Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I hate bye weeks, makes everything more boring.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I missed this week's DMG article until now. Sounds like Pearson breathed a lot easier this week.

Originally posted by Mel Pearson
      "I don't think I can really say enough how important it really is. You don't even think about what the alternative was. We needed those wins," he said. "We didn't talk about that a lot as a team, how bad we needed it or where we were in the standings or anything like that. We talked about the preparation and the things we needed to do to be successful - but without a doubt it was a huge weekend."

But, strangely enough, you know what it wasn't? A huge difference on the ice from the Nebraska-Omaha series.

"I don't think a lot other than the critical saves at key times, and our special teams played better," Pearson said. "I thought we competed against Omaha well. They found a way to win and we didn't, and in Bemidji we did. That's why I tried to explain we were playing well."

But that message resonates a lot clearer after consecutive wins than five straight losses.

"I was really happy and proud and pleased to see how our true character showed up and how we worked and stayed with it," Pearson said. "They're buying in and to get rewarded is huge, too. If you don't you start second-guessing things, but I think it was critical we found a way to win those games."

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        I hate bye weeks, makes everything more boring.
        Welcome to my world. UAA has had two already!! Arg!!
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I don't mind the byes. Still plenty of hockey to watch, with much less stress. I'm flipping between the Minnesota-Vermont game and the BSU-UAA game right now. Later I'm going to have to check out that Notre Dame-USC foosball game.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm actually happy to get some knocked out this month. We've got seven games between now and Christmas. It's worse if you've got two bye weekends down in the stretch in February and March, IMHO. Thankfully, our only off weekend after January is Feb. 22/23.

Comment

Was looking to make the trip up there for the UND series. Couple things: Do games sell out? I don't wanna buy tix ahead of time due to the possibility of weather/lake effect snow. Also, where do the visiting fans sit?
              'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
                Was looking to make the trip up there for the UND series. Couple things: Do games sell out? I don't wanna buy tix ahead of time due to the possibility of weather/lake effect snow. Also, where do the visiting fans sit?
                Not usually, and for that weekend (the first of Tech's Christmas break), definitely not. Visitors usually sit in Sections F, G, and H, which is the end at which UND will shoot for Periods 1 & 3.

Comment

Anybody catch the Mel Pearson show?
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Does anyone know if Reid Sturos has signed a LOI?

Mel Pearson show summary for 11-26, Mel was on the phone:

Good Holiday with Family, had some good practices too in last couple of days
                    Worked on PP and special teams, diff line combos and Dman pairings
                    Wanted to keep game sharp, forecheck and defensive zone coverage, we used our time very well this last week

Dirk asked Mel to touch on guys that have been in and out of lineup, Gordic and Hietila etc:
                    Milos banged up a little, but he's fine, been practicing
                    Hietila has been in, done a nice job, we have some depth and are okay with plugging guys in that havne't played as much
                    Holmberg has looked good in practice
                    Hyland played on Saturday, got thrown in 9 games into season, Muckalt had him playing in OT, defensively played well, offensive instincts realy good on Sat in Bemidji. He's older Freshmen, little more comfortable putting him, but still have to see him play at this level.
                    D. Sova - will have X-ray on Thursday, hopefully could start practicing a week from today, broken wrist is in a spot that doesn't heal very fast, maybe WI, but UND may be more realistic, has been skating everyday

Mel touched on recruits that signed LOIs during early signing period:
                    Early signing period is 2nd Wed of Nov, other signing period is in April
                    Sent out 8 LOIs, kids can defer if they don't feel ready to commit for Fall, got 8 LOIs back, not sure if all 8 will come in this fall
                    Had 3 Dmen, 5 Forwards - will also look for 3rd Goalie to replace Genoe
                    We've also had kids verbal that for whatever reason can't sign LOI and will wait until April period

Recruits - Dmen:
                    Mark Evan Auk - Port Huron of NAHL, offensive Dman, can come in play PP/special teams, first year of NAHL, has offers to finish season in USHL, not sure if he will stay in NAHL, needs to decide that with his family

Marcus Ericsson - USHL, mobile Dman from Sweden, strong kid, skates well, plays with edge, projected as a real solid top 4 Dman on our team

