Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

A big thanks to all the MTU fans for a fun weekend. Many of the rookie road trippers mentioned that they want to head back sometime for a random game if MN doesn't travel there again.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: '12-13 Michigan Tech Season Thread: Screw the Election, Let's Play Hockey!

I've gotta say the new white sweaters are sharp and the UP on the shoulder is an outstanding touch, but those classic golds are awesome. Nicely done MTU, a huge improvement!
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The Gophers announcers, the new guy who's name I don't know and Gorg, are very complimentary of Tech during this Friday game I DVR'd. The "fan question of the day" was "what other teams will be there at the end of the year, fighting with the Gophers for the WCHA championship", to which they responded "I think you're seeing one here tonight in the white sweaters". Apparently they didn't ask MarK Alt his opinion beforehand.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

(Still watching the Friday game on DVR)

It was probably lost in the well-deserved hype over the Petan goal, but wow, what a sweet no-look, behind-the-back pass by Kero on B. Pietila's goal at the end of the 2nd. It wasn't that long ago that it was a struggle for Tech to connect on any kind of pass.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Sorry, I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer. Why did McCadden leave Tech? I see he landed at SNC.
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

A couple more comments. The first game was well refereed. I thought a lot of things could have been called but weren't and it didn't affect the game. Saturday they were a lot stricter and we took the brunt of the penalties. So overall the refs were good. I saw two instances of missed calls by the linesmen, but that didn't affect the game.

Chd Pietila really impressed me, reminded me of Darwin Mott.

I had a nice long chat with the Tech video people during the tailgate saturday. Good info on our feed etc, looks like we will get a whole new studio as part of the new scoreboard. This will make the quality of our feed a lot better. Right now there's a switching unit that is the biggest problem. (Shirtless, was nice to meet you.)
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                Sorry, I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer. Why did McCadden leave Tech? I see he landed at SNC.
                Mel Pearson, back in May: "Personal reasons. He was not cut."

With the recruits we had coming in, I think he probably saw he wasn't going to get a lot of playing time if he stayed. He went from playing in all 38 games and posting 8 points in Russell's last year, to only 23 GP and 3 points in Pearson's first year (though a lot of that freshman playing time had to do with injuries). I don't think he was a fit for Pearson's system where every line is expected to skate and attack. Glad he landed with a good D3 team.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                  ....And MeanEgirl, thank you for selling me the winning ticket for the jersey raffle on Friday night.
                  Did the team find some additional jerseys in the storage room to raffle? I had heard they might raffle new blank jerseys as an alternative.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Did the team find some additional jerseys in the storage room to raffle? I had heard they might raffle new blank jerseys as an alternative.
                    Ryan J
                    Saturday was either a 35 anniversary GLI jersey or a new white depending on whether they sold all the tickets...don't know if they sold all the tickets.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I was also impressed with Eick. I had thought Mel was playing his recruits like Eick, because they were his guys and fit his system, but the freshmen Forwards look great and are earning their playing time.

Notes from Mel Pearson show:

They reviewed last weekend and the goals:
                      Blake Hietila did skate for warmups Saturday, can dress an extra guy for warumps, wanted to see if D Johnstone (sick) and J Johnstone were good to go after warmups
                      Great job on Petan goal, not often you see Mich Tech on Sports Center Top 10
                      PP goal for our 2nd goal, we got a little relaxed on PP, need to be more uptempo
                      Saw Eick's speed this weekend, several rushes down the ice for him to show his speed
                      Outshoot UMN 13-8 in 2nd period Friday
                      Good for Copley to get W, ws in a tough situation at LSSU team played okay in front of him, good game by him

Saturday: They stepped it up a notch, similar to us on Friday, UMN didn't score on some of their better chances, good job by Copley
                      C. Pietila's Sat goal, good patience and great close in to the goalie
                      Killed a lot of penalties in 2nd, got us out of good rotation on ice, takes a lot of energy
                      We were right there on Saturday, needed a bounce, good hard fought game, MN 0-5 on PP on the night
                      Can't ask our team to play any harder, they laid it all out there.
                      Attendance: 3400 on Friday 3887 on Saturday, they did a great job of showing up, can't thank them enough, gives us home ice advantage

They talked about a couple of the guys that haven't been playing, but I missed the first two.

