Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Congrats everyone, we suck again.

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Let's not overreact to a 1 goal loss.
      Judge after the results tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah, let's not overreact, we've struggled to create offense against some good defensive teams, need to fight through it and figure it out.

Mel's postgame thoughts:
        All loses hurt a little, but that was tough
        Envisioning good things, unfortunately they made the play to win the game
        They play good defense, and work hard, but their big defense, take a lot away, very physical
        did a good job of forcing them to take penalties
        work on PP a lot this week, but didn't translate to the game
        UNO 2nd goal, Tanner was on point, have to watch the man, Tanner got caught watching the puck
        Yes they're good goals, but bet Kevin would like to have them back
        Have to score more than 1 goal
        Liked our defense, didn't some little things better like blocking shots
        we didn't make very good plays on a few 3x2s, we seemed hesitant, surprised Mel
        D. Johnstone skated much better, made some things happen, created the penalty
        Need to stay positive, get back at it tomorrow

Comment

Positives:
          We didn't give up 5 goals.
          Negatives:
          Generally everything else.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I was going to say, if there is one positive its that this is the fewest goals we've given up all season, problem is it also ties with fewest goals we've scored all season.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

ouch
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                if we can't even beat them what are we going to do against the better teams.
                I'm not even going to dignify that one with a direct response.

Suffice to say, I'll make a prediction. No matter what the outcome of UNO's season, they will be among the top 4 defensive teams in the WCHA this season.

I also note that Tech has allowed the most goals of any team in the conference this season, so far.

"Them" will be in another conference next year, so you won't have "them" to kick around any more after this season. Oh, wait.......I forgot, you haven't been, since UNO is 6-2-1, all time against Tech, including being unbeaten in Houghton.

O.K., I got that off my chest, now, genuine empathy. That is a tough loss. We've had our share since the beginning of last season and losing like that is gut punch for any team, or its fans. FYI, UNO was 2nd in the nation in shorties last season. That's been a hallmark for us since Coach Blais arrived. I'd argue that we, believe it or not, by and large, looked better shorthanded on offense than we did during our horrific power play last season.

I saw you guys play Minnesota and you sure didn't look like you sucked to me. This trip worried me after I saw our debacle last weekend (yet again) against Bemidji State, who positively OWNS us.

On to tomorrow night.

Comment

Finally saw a live hockey game.
                  Ew. Yuck.

Those Husky Dogs were NOT having fun playing the game. They were confused, frustrated, hesitant, and frightened. A lot of extra looks to the bench and heads hanging, not sure what is going on but not good things.

Chad and Blake looked good, or at least energetic. Sweeney was good, Nielsen maybe tried to do too much but I loved it when he picked the guy up after the whistle and set him back down behind the goal line like a wind-up toy.

And UNO plays a very solid defensive system. That penalty kill struck me as fantastic. Any team would be frustrated on PP against that team.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    And it's official, Mark Evan Auk commits to Michigan Tech today while on a campus visit. I think it's a good pickup at his age, he should be in USHL next year and seems to be another high ceiling kid.
                    http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...tion-look-easy

They are finally starting to build from the back end out. In a few years, Tech's d-corp is shaping up to be among the most solid it's been in many, many years based on the quality of D they recruiting. That's when they will become legitimate contenders.

Comment

Well I wish I could have seen it or heard it but it seems, the same old issues. A. Problems coming out of the zone. UNO has been very aggressive in the first period for several years, they come at you hard early. We have got to do better early withstand that onslaught and get the first goal. That first goal has been killing us.
                      Also you know, the whole up tempo thing depends on getting out of the zone quickly, without that it disrupts everything, our entire game plan goes down the tubes, and we look really pedestrian. So we have GOT to fix that.

B. Power play has not been good all year. All those penalties, you have to score at least 20% of the time on them. Especially not making things happen 5x3 is an issue. And shorties! if we are going to play a high risk game offensively we can live with a few, but without scoring maybe we should just forget the pp all together.

C. Faceoffs. No excuse not to win more big faceoffs. Especially in the offensive zone and on the pp, the whole thing starts there and without winning our share it is so much harder to get good chances.

It sounds like they are just mentally fragile, and getting down a goal early is making it so much harder to come back. I do expect us to get a lot better as the year goes by, but as you all know, if we don't right the ship quickly we are looking at 9th place, just like the polls said.

I like our recruits though.
                      Red cow, no offense but you guys are not the class of the league, if you finish 6th I'll be surprised.
                      Last edited by manurespreader; 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Gotta be able to beat the bottom tier teams like UNO and DU....yuck
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

From Stephen Anderson, A. Pietila and B. Hietila in, Furne and Gould out tonight

Goaltender still undecided

Comment

Copley starting
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ok, this has gone to beyond pathetic now, seems we now have the worst defense and worst offense in the WCHA. If we keep playing like this we'll be lucky to finish 11th in the WCHA. I know Mel knows what he is doing, but maybe we had our hopes to high for this year? I don't know what else to say, this has just been 4 straight games of absolutely pitiful play with little to nothing done correctly. Sigh.
                              2005-2006: 7-25-6
                              2006-2007: 18-17-5
                              2007-2008: 14-20-5
                              2008-2009: 6-25-7
                              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Gotta be able to beat the bottom tier teams like UNO and DU....yuck
                                Why is your avatar wrangler? jw

Comment

Working...
                                X