Chris Leibringer - from Saginaw, in USHL, smaller 5'10", 185 lbs, works hard, talented, will help on PP, may lead Muskegon in Pts and +/- right now

Dirk commented a good mix of Dman types, all three skate well and coudl play on PP
                    Mark might be the guy that needs another year, younger, only a senior in HS, will get stronger
                    But they all have things you can't teach, offensive instincts and skating

Recruits-Forwards:
                    Tyler Heinonen - been a verbal for awhile, Delano HS, in USHL, slow start last year, but 2nd half last year picked it up, 20 goals as rookie in USHL is good, good start this year, leading Muskegon in scoring, he'll add offense, good size, gets around sheet well, can get quicker, he likes to score, shoots to score, likely be top shot guy, doesn't pass up shots

Jake Jackson - Tartan HS - watched him in Elite league this fall, excited about him, can really skate, outstanding speed, plays hard, nice touch around net, he'll be a scorer, candidate for Mr. Hockey, we'll see how his season goes, could be next fall, most kids need a year of Juniors, he'll have to sit down after season

Joel L'Esperance - Brighton, MI - USHL, big/strong kid, offensive instinct, slow start this year, young 1995 birthday, he's finding his way in USHL, a lot of upside/potential, he can add size/power forward, good instinct, Mel's told he's missing the net a lot right now, once he gets comfortable he'll put up numbers. Joel was invited to select festival last summer, had a good summer there. Real excited for him to get here.

Mike Neville - Woodbridge, Ontario, Mel's had success recruiting in Woodbridge, plays for St. Mike, strong Ontario Junior HL, captain of Hockey East for World Junior A hky tourney, good leader, doesn't put up a lot of numbers, strong skater, creates turnovers, he can finish, will add a role player that we need. Dirk - "Who is he similar to?" Maybe like a Rix, not as good skater as Rix, but more polished offensively than Rix.

Dylan Steman - Maple Grove HS, now in USHL, good start, Whitten just saw him this weekend, played outstanding, good speed/motor, he'll play a lot of situations, add offense, good 2 way player/athlete, will be good solid all around player Has a good chance to be here next year, but will see how things go this year.

Will revist all guys and end of season and want all guys to be over ready when they get here, to contribute.

Dirk - "What's goalie situation, when we have 2 scholarship guys already?"
                    Still early, we know we need another, we'll watch Jamie and Copley, in no rush, not going to verbal anyone in next few weeks. We have a list of kids, some scholarship, and some that wouldn't be. There's not much difference, have seen kids like Hunwick at MI that was brought in on no money. We want the best goalie we can get for the situation, weather it's on scholarship or not. Both Jamie and Pheonix will be good/solid they need time to develop.

They reviwed the WCHA & non-conf results from last weekend

Questions for Mel:

WI has gone to a trap, can it be succesful for them with the big ice sheet?
                    Yes it can be, they have more of a 1-1-3 forechecking system. It's been around a little bit, they're trying to always have 3 guys back and let 2 guys forecheck. When they're not scoring goals and they're behind, tough to come back from.

On Friday night against Minnesota tech was skating out of the zone pretty well, on Saturday we were more chipping it out of the zoen and dumping the puck in the zone, is this becuase of Tech or Minnesota forced Tech to do it.
                    Some of both, they didn't give our guys much time and out guys had to chip it up and let the Forwards make plays.

Walker Hyland, will he continue to be in the lineup?
                    He had a real good game, he's earned himself another look, yes should crack thie lineup this weekend.
                    Other Forwards, would like to get Holmberg in sometime, Likteigh hasn't played much, but has shown his speed in practice. A. Pietila showed he can play agsint UNO, we have depth but can only dress 18 skaters. Tommy Brown has continued to look good, has not said anythign about not playing, he competes and skates so well, would like to get him in as well at defense.

On UMD Series:
                    They're a scary team, they know how to play, have a lot of speed and grit.
                    Still trying to find identity after losing scoring from last year.
                    They're trying to find a goalie kind of like us.
                    Two important home games.
                    We have 7 games left until xmas break, would like to make a strong push.
                    Bergmen on D, good player, high hockey IQ.