On Likteig: He played in 1st game of season, great speed and can kill penalties, overall we have real good depth, our 4th line is pretty good, hard to take someone off that line

ON PP, wasn't a systems issues, just our intensity, didn't get many opportunities, currently we have diff people from each of our top 3 lines, so end up putting someone that's tired out there after PK, may change that up a bit

Is MN going to be the best team we see this year? Liekly be one of the top 3 teams we play, UND and Mich are the other two Mel has in mind.

Will MN fall in the polls? They'll be top 5, teams will lose, BC and Mich already have losses, they'll likely be top 3.

When will we know if Blake makes the World Juniors? There will be a camp, and then they make decisions early Dec. Blake has a good shot, they aren't looking for him to score like we do, but more of a checking shutdown forward on World Juniors.

How do you weigh good play on Friday vs. getting fresh legs when deciding who plays Saturday? Put a lot of stock on Friday night. We need to get a lot of our players used to playing back to back because can't travel with a ton of players. But fresh legs are considered when deciding who plays Saturday.

It seems we got beat on faceoffs, is that a concern? Friday night we got our clocks cleaned. Better on Saturday, we will be working on that.

UMN sat back in more of a defensive trap on Saturday late in 3rd and do you call that a trap? Kind of, a lot of players try to make something happen themselves, instead of working with each other to beat the defense.

Questions are always welcome at dj@themix93.com

On DU:
                      They won both games last weekend, they can score goals.

A little surprising, they lost 3 good scorers, but looking at last weekend they can score.

They have all three goaltenders back, most Dmen.

Joey Leleggia, really good, maybe best defensemen, we'll have to watch him
                      Nick Shore had 3 goals and an assist against Air Force
                      We need to play better without the puck, need to force the play and force them into mistakes
                      It's an NHL rink, elevation is only an excuse, have to play the game
                      Win and tie last year, plus a great game with them at Final Five last year
                      Expecting 2 hard fought games
                      Britain and Murray played, Finish goaltneder is suspended so far, they have best goaltending in the league
                      Need to get D. Johnstone and J. Johnstone going, 0 goals so far, not overly concerned, but may tweak lines to make our team better
                      How much video does Mel and team watch? Mel watches a lot of video, we pick 3-4 things we want to show the team, short videos, any video longer than 3 mins their minds start to drift

Always want to win 2 games, but very proud of our guys

Real big thank you to the fans, can't emphasize how important that is when we're at home, wants fans to keep coming out

Partial playback of the show is at 5:30ET on 920 AM

Comment

I was thinking of starting a series thread, but then realized that there isn't a single Denver fan that I care to have a conversation with, and I really have no respect for any of them, so it would have been pretty pointless.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Minnesota tumbles all the way to #2, Tech is still unranked. I love it. Really, I think it's great that the polls have this kind of momentum. Our guys have to earn a spot in that top 20 by sweeping a few teams.

Or to look at it another way, the only ranked team that has two losses already is UMD. They have momentum working in their favor as recent Nat'l champs. So let's not whine about the lack of respect.
                          Last edited by geezer; 10-22-2012, 11:56 AM.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            Minnesota tumbles all the way to #2, Tech is still unranked. I love it. Really, I think it's great that the polls have this kind of momentum. Our guys have to earn a spot in that top 20 by sweeping a few teams.

Or to look at it another way, the only ranked team that has two losses already is UMD. They have momentum working in their favor as recent Nat'l champs. So let's not whine about the lack of respect.
                            *****http://brandperiscope.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Referrals-no-respect.jpg******
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              Or his feet. He often looks tentative, much more so than our other freshmen.

Really didn't like Sova's play in either game this weekend. I wouldn't mind giving Davis a chance at his expense.
                              Sova played good Friday. he logged a ton of ice. If Davis was ready, he'd be playing. he's a healthy scratch for a reason.

I love what i saw from the team Friday. good speed and puck movement.
                              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                                If Davis was ready, he'd be playing. he's a healthy scratch for a reason.
                                Your premise supposes only six defensemen can be ready. Does it apply to goaltenders, too, or can Jamie Phillips stop looking for a transfer?

Comment

Working...
                                X