Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Mel is extremely upbeat and optimistic on the radio show right now. Not sure if in denial, drunk, or way smarter than me about the state of the team. Claims they are doing quite a bit better than last year in spite of the losses.
    I was surprised too, overall pretty optimistic.

Mel Pearson show summary:

Dirk welcomed questions be sent to dj@themix93.com

Tough weekend, we're here to win hockey games, after watching both games again, we did a lot of good things, we're right there, a bounce/timely goal or save we might win 2 games
    The negative part is we're not getting it done, we have to and we will
    Told team we are dealing with adversity, it's how you deal with it, we have to look at it, be positive, move forward
    Sat had 7 grade A chances in first period, jut not scoring to create seperation, so when we give up a goal it's magnified, they'll go in eventually

Why not more success agains a team like UNO?
    The last 3 weekends, have played 3 diff teams, UMN up and down ice, try to make plays, not as good defense and goaltending, took advantage of that, put pressure on them
    At DU, they play very defensive game, best goaltending, they sit back, have to be patient, have to score on PP against DU
    UNO hardest working team of 3, they come after you with pressure, not much time/space with puck, mabe best defense in league, all big guys, they take up space
    Can't force the puck going in, sometimes you get bounces, sometimes you don't
    For example, on 3 of UNO's sat goals, shot from half wall went in, 3rd goal, not much of a play, sneeks in, 4th goal, reboudn right back out to UNO and shot goes in

We were ready against DU and UNO, outshooting DU both games, played well
    We're not giving our freshmen goalie much help by not scoring
    Each team is very good, there's parity in college hockey, have to be ready every night
    We changed our forecheck against UNO, they try to get puck out as fast as possible, doesn't make sense to send 2 gusy in

Overall playing better, but in some key areas we're not, PP goals, maybe goaltending we had Robinson last year
    Dirk pointed out schedule harder than last year
    That's probably the best we've played through 5 periods in a long time, just not getting the goals

They reviewed goals from Friday's game:
    They came after us right away Friday
    Raubenheimer/Fillion battle, he got some room on Fillion, remarkable play falling down slides the puck in
    Good goal by Kero, he's pressing a little bit, maybe shooting when he shouldn't and vice versa, but good goal for him
    PP at the end of a game, give up SHG, tough goal to give up, even before that B. Pietila had a chance all alone in the slot
    lose the faceoff, 2x2, Tanner looks down at the puck, UNO blows by and tough goal to give up
    We were better team last 2 periods, had opportunities, but didn't put them in
    Very disapointed in locker room, victory snatched out of your hands, not a systems break down, simple break down 1x1, taught to play the man instead of puck
    We played hard and well enough to win game

On Saturday:
    We scored 1st, D. Johnstones 1st of season, real big goal, usually good when we have lead
    We got some great chances besides this in 1st, 7 or 8 Grade A chances, they had shots advantage but we outchanced them 8-1 Grade A chances
    We had a good 2nd period, but they scored 4 goals, we had good attempts around the net
    Didn't like UNO's 2nd and 3rd goals, Copley is trying hard, just getting some tough bounces
    When we're not scoring, every goal they score is more inflated
    Mel rewatched the game yesterday, if we play like we do, fix a few things and score, we'll be fine
    B. Pietila good putback to make it 2-2, thought we would be fine
    UNO PP goal, we had a chance to clear puck, plenty of time, didn't get it out, they kept it and they got a goal
    Don't like how we reacted after that, he a Forward back because a Dman had played in the rush, Forward misplayed it, Robenheimer gets the rebound and scores, 2 goal lead, big goal for UNO
    Decided to pull goalie early, 4 min left to get offensive pressure, but they score
    Petan goal made it 5-3, we battled to the end
    Give our team credit, they battled and fought hard, two solid efforts, the guys are doing a lot of good things,
    played well defensively, didn't give them much utnil 3rd period Saturday

2 ways to look at this bye weekend, we're struggling, so good time to get away and work on a few things, with no game, no concern about the guys being tired
    Otherside is we want to keep laying and get out of this funk
    This will be a good week, 2 extra days of practice this week

Questions:
    Last year when we played UNO, they were one of the better teams we played, how are they similar or different from last year?
    Similar hard work ethic, aggresive. Last year they treid to make better plays, this year they simplified it, not tryign to amek plays but limit how much their defensmen handle the pucks, same system overall.