Need to get Furne, J. Johnstone & Gordic scoring.
                    Goalie this week is up in the air, has a good idea but doesn't want to say yet.
                    But then Mel did say Genoe has played strong and has earned another start (sounded like it's Genoe). Hope he can take the ball and run like Robinson last year. All goalies improving, Jamie has made big strides, want to get him in a game soon, COpley has worked on a few thing with Steve, goaltending will be a strong point down the road.

Blue Line Luncheon will be on Friday, noon, Continental Fire Company. Suggest anyone in downtown area to walk over and talk a little hockey.

Mel will be there with an assitant. They will talk about recruits and answer any questions.

Mel's final note:
                    Paul Kirtu(sp?) has been a big supporter of Michigan Tech hockey, his brother passed away this past weekend unexpectedly. They both traveled all over to watch MTU hockey for years. Paul and Peter were up for Hall of Fame weekend. Condolences to Paul Kirtu.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      Anybody catch the Mel Pearson show?
                      yes, good quotes about our signees.This took about 2/3 of the show. Mentioned all 8 by name and gave a synopsis of them. I think he is very high on Jackson, and a couple more. He said it's yet to be determined how many will be in Houghton next year but it sounded like he expects most of them though a couple are on the bubble. Said he wanted them to be over ready and to be able to contribute right away rather than having to develop in order to just play.
                      Said he thought UMD was a quality opponent that was still getting things worked out with losing all their guys, and that as they do they will be better. He said he expected some very entertaining games this week. He was asked who would start in goal and didn't give a definitive answer, but I'm guessing Genoe. he did say all the goalies have gotten much better recently. He also said they were looking for a goalie to replace Genoe and come in as a number three guy for next year. they are not in a hurry to sign one but have their eyes on several.

Dirk talked about some games last week specifically the Wisconsin series, and he said they have been hurt by circumstances and he expected them to improve. He said they are also getting used to a new fore-check system, a 1-1-3.

He was asked if Hyland would play again this week and I believe he said yes, sova being another couple of weeks out. He also said that Brown, Licktieg and Heitila have done well in practice and will get in soon. He said they got a lot done on some areas that needed practice during the bye week, and mentioned how he hopes they make a push between now and christmas as they have a lot of league games coming up. I hope that too, it critical if you ask me, to get back to 500 before the GLI, if we want a chance to be in the mix come march.

also from my perspective, Mankato is way better than people are giving them credit for, and I wonder if they still play the trap or if that is gone with jutting. One thing seems certain though, you better bring your A game every night in this league if you want to win.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised with st cloud being as good as they are. I was also surprised with the beating Michigan took in nyc this last week.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It's Paul Kerttu, and he and his brother are/were great guys. Talked to them on many occasions about Tech Hockey. As for the recruits, Reid Sturos has not signed an NLI. Should be interesting to see how that shakes out. As for the other 8 mentioned, my guess is 2 of the defenseman and 3 of the forwards come in next year with the rest getting deferred a year.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I was also surprised with the beating Michigan took in nyc this last week.
                          Michigan is beatable. Maybe it has something to do with Mel leaving; this just isn't the typical Michigan teams of years past.

But, there is still the stigma of Michigan being a B1G team and "all they do is win." They also step up the goon factor when they get frustrated.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            They also step up the goon factor when they get frustrated.
                            Every team does that when the losses start piling up.

I'm guessing the early departures and never-shows have finally caught up with them a bit. They have to start freshmen goalies for the first time in awhile after Hunwick stepped up to bail them out of some close games for a couple of seasons. So far it's looking like they're going to have the season Notre Dame did last year, but I'd never put it past Red to turn a potential dud into a tourney team by the end of the season.

But, let's get back to the business of beating Duluth this weekend.

Comment

Why are we talking about the Ugly Helmets? Who gives a flying **** about their ****ty *** team?
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Pretty excited about my latest addition and wanted to share so here goes...

Recently added this to our historical collection and I am pleased to share it here so that all fans of the Huskies may enjoy it. It is a ring from the 1964-65 national championship team. More than a decade went into tracking this down and trying to obtain it, but it was worth the effort to preserve this great piece of Michigan Tech Hockey history. (There was also a plaque originally with the ring, but the search goes on for that item.)
                                Go Tech! Go Huskies!
                                Ryan J

Click on the image to view the full sized version in a new window.
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X