Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Mel is extremely upbeat and optimistic on the radio show right now. Not sure if in denial, drunk, or way smarter than me about the state of the team. Claims they are doing quite a bit better than last year in spite of the losses.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by Pants View Post
      No offense, but I watched those games. That UNO squad looked strong. I think you are wrong in this assumption. MTU also look very lackluster.
      Maybe, but for them to be top half who you gonna boot out of there?. St Cloud, UND? UMN?, I don't see it. UNO is big defensively, but those big guys have weaknesses, we just didn't take advantage of them. Heck if they can't beat Bemidji at home I don't see them beating good teams. I think they are a mid pack team that will be fortunate to be top half, dean blais or not.

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Yup, we've bottom fed ourselves right into the NCHC next season right along side of DU, our bottom feeding brethren along with whom we've signed a contract with the NBC Sports Network:
      that's all well and good, but you have been drinking some serious cool aid my friend if you think your team will be better off next season. You will have a lot less post season money coming in, you will have a much more expensive travel budget, and you will get minimal revenue from the tv deal. So overall maybe you could explain how moving leagues is benefiting you. You certainly will not get more wins, and you will not have a better shot at post season play.

You could argue that tv gets you some recruiting advantage but that's disputed by the guys doing the recruiting, so i'm not seeing it.

I'd agree on one thing, we enjoyed playing against you, wins or not.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
        Will Tech Hockey Guide be posting any ofthe video or recordings from this weekend? I was hoping to hear the postgame interview from Saturday to hear Mel's demeanor
        They can be found in out weekend wrap-ups.
        http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...ebraska-omaha/

Just click the playlist button on the bottom of the player.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
          http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...tion-look-easy

They are finally starting to build from the back end out. In a few years, Tech's d-corp is shaping up to be among the most solid it's been in many, many years based on the quality of D they recruiting. That's when they will become legitimate contenders.
          i agree. building from the back end out. starting with this year's freshmen goalies. seems as though the forum is freaking out about a couple of losses. nobody said rebuilding was going to be easy. i'd like to see them bring is some D with size too, similiar to what they saw with UNO's defensemen this weekend.
          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
            i agree. building from the back end out. starting with this year's freshmen goalies. seems as though the forum is freaking out about a couple of losses. nobody said rebuilding was going to be easy. i'd like to see them bring is some D with size too, similiar to what they saw with UNO's defensemen this weekend.
            The good news is we're getting away from the 5'9" defensemen, everyone that is committed, except Leibinger is at least 6' and some of these recruits are pretty young an likely could end up 6'3" or more before they get to Houghton.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Pants View Post
              No offense, but I watched those games. That UNO squad looked strong. I think you are wrong in this assumption. MTU also look very lackluster.
              I picked UNO and Tech to both track high this season. I see both teams as about equal with Tech being the stronger of the two by a hair based on having more scoring ability.
              So far, the team is not playing consistently. If the Tech team that beat the Gophers showed up over the weekend, UNO would have lost.
              I think the team needs a bit more emotional maturity....they looked positively dismayed by UNO's toughness....almost like they weren't expecting it.
              UNO clearly has it together and is squeezing more performance out of their guys than we are.
              This Tech team has the potential to make the top third, but it's looking like a much longer shot after dropping 5 in a row.
              Next series will really tell the tale of this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                The good news is we're getting away from the 5'9" defensemen, everyone that is committed, except Leibinger is at least 6' and some of these recruits are pretty young an likely could end up 6'3" or more before they get to Houghton.
                good point. i'm sure a few of them will grow.
                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

One other thing from my limited viewing: JJ Khaira is a big athletic beast. When the flow of the game starts to click for him more, he's going to be very scary for the bad guys and a joy for Tech fans. Hopefully that happens before the end of 2012.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    One other thing from my limited viewing: JJ Khaira is a big athletic beast. When the flow of the game starts to click for him more, he's going to be very scary for the bad guys and a joy for Tech fans. Hopefully that happens before the end of 2012.
                    Eick has been far more impressive to me. Chris Conner like speed and exciting play.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

yeah, there is some talent among the freshmen. Unfortunately there are some growing pains to put up with. I saw one play where Eick skated it all the way in to the offensive zone, circled the net, and randomly shot it back out of the zone. I was like, what the frankfurter, Eick, do you want my vote or not.

Comment

Eick has been more impressive in what I've seen so far, but Khaira has a much, much higher ceiling than Eick, IMO. He's also the type of player that will take a little bit of time to get acclimated to the WCHA, which I think most of us knew going into this season.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Eick has been more impressive in what I've seen so far, but Khaira has a much, much higher ceiling than Eick, IMO. He's also the type of player that will take a little bit of time to get acclimated to the WCHA, which I think most of us knew going into this season.
                          If Eick can figure out the offensive part of his game, how to score and setup his teammates, he will far exceed any expectations I had for him. I thought he would be solid 4th line guy that used his speed to mess with the other team and frustrate them on the PK. If he can find a way to finish, it could become a deadly combination for the Huskies...but yes, Khaira has the highest ceiling of the frosh.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            If Eick can figure out the offensive part of his game, how to score and setup his teammates, he will far exceed any expectations I had for him. I thought he would be solid 4th line guy that used his speed to mess with the other team and frustrate them on the PK. If he can find a way to finish, it could become a deadly combination for the Huskies...but yes, Khaira has the highest ceiling of the frosh.
                            I think some folks are forgetting about Petan... When career is over, he will most likely be top goal scorer for this freshman group. Kid can flat out shoot the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by komquat View Post
                              I think some folks are forgetting about Petan... When career is over, he will most likely be top goal scorer for this freshman group. Kid can flat out shoot the puck.
                              He's very good, but with the knowledge that he has peaked athletically. Isn't he an old man compared to these other freshmen?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                And it's official, Mark Evan Auk commits to Michigan Tech today while on a campus visit. I think it's a good pickup at his age, he should be in USHL next year and seems to be another high ceiling kid.

write up on the new commit.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=6761

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X