Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I was going to post that the prelim US World Juniors roster would be announced this morning. I see it's already been anounced and Blake Pietila is on it.

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
    i sure hope you're going there to win Mel. last year Northern kicked Tech's *** all over the rink. beat them to every loose puck and physicially dominated Tech.
    I think that was the game Mel regrets because he let some players head straight home after the game and they may have mentally already been on the holiday break.

Mel Pearson show summary from 12/3:
    On Friday night:
    Bad start, concered about that because of 2 games in 3 weeks,
    A couple bad bounces on 1st goal, they jumped us on 2nd goal, 3rd goal unacceptable, can't give that goal up

Dirk wanted to touch on Genoe:
    If he's having trouble handling the puck, why keep handling it? One 3rd goal, he made the right read to play the puck, UMD would've been first to the puck, on taht one should always go forward because he's so far towards the blue line, going back, bad things can happen

The last few weeks we've gotten down early, after weeks off. This week on Friday he had a special mtg right when guys got to the rink, to stree urgency, it didn't work.
    It's not like we weren't ready, a few bounces and we were down 3-0
    Dirk pointed out Mel was very concerned about a slow start Friday, talked abotu it off-air, blue luncheon, pregame interview etc, tried diff things leading up to the game and on gameday
    UMD came in dealing with adversity, anytime you give them a spark, that spark carried through all weekend, disapointed we opened that door early on Friday
    Remember they're 2 years removed from a championship, we're 2 years removed from winning 4 games, can still see small glimmers of that on both sides
    Not much between two teams, a testament of how far we've come
    Our depth was better than theirs, but we took too many penalties to use it, bad offensive zone penalties
    Some calls were ticky tack, all the penalties took us out of our game
    Good goal by Kero, right before that we were in danger of being down 5-0 but Genoe made a great save, this made it 1-4
    Hietila goal, good quick shot
    D. Johnstone goal makes it 3-4, he's played extremely well, simplified things and played more honest game, north-south, he's skating well and all in to the game,
    We took over the play, generated chances, on the PP, but then we get a penalty
    Mel questioned that call, their bench had a big say in that, they called a slash, tough call, and the way we couldn't kill a penalty, big call
    Score looks worse than the game was, half way through 3rd, we had most of the momentum, and then a coupld calls went against us
    Mel called supervisor, should've have been called, not a chippy game, they shouldn't have been called, that's reffing, we have to kill penalties, we didn't
    0-5 on PP, lot of good things, Petan great chance when games was 4-3, Petan handles the puck, gave the gaolie just enough time to get over

On Saturday games:
    Austin Farley for UMD had big weekend, very good for freshmen for UMD, we tried to recruit him out of Chicago, but UMD had been on him for a few years already
    D. Johnstone gets Tech's first goal, didn't handle the puck, quick shot, huge goal, real tight game on Saturday, not much space, lot of checking
    JJ gets the PP goal, great play by Petan, they've got some great chemistry
    Our best period was 3rd, but everytime we took a penalty had no confidence, just tryign to hold on
    Jujhars penalties- not upset with him at all, yes, he has to learn, but he's playign so hard, maybe a little over agressive, a coupl week ones, talked about one with him that he can't do
    JJ had 8 min in box on Friday (served 2 many men), 1 on Saturday
    Blake Pietila took some tough penalties this weekend, blake has to realize when he has to let up a little bit too, he's strong and in the corner, someone may go down, told refs don't call penalties because one guy is stronger
    Pietila gets the next goal, talked alot about getting the puck to the net, good things will happen, Petan got it to the net, Blake puts it in
    We pull goalie, they call too many men accidently, turned out it didn't matter, but Mel's seen it happen, ref went straight to the penalty box, he said he's never done that and apologized
    Seigo ties the game with 50 seconds left, good patience, nice low stick side shot
    This felt like a good tie

Questions for Mel:

With 1/3 of the season done, where is the team compared to what you thought?
    About where he thought we'd be, maybe thought we'd have a few more wins. Knew goaltending could be an issue, thought defense would be better as a group. Overall, happy, not ecstatic. Keep in mind big picture of where this program is going. We're in teh thick of things, looking at 2nd half could make some hay.

What areas has the team improved the most on?
    Our offense, we were ranked 18th/19th, good after loosing McLeod, Baker, Olson. Younger players have stepped in. Genoe has emerged a little, had some inconsistencies.

One area we need to be better at?
    Defensively, last year GAA under 3. This year up in that category, combination of PK, defense and goaltending. Can't give up this many goals.

Will we practice today (Monday)?
    Yes, we were spent on Saturday, can see it in locker room, haven't seen that this year. Concernead about energy. Light skate today, nice sweat, this NMU game looked great on the schedule this summer, but with two big games at UW coming up, want enough energy.

How do you coach players when refs don't call penalties consistently?
    Will deal with adversity. Have to overcome that and deal with that. Mel has to watch himself, doesn't want himself to lose control and team to follow suit and get more woried abour reffing than playign the game.

How do you decide Dman pairing?
    Watch practice, who looks good with each other. Want a pair who can be real good defensively. All 3 coaches, especially Whitten give input.

Any NMU memories as player? Last game Mel played against them, was a 3rd place NCAA tourney game at DECC in Duluth. We beat NMU, Mel's last game as player at Tech.

NMU Tuesday night, they play well at home. They've had a tought schedule, dealing with a few injuries. Their goalie has played well, gives them a chance every night.
    Walt does a good job, always has his team ready to play. Our first game of year on Olympic sheet, different game on there. They doe a nice job on PK, pack it in and play a tight box.

