to increase their output this season and Genoe to take a back seat to one or both of the big new goalies. Coupled with the strong Freshman and Sophomore classes, this team could have been in the top third, particularly with Mel at the helm. I think it's a combination of weaker than expected goaltending, weak defense and poor chemistry between the upper-classmen and under-classmen on the offense. That said, I think Sova's return will help and either of the Freshman goalies could heat up, but I'm looking for a 8th or 9th place finish this year. As far as prospects, I think Tyler Heinonen is going to be a blue chip scorer. Not sure about the defense recruits...it's hard to guage them without seeing them in action.

Comment

I agree with the points on the goaltending, but I think you also have to consider the schedule is a lot tougher this year, and it's just my opinion of course, but I think they are better than last year's team. The results not being there is tough though, and yes looking forward to next year, though I don't doubt that mel will improve the team and that with Sova coming back we will continue to play better each game. Still it's a stretch to see us in the post season.

I think we do need some defensive help, Someone like that kid for UMD, and we also need a top scorer so teams can't key on one or two lines. I don't think we are that far away really from a top ten team.I think the coach is right, we just have to hang in there.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            He's on Tri City IR so that means he is out for at least 45 days. He is listed as playing last Friday night but not Saturday night against USA. Surgery usually means a bad break of some sort. Sounds like his play was on an upswing listening to some of the postgame stuff on the TC website. Nothing said about his injury though. Bummer for him. Probably guarantees another year of juniors? He scored his first regular season goal on 11/24 against DesMoines. Watching those video highlights he appeared to be getting a lot of ice time and quite involved. Hope this doesn't set him back too much.
                            He broke his wrist. clean break, all the way through. out a minimum 45 days.

what's up with the defense? by far the worst GA in the league. and the penalty kill is awful. no reason the PK should be that bad. that is all coaching. they need a couple of big, shut down defenseman. guys that can log a ton of minutes against the other teams top lines.
                            Last edited by eye4talent; 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM.
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              I think their focus has been on improving the defensive corps and I think they've done that with guys like Mark Auk, Marcus Ericsson, Dane Birks, Travis Brown, Tristan Rostagno. There is certainly potential in the future forwards but I can't wrap my head around anyone that comes in with the potential of Blake Pietila or Jujhar Khaira. Lots of solid guys and hopefully some blossom into top flight players.
                              Auk is all offense. Leibinger is offensive minded as well. Ericcson more of a stay at home guy.
                              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Looks like Auk is moving up to the USHL for the 2nd half of the season.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...uk-moving-USHL

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X