Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

There was an article I read recently that said it was a bad idea to stream with wi fi, and that you should use a wired set up. It also said that you might be able to get away with one of the new dual band routers but still recommended a wired connection. Maybe fade can give us more info but I find that the TECH video pixelates a lot on wi fi but is a lot better with a wire hooked up. Compared to last year Tech's video is miles better.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
      Sat behind the Husky bench . . . the coaches did a good job of keeping their cool while the game was being played despite being 'hopping' mad. But it was clear that the calls - or the lack of calls - really changed the momentum of the game.
      A bonding experience for the team - maybe something to help them jell?
      Minor penalties: NMU 7 Tech 7. First period 2 each. Second Period: 1 each, Third Period: 3 each, plus one each after the final buzzer. It would seem like the calls were pretty even.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
        That's good to know. I was going to complain to Tech about the difference in video quality.....but it does beg the question, if NMU students can put out video of that quality, why can't MTU and NMU do it every night? It was awesome over my DSL. Proves that grainy video is not due to limitations imposed by the streaming service, but originates at the source. Good to hear that Dave Danis is still calling the regular games. I played Junior hockey with him in Houghton when I was a kid....and he was a Husky fan back then.
        One game per semester is produced at this level. Each is a project of a 300 level broadcasting class. I wish they could do every game like this, but with Dave commentating.
        Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
          One game per semester is produced at this level. Each is a project of a 300 level broadcasting class. I wish they could do every game like this, but with Dave commentating.
          Can anyone from Northern find out what the differences are between last nights production vs. the normal production?

Is it the camera? Is it the internet connection? etc., etc.?

Is it more expensive to implement this production vs. normal?

I would pay $20 for a production as clear as last nights was.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Minor penalties: NMU 7 Tech 7. First period 2 each. Second Period: 1 each, Third Period: 3 each, plus one each after the final buzzer. It would seem like the calls were pretty even.
            True enough - the number of penalties were evenly called. I'm not sure numbers are all that matter, though. Example: if a team on the PK has a player slashed/tripped and there is a no call, it remains a PP and not a 4-4. Just curious...did you think it was a well called game?

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              I know, isn't it bizarre? For some reason they were dead set on evening up the calls despite all evidence. Not to mention the overturned Kero goal because of phantom interference. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole crew out of work. Up here even the Squirts leagues get better reffing than the CCHA does.
              And even though it's Northern, it's still technically "college" hockey (in a way), and technically NCAA members so these guys might be finding themselves back in the kids' leagues. Just not anywhere west of Marquette.

OUCH, fake hockey league!
              Pearson said he didn't agree that a stick took Coreau down on the play.

"Tanner just sort of clips him, but the guy takes, in my estimation, a dive," Pearson said to USCHO. "Just incidental contact, but I have to defer to the referees."

Prior to talking with USCHO, Pearson blasted the CCHA officiating crew in his postgame interview on the radio home for the Huskies, WKMJ-FM.

"I'm glad I'm out of the CCHA," said Pearson, who was an assistant at Michigan from 1988-2011. "I'm going to say it. If I get fined, I don't care. It was atrocious. I'm going to call (CCHA director of officials) Steve Piotrowski. Even their coach (NMU's Walt Kyle) said to me after the game, 'You should be happy you're not in the league.' He was referring to the refereeing. It was, let's just say it was not good and I'll stop at that."
              Last edited by geezer; 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Mel's showing some fire on the radio. On Kero's disallowed goal:

i did a quick check on NMU's record vs Michigan Tech since Walt Kyle took over in 2002. 16-7-5. 3-0 vs Mel. Let's hope Mel takes some of that fire and starts turning it around against the Wildcats.
                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  And even though it's Northern, it's still technically "college" hockey (in a way)
                  for the win!
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                    True enough - the number of penalties were evenly called. I'm not sure numbers are all that matter, though. Example: if a team on the PK has a player slashed/tripped and there is a no call, it remains a PP and not a 4-4. Just curious...did you think it was a well called game?
                    I thought it was an evenly called game. There was a call or two that went against both sides that I disagreed with. There were some non calls both ways I disagreed with. I don't think it was the best called game I've ever seen. But I don't think either team gained an advantage from the officiating.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      A diving NMU goalie? Say it ain't so!

So it seems to me that maybe Kero delivered enough of a blow (or was pushed?) to warrant goalie interference and the disallowed goal, but maybe Coreau sold it and NMU should've been given an embellishment minor. Without a video replay, I can't say whether I agree with any of this or not.

At any rate, this is all moot. The only thing left to say is that we've known for years that CCHA refs seem to call a much tighter game (in some cases, ridiculously so) than the WCHA refs. In the nWCHA, I would hope to see a Director of Officials that encourages his crews to, within reason, let the teams decide the game's outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        So it seems to me that maybe Kero delivered enough of a blow (or was pushed?) to warrant goalie interference and the disallowed goal, but maybe Coreau sold it and NMU should've been given an embellishment minor. Without a video replay, I can't say whether I agree with any of this or not.
                        I know, it's getting harder to gin up a pointless argument in the days of video replay. In my day (before motion pictures), we would hear two completely mutually exclusive stories about the same play, and nobody could ever be proven wrong. Those fights were a lot of fun. Plus we didn't wear helmets. And our skates were just shards of iron we could tie on our shoes or fight each other to death with.... good ol days.
                        But seriously, everyone around here is getting to reserved and mature. We need some angry frustrated 20-year-olds to sign up and renew the fun.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          I know, it's getting harder to gin up a pointless argument in the days of video replay. In my day (before motion pictures), we would hear two completely mutually exclusive stories about the same play, and nobody could ever be proven wrong. Those fights were a lot of fun. Plus we didn't wear helmets. And our skates were just shards of iron we could tie on our shoes or fight each other to death with.... good ol days.
                          But seriously, everyone around here is getting to reserved and mature. We need some angry frustrated 20-year-olds to sign up and renew the fun.
                          You could clearly see his skate touch caraoauuauuau skate, definitely wasn't pushed as all. Whether coreuauauaua emphasized it a bit extra... Well that is debatable.
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            Can anyone from Northern find out what the differences are between last nights production vs. the normal production?

Is it the camera? Is it the internet connection? etc., etc.?

Is it more expensive to implement this production vs. normal?

I would pay $20 for a production as clear as last nights was.
                            Seems the main determinant is the bitrate that the originator of the stream uses. NMU's stream was probably 800 or 1200 kbps instead of the normal 300-500 kbps.
                            I guess the issue is that slower connections can't show the higher band-width very well.
                            However, given the lack of complaints about the NMU video, I would guess most Cable and DSL subscribers had no trouble with it.
                            Tech should look into streaming at the higher rate for a game or two to see if anyone complains.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                              Seems the main determinant is the bitrate that the originator of the stream uses. NMU's stream was probably 800 or 1200 kbps instead of the normal 300-500 kbps.
                              I guess the issue is that slower connections can't show the higher band-width very well.
                              However, given the lack of complaints about the NMU video, I would guess most Cable and DSL subscribers had no trouble with it.
                              Tech should look into streaming at the higher rate for a game or two to see if anyone complains.
                              I've had no problem with the feed this year, except for audio. It scales fine to my HD tv.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I'm heading to the midget major showcase this weekend at Notre Dame. I'll report what i see on the recruit (Boeing) from Shattuck.
                                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X