On Badgers:
    Great college hockey town. UW storied program, big setting. They had a good weekend against DU, got a few players back. They've played a lot better than their record. They'll present a different challenge. Wont give up much defensively. Both goaltenders playing well.
    Two big games, we're tied with them in standings.

Huge games next 2 weeks, NMU, UW, UND. Need to find a way to go 4-1. If we do what we need to do, need better goaltending & PK.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      ...NMU Tuesday night, they play well at home. ... They do a nice job on PK, pack it in and play a tight box.
      *Whew* Glad Mel has been looking at last year's game tape and doesn't have any footage of NMU from this season. We're currently 52nd in the nation for Penalty Kill at 76.1%. Only related teams worse are Alaska Anchorage at 54th (75.5), Bowling Green at 55th (75.4), Colorado College, 56th (75.0), and well, you guys at 58th (74.1%).

A far cry from where our PK was last season where it finished Nationally at 5th best with a kill rate of 86%.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        you guys at 58th (74.1%).
        defense and goaltending have been disappointing for Tech so far. Look for freshman Jamie Phillips to get his first start tonight and some bench players to step in for significant minutes ahead of the WI series. Looking for high energy from those guys who want to earn more ice time.
        Gazette preview
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Yeah, plenty of stuff in the Gazette article.

- Aaron Pietila and Tommy Brown will likely play tonight
          - Jamie Phillips likely in net
          - Sova's wrist not healing as fast, likely out until Christmas
          - Hyland likely play with Brown, Fillion is battling back problems

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
            I was going to post that the prelim US World Juniors roster would be announced this morning. I see it's already been anounced and Blake Pietila is on it.

write up on the preliminary roster.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...rds/#more-5482

Blake Pietila — LW — Michigan Tech — He might be a first-line winger for the Huskies, but on the junior team, he’ll be expected to crash and bang on the fourth line. I don’t know that there is anyone among the left wings that has the same defensive capabilities as Pietila. He is terrific on the forecheck and along the boards. Pietila has a great compete level which is why I think he’s a near lock for inclusion on the final roster. You need guys that do some of the dirty work to win at this tournament and Pietila has proven in the past he can do just that. As an added bonus, he’s scored eight goals this year as a sophomore, so he’s not inept offensively. New Jersey Devils
            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Ouch. Both to a lack of Blake for the GLI, and tonight's loss.

Comment

Fair to say that Tech and Northern should be in overtime. That disallowed goal was BRUTAL!!!!!!

That said, Jamie Phillips played well; the team played hard, but not well. Game deserved a tie, which is apparently an NMU win???!?

Comment

Watched the game on NMU's live broadcast....paid a lot less $$ for twice as nice of a picture....kudos to Northern for really nice quality internet video and great camera work. Tech's streaming costs more for grainy video. That said, NMU's announcers were awful. I think they were intentionally butchering the Tech players' names. Alex PEET'n, Tanner ka-ROW, Blake pa-TEE-la, and my favorite....Jarjar Khaira. Meesa thinks theysa idiots.

Comment

Tough loss for sure. I think we will see Brown a lot from here on. A Pietila played well and I'm surprised Licktieg was not there. Even though we lost I think the team is getting noticeably better.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Mel's showing some fire on the radio. On Kero's disallowed goal:

Originally posted by Mel Pearson
                      I'm glad I'm out of the CCHA. I'm going to say it, if I get fined... I don't care. It's atrocious. Even their coach said to me after the game 'You should be happy you're not in the league' ..

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                        Watched the game on NMU's live broadcast....paid a lot less $$ for twice as nice of a picture....kudos to Northern for really nice quality internet video and great camera work. Tech's streaming costs more for grainy video. That said, NMU's announcers were awful. I think they were intentionally butchering the Tech players' names. Alex PEET'n, Tanner ka-ROW, Blake pa-TEE-la, and my favorite....Jarjar Khaira. Meesa thinks theysa idiots.
                        That was a better feed than normal. The usual fare is "grainy video." I don't know why it was clearer and widescreen, but it might have something to do with the NMU students that were producing it for a class. The announcers were students. Most game audio with the video stream is Dave Danis "Wildcat Dave" from 100.3. I was surprised at the quality of the video tonight--even though my terrible AT&T DSL couldn't keep up with it at times.
                        NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Mel's showing some fire on the radio. On Kero's disallowed goal:
                          That's a good sign from the coach. Passion. Anger. 'Screw the idiots,' etc. I heard John MacInnes do the same thing once about officiating and the NCAA in the same rant on the radio no less. It was so strong that he later apologized. Hopefully Pearson's attitude rubs off on his players.

Comment

will be interesting to see if he does get fined. for speaking the truth?
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                              That was a better feed than normal. The usual fare is "grainy video." I don't know why it was clearer and widescreen, but it might have something to do with the NMU students that were producing it for a class. The announcers were students. Most game audio with the video stream is Dave Danis "Wildcat Dave" from 100.3. I was surprised at the quality of the video tonight--even though my terrible AT&T DSL couldn't keep up with it at times.
                              That's good to know. I was going to complain to Tech about the difference in video quality.....but it does beg the question, if NMU students can put out video of that quality, why can't MTU and NMU do it every night? It was awesome over my DSL. Proves that grainy video is not due to limitations imposed by the streaming service, but originates at the source. Good to hear that Dave Danis is still calling the regular games. I played Junior hockey with him in Houghton when I was a kid....and he was a Husky fan back then.

Comment

Sat behind the Husky bench . . . the coaches did a good job of keeping their cool while the game was being played despite being 'hopping' mad. But it was clear that the calls - or the lack of calls - really changed the momentum of the game.
                                A bonding experience for the team - maybe something to help them jell?

Comment

Working...
                                X