We all had high expectations after UMN, and still had high expectations after DU, what to say
    Easiest time to get down is when the team is down. This is the time to stay positive, we're playing extremely well, we're playing better this year than at this point last year even though record is opposite. A lot of good things going on, good players/kids, hang in there. It's a long season.

Last week Genoe did not go to DU, how does it affect a player and his practicing?
    We talked to Kevin, told him to work hard and be ready. Goalie situation is still open. Kevin was ready this weekend, nic job Friday, Saturday in relief he played extremely well. Need to stay in touch with all players, let them know where they stand.

Was sitting Gould and Furne injury or change in lineup?
    Change in lineup, Furne was leading goal scorer last year, there are things he needs to do to play well. Thought with UNO wanted to see other players. A. Pietila did a good job, Hietila did a real nice job for first ever game at Tech.
    We were better team for two periods, but couldn't score and gave up a couple we should've had.

Mel's thoughts on Jujhar's penalty wwhile we were on PP?
    We talked about that JJ knew it right away. We did a good job on the weekend overall, 2 penalties Friday, 3 Saturday, did good overall. Everyone knows on power play can't take penalties.

How do we right the ship on the PP?
    Keep working. Made some tweaks Saturday that created opportunities. No Furne on Sat so inserted someone new, 1-3 on PP Saturdya, Simplify it and get pucks to the net.

What was coaching staffs thoughts on faceoffs on weekend?
    Much better on Saturday. We spent time on it this week. JJ was 13-4 on Saturday, we'll spend more time this week on it. We got some opportunities off the faceoff, just didn't cash in.

on GLI, cancelling of events at Comerica park with Tech and other teams, will be inside.
    Mel's disapointed, big event. He's been part of 3 outdoor games, it would've been special. Feel bad for Seniors, it's a produce of NHL lockout. 29th and 30th inside at Joe Louis, hopefully will get opportunity next year. You never know, but hopefully it will happen a year from now.

We're playign good hockey, just a few things keeping us from wins.
    Not scoring, you can't give up goals, so when a bad goal goes in, it's magnified.
    Until we start scoring, need to be perfect, we're not right now
    Need to get the PP going.
    Will work on traffic in front of the net, battling down load.
    It's not all broken, we have a flat tire, we need to fix that and we'll be fine.
    When we don't score on PP, other team gets confident and takes penalties. We have to be better, we're middle fo the pack in nation on PP, want to be top 10% on PP and PK.
    Mel's not alarmed, fans shouldn't be alarmed, it's a journey not a sprint. We're making progress, May not see it in W/L

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I trust Mel, he definitely knows what he is doing and has proven that over his long career. Even with that said I want some of what he is smoking

Overall it's easier for the fans to concentrate on W/L as we don't see the day to day progress of the team and the behind the scenes work effort etc. I would think our final record will get closer to .500 but probably more like last years rather than breaking that .500 hump which I think a lot of us thought we would do at the beginning of the season.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

its certainly disappointing, but I do think the team looks as good as I've seen them. they are still young and doing some silly stuff. Eick is fast fast fast. Petan too. yes, think Chris Conner. goaltending ... in Steve Shields we shall trust. hopefully the worst is over and we will be racking up points soon.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

