Ohio State vs North Dakota 10/12 - 10/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs North Dakota 10/12 - 10/13

I was out of town this past weekend and forgot to start a thread for the UMD series before leaving for upstate NY. This weekend it doesn't get any easier as the Buckeyes host North Dakota. We all know about the Lamoreux twins and Michelle Karvinen. Maybe some North