Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by fadetoblack&gold View Post
    per dan sova's twitter, he is having surgery at the mayo clinic tomorrow morning, i assume for his wrist.
    wow!
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Per Dan Sova's Twitter, he is having surgery at the Mayo Clinic tomorrow morning, I assume for his wrist.
      whoa. whats up?
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Some other tweets from Yesterday:

Buccigross (Sports Center) - Michigan Tech DMan Daniel Sova surgery tomorrow morning at the Mayo Clinic. Putting a screw across scaphoid. (Wrist)

Stephen Anderson - Pearson showed Kero article about Jonathan Ericcson, who played (and scored) in '09 Stanley Cup finals, 4 days after appendectomy.

Stephen Anderson - ...Pearson on whether North Dakota, in Kero's case, is on par with the Stanley Cup finals: "Yout bet it is."

Stephen Anderson - C. Pietila and Fillion in full practice mode today. D. Johnstone doing all drills but in gray limited contact jersey. No Kero yet.

Comment

Mel pearson show summary from 12-10:

Basically got a split in Madison, with 2 points, always want more, but with banged up team, happy with their competing and getting 2 points
          It was pretty easy to go around the locker room both nigths to find guys that played hard and played well
          Dirk - Mel always says this or that guy looks good in practice, Dirk wondered how good if they're not in the lineup, but Holmberg/Brown, A. Pietila all played well on a weekend thay had to come in and make an impact
          We always talk about being ready for your opportunity

On NMU Game:
          Hard start, took a penalty and were on our heels in 1st period
          But weathered that storm and form taht point we were better team, need to do certain things to be succesful, check other teams 1st line, limit other teams opportunities, good goaltending (Phillips very good), take advantage of scoring opportunities
          Did all that expect take advantage of scoring opportunities, NMU goalie was very good
          Mel's looking forward to just playing NMU on a weekend, Norther didn't have games last weekend, could put everything into Tuesday night game
          Like how we're playign defensively without the puck

Mel reviewed the week of injuries/travel:
          Started with traveling back from NMU, stopped to pick up 4 mitchs misfits with broken down car, got home late
          Started drive to UW on Thursday with D. Johnstone on the bus on 22 man travel roster thought he coudl play, an hour or so in, got notified that D. Johsntone shouldn't play after looking at Xrays
          Called league to get Eick on travel roster, had to drive down 8AM Friday, got there an hour before the game Friday
          Friday skate, Kero wasn't feeling well, thought it was a bug, but in the end needed surgery to get appendix out, so Eick who got there an hour ago has to play
          Given circumstances, it was all good
          Kero is okay, Jonathan Ericsson of red wings had surgery on Wed and played Saturday in Stanley Cup finals, 18 mins that night, it's dealing with pain

On Friday UW game:
          Best defensive game of year, real good job
          Told guys to start with sense of urgency we show in OT, thought guys played well to start the game
          On B. Pietila goal, good pass by Gordic
          JJ Takes the penalty, overall PK was better this weekend, Whitten made good adjustments
          Bad penalty, we talkeda bout that after the game, can't take those and JJ knows that
          Tough goal, slow whistle, UW had a few wacks at it for it to trickle in
          were we lucky to only get 2 on JJ penalty? It wasn't viscous, his hand got him in the facemask, a lot worse things happening that are worth 5 min
          Looked good on PP, didn't get much to show for it, but we're moving it around
          We got 3 posts in the game, no puck luck, we were better team
          Seigo really good Friday, really likes big ice sheets, godo skater

On Saturday game:
          UW came out harder than Friday, they were making it tought for us to come out of the zone playing their 1-1-3
          Kevin playing well, making key saves, still a few bad goals we'd liek to get out of his game, had 1 on Saturday
          Jamie P. pushing hard as far as competition in practice and NMU, hard decision to make Saturday
          Holmberg takes advantage of bad Dman leaving puck at blueline, Holmber tried to deke and drag it around, but Gould follows up and takes wack at the puck, big goal
          We got outshot in period, it wasn't that bad watching the game back for Grade A chances etc
          Seigo gets the goal to make it 3-2, a lot of good thigns, Furne with good patience to get Seigo the puck, just a wrist shot by Seigo, it gets through, JJ was in front of net, goalie had no chance
          Hietila ties at 3-3 in 3rd, Hyland and Eick good play to catch them on a line change, Eick good move, quick shot on net, Blake driving the post, puck is waist high and he takes a swipe at it, Ref said he went to hit it, missed it and it went in, off glove would've been no goal
          Genoe made some great saves, read a UW back door play and stopped it, played well, from mid 2nd throug most of the game we were better team
          Undefeeated in 4 games against badgers going back to last year, we'll play them again, Mel/Eaves have talked about continuing to play, hope to in the future

Moose Larson passed away this week, spent a lot of time with him. Great guy, great character, sympathy to his family.