The bad news is the Huskies are 2-6-0 and we hoped/expected for more through this tough early schedule. While the Huskies longest losing streak was only 4 games last year, we have gone 2-6 over an eight game stretch (around GLI last year), we also went 2-5-1 after tying duluth before the big victory saturday and we also ended the regular season 1-5-2 before sweeping CC in Colorado Springs. The Huskies need to rebound and find a way to beat BSU in Bemidji...I don't think they've done that yet. Also of note, 3 times last year, the Huskies had 12+ days without game. The first game after an idle weekend the Huskies are 0-2 on the "road" (@Anchorage, @GLI) and 1-0 at home (vs UAA).
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So I've said this in the game chats but I am posting here to see what anyone else has to say. According to the radio broadcasts University Images has replica and authentic versions of the new jerseys for sale. I emailed University Images before I heard tha ads and asked them and they claim to only have replica jerseys. I personally want an authentic jersey, the exact same as the players wear with the tie down in the back and everything. So, for anyone who has been to the store this fall, do they have authentic jerseys or only replica?
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Michigan Tech Hockey Newsletter

http://static.psbin.com/6/p/no3x2wtq...Newsletter.pdf

We have a ways to go with the new scoreboard, will it even get installed before next season? We need to find some rich alumni.

Looking at the fundraising page, 2008 must've been when Jamie was pushign the Enrichment fund and it got all those donations.

overall some good ideas in here that Mel wants to see, likely how they've done things at Michigan, getting Hockey Alumni more involved, establishign good fundraising etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                Michigan Tech Hockey Newsletter

http://static.psbin.com/6/p/no3x2wtq...Newsletter.pdf

We have a ways to go with the new scoreboard, will it even get installed before next season? We need to find some rich alumni.

Looking at the fundraising page, 2008 must've been when Jamie was pushign the Enrichment fund and it got all those donations.

overall some good ideas in here that Mel wants to see, likely how they've done things at Michigan, getting Hockey Alumni more involved, establishign good fundraising etc.
                I don't think the numbers and charts you see are accurate now. I'm pretty sure there are more donors and more money. I'm fairly certain they will have the scoreboard ordered by spring time. But of course you never know until the money is actually in.

HF can you update us on fundraising?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I woke up in France this morning. Ha. Bottom line is, we have more takers than makers in this country. We are turning into Europe. Ask not what you can do for your country. But what your country can do for you. Where’s my free stuff?

maybe i'll go watch the U18's take on the Swiss tonite at the 4 nations Cup in Ann Arbor.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                    I woke up in France this morning. Ha. Bottom line is, we have more takers than makers in this country. We are turning into Europe. Ask not what you can do for your country. But what your country can do for you. Where’s my free stuff?

maybe i'll go watch the U18's take on the Swiss tonite at the 4 nations Cup in Ann Arbor.
                    Exactly. Sadly.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I don't think the numbers and charts you see are accurate now. I'm pretty sure there are more donors and more money. I'm fairly certain they will have the scoreboard ordered by spring time. But of course you never know until the money is actually in.HF can you update us on fundraising?
                      Wondering why you feel the charts are not accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        Wondering why you feel the charts are not accurate?
                        About a month ago I was told fund raising was going fairly well and that they were waiting on some important donors, no info since then but I would guess the newsletter was put together about that time. I was hoping HF had new information.

I also disagree that the majority of people who vote are lazy and looking to be taken care of. Are there people like that out there?. For sure, but I know the majority to be hard working, conscientious, and trying real hard. Just like most of us. They are very concerned about our countries economic future just like everyone else, but maybe voted the way they did for other reasons. So, because they happened to vote for one particular candidate is not a reason to assume they are lazy bums, or are not thinking about the issue, though fox news tries to scare you into thinking that.

My biggest objection to this whole election is that one side would try to make you feel un-american and disloyal for disagreeing. That's BS if you ask me.
                        Now I'll get off my high horse.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

There's multiple threads for political SENANICANS on the Cafe side...just sayin'.

Comment

fund raising for the new scoreboard is fine. they hoped to get it paid for, ordered and installed early this season, but that was a bit optimistic.
                            word is it will be in start of next season.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Recruit Evan Anderson was traded from Pentiction Vees to Salmon Arm in the BCHL.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2...tting-incident

Comment

yeah! hockey this week!
                                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Working...
                                X