Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

It was nice to meet you too manurespreader! In other news, I know we had a few high profile recruits in town last weekend and we should know soon whether they choose MTU or elsewhere. I don't have names but some observations while in Houghton lean me towards a couple of MN high school prospects. If we can get either or both, I think people will be pretty impressed. Hopefully the Huskies can continue to capitalize on opponents mistakes and find a way to limit their own. I think we'll be giving Denver fits this weekend. WCHA Web Media Poll will be out soon and Michigan Tech was the biggest mover there. I'd like to see Brown and Hyland get a chance on defense at some point soon...The offense seems to be the the right 12 forwards but I'm sure Holmberg and Lickteig would be the ones that get mixed in with some regularity.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      It was nice to meet you too manurespreader! In other news, I know we had a few high profile recruits in town last weekend and we should know soon whether they choose MTU or elsewhere. I don't have names but some observations while in Houghton lean me towards a couple of MN high school prospects. If we can get either or both, I think people will be pretty impressed. Hopefully the Huskies can continue to capitalize on opponents mistakes and find a way to limit their own. I think we'll be giving Denver fits this weekend. WCHA Web Media Poll will be out soon and Michigan Tech was the biggest mover there. I'd like to see Brown and Hyland get a chance on defense at some point soon...The offense seems to be the the right 12 forwards but I'm sure Holmberg and Lickteig would be the ones that get mixed in with some regularity.
      Good weekend to have some MN HS recruits in town.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

And the Week 2 THG Web Media Poll is up. Tech makes the biggest jump from 8th to 5th this week after their split with Minnesota.
        http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...a-poll-week-2/
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well, it was a solid weekend, but I was glad to hear the players weren't happy with the split. Most Tech teams in the past 30 years would consider any split a success.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Did the team find some additional jerseys in the storage room to raffle? I had heard they might raffle new blank jerseys as an alternative.
            Ryan J
            They must have found some. Friday's jersey was a black & gold #33 from the last two years. Looks like the only player two wear 33 in the past two years was Alan L'Esperance. So looks like I got one with a little local connection down here.

Saturday night there was only one announced winner. I would say they didn't sell all of the tickets for the gold GLI one.

Comment

Good for you BB. Sorry I didn't come over and visit you all's tailgate, I got involved with the video guys and next thing you know it's game time.
              Mel said they will bring one extra defenseman, I also noted the Heitila skated, so that means to me he is in the mix to play along with Holmberg and Licktieg. I think, if the forwards we had are healthy, that they will go this week with no changes. He also said DU has probably the best goaltending in college hockey.

I guess I don't get it. there was a bigger attendance on saturday, so how could there be not enough seats sold? I bought a bunch of tickets saturday.
              I wonder if they think they will get this kind of attendance the rest of the way? That would be pretty good. I waited forever for food more than once.
              Should be an interesting weekend. Good luck to HF, I understand she will be at that morgue they call a rink.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

And its been made official, one of the two minnesota high schoolers has committed to Michigan Tech. Jacob Jackson, leading scorer for Tartan as a Junior with 24-19-43 in 25 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                  Your premise supposes only six defensemen can be ready. Does it apply to goaltenders, too, or can Jamie Phillips stop looking for a transfer?
                  Are you being serious redwing61? A transfer? Already? Where would he go?

My second thought...Petan continues to impress. He is going to be frontliner for the Huskies for the next 4 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Freezing In The Stands View Post
                    My second thought...Petan continues to impress. He is going to be frontliner for the Huskies for the next 4 yrs.
                    Probably more like two or three years, if he keeps progressing like this.

Comment

And the Week 2 THG Web Media Poll is up. Tech makes the biggest jump from 8th to 5th this week after their split with Minnesota.
                      http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...a-poll-week-2/
                      IMHO, this is where Tech should be. My guesstimate is you'll be top tier with home ice. If they stay consistent, it's Tech's shot to lose .

Comment

I guess 5-7 this year, top 3 in conference MINIMUM next year.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          I guess 5-7 this year, top 3 in conference MINIMUM next year.
                          thanks for the kind words, you dirty stinking lawn pests. In truth, if this thing hangs together (no big losses) I can see Tech making a run at the FF the year after next, when these kids are seniors and juniors, and making the same kind of run that Bemidji did a couple years ago with a similar style of fast skating, opportunistic play. Of course by then, being in the nWCHA won't hurt our chances of making that run.
                          We have good times to look forward to, and they start with a sweep in Denver this weekend.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            thanks for the kind words, you dirty stinking lawn pests. In truth, if this thing hangs together (no big losses) I can see Tech making a run at the FF the year after next, when these kids are seniors and juniors, and making the same kind of run that Bemidji did a couple years ago with a similar style of fast skating, opportunistic play. Of course by then, being in the nWCHA won't hurt our chances of making that run.
                            We have good times to look forward to, and they start with a sweep in Denver this weekend.
                            interesting. I'd say we can play with anyone right now. We have some things to fix, but overall we will make noise this year.

Shirtless, what can you tell us about this new recruit.?
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              interesting. I'd say we can play with anyone right now. We have some things to fix, but overall we will make noise this year.

Shirtless, what can you tell us about this new recruit.?
                              Well I'm only 4 articles behind on recruits...should have that up to date soon...hoping to have a piece on Dane Birks today. As for Jackson, he doesn't come from a program that as historically good as some of other Minnesota recruits Furne & Sova (Hill-Murray), Hyland (Woodbury), or Boeing (Shattuck) but the kid can score. He had 24 of Tartan's 76 goals on the season, next highest was 8 so was definitely the leader on the offensive end. He also had 8 PP and 4 SH goals...He put up good numbers in the elite league this year. I'd compare him well to Heinonen where he's not coming from a top 10-20 high school program but he's got great skills. Overall Jackson has played in a tougher conference and plays mostly AA schools unlike Delano did so the transition to USHL/College should be easier.

Comment

Well I'm only 4 articles behind on recruits...should have that up to date soon...hoping to have a piece on Dane Birks today. As for Jackson, he doesn't come from a program that as historically good as some of other Minnesota recruits Furne & Sova (Hill-Murray), Hyland (Woodbury), or Boeing (Shattuck) but the kid can score. He had 24 of Tartan's 76 goals on the season, next highest was 8 so was definitely the leader on the offensive end. He also had 8 PP and 4 SH goals...He put up good numbers in the elite league this year. I'd compare him well to Heinonen where he's not coming from a top 10-20 high school program but he's got great skills. Overall Jackson has played in a tougher conference and plays mostly AA schools unlike Delano did so the transition to USHL/College should be easier.
                                good to see that Heinonen has 8 pts. in 8 games after getting up to USHL speed toward the end of last season. This info is not on the TH Guide with the other recruit stats, though, and the USHL website is truly terrible.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X