Ticket giveaway question for UND?
          Everyone new Larson as Moose, what's his first name? Sheldon

GLI is coming up, 48th annual, founding fathers are Macinnes, Lincoln Cavelary and what other person? Jack Thompkins

Shoudl be great games this weekend, most talented team in this league. Mel watched the DU/UND games already.
          Fightin Sioux play with an edge, hard/physical. We had two real good games with them last year.
          A well put together team, they wont league playoffs last year.
          Big challenge

Questions, send them to dj@themix93.com:
          What was explanation on no goal at NMU?
          Light contact between Kero and Goalie, clips him a little bit. Very incidental. Go by the rule and law, no goal.

Of recently signeld players, how many will be here next year?
          To be determiend, could be all, probably half for sure, players will have a big part of decision too. Tommy Brown can have a redshirt and could come back if he chooses, we'll have some depth.

We need 2 wins, last year at this time had 13 points, good second half and just missed hoem ice. A couple big wins would be big this weekend.
          Like our scheudle this second half. Had a tough schedule fist half, Defense is coming around. Compeition is great right now too.
          UND very good, but beatable, we've beaten good teams already this year.
          WCHA is so close this year, Eaves/Mel talked about that after the game, have to be ready to play every night.
          Will have more practice time this week than last week.

Come out to the games, last home games for awhile.

Comment

Michigan Tech recruit Mark Auk has been traded from Port Huron of the NAHL to Cedar Rapids (USHL). 17 year old defenseman

Comment

Does anyone know what happned to Joel L'Esperance?

Joel's twitter - Long day today 9 hours in the hospital and surgery went good. Long recovery to come #painmeds #cantwaittogetbackontheice

Comment

If anyone has an interest, I have more than a decade worth of Michigan Tech Magazine / Michigan Tech Alumnus. More than 40 issues in total. You can have the whole pile for $15 shipped within the US - just about enough to cover the postage. They will be available for one week, then off to the recycler.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Does anyone know what happned to Joel L'Esperance?

Joel's twitter - Long day today 9 hours in the hospital and surgery went good. Long recovery to come #painmeds #cantwaittogetbackontheice

He's on Tri City IR so that means he is out for at least 45 days. He is listed as playing last Friday night but not Saturday night against USA. Surgery usually means a bad break of some sort. Sounds like his play was on an upswing listening to some of the postgame stuff on the TC website. Nothing said about his injury though. Bummer for him. Probably guarantees another year of juniors? He scored his first regular season goal on 11/24 against DesMoines. Watching those video highlights he appeared to be getting a lot of ice time and quite involved. Hope this doesn't set him back too much.

Comment

Definitely not the smartest editorialized column for Mr. Veale to have published today. Emotionally, it reminds me too much of Schlossman's "perennial doormats" rant in the GF Herald from '06.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Definitely not the smartest editorialized column for Mr. Veale to have published today. Emotionally, it reminds me too much of Schlossman's "perennial doormats" rant in the GF Herald from '06.
                      I know you've moved on but it's obvious by Mr. Veale's column, many have not...and as you could probably guess, I don't think he's wrong at all.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I know you've moved on but it's obvious by Mr. Veale's column, many have not...and as you could probably guess, I don't think he's wrong at all.
                        Agree. Good for him, he should win a Pulitzer. **** the ____ and those other traitors.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Well it's all water over the bridge now. I'm trying to look forward and not back but it's hard not to be unhappy when certain things get said by certain arrogant posters from certain arrogant schools.
                          Will it turn out to be better for college hockey in general? I doubt it, but I'm sure we will all make the best of it anyway.

I think the whole rationale for doing it was nuts. Mostly it's a red herring though I'm sure many believe it.

I suspect we will see a lot of physical play by both sides tonight. I wonder how some of our players are doing and if they will be in the lineup. I'll bet a dollar to a donut they make JJ a target again.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

I suspect we will see a lot of physical play by both sides tonight. I wonder how some of our players are doing and if they will be in the lineup. I'll bet a dollar to a donut they make JJ a target again.
                            Agreed, and why wouldn't they make JJ and Blake P targets? Until the two of them can show enough discipline to let the goal scoring do the talking, it's what UND should do. Get two good players off their game and take it from there.

Comment

Man this season has been a massive disappointment, haven't been able to get much of anything going in pretty much any game. Such high hopes coming in, but at this point I would be happy if we could finish higher than 12th place, but if we keep playing like we have been it probably won't happen. I just wonder why we have taken such huge steps back this year from last year. I really do like Mel and know we have talented players, but this has been tough to follow.
                              2005-2006: 7-25-6
                              2006-2007: 18-17-5
                              2007-2008: 14-20-5
                              2008-2009: 6-25-7
                              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Brett Olson was the man; this team lacks a true leader amongst this crop of upperclassmen. As for the freshmen, young talent is young.

Comment

Working...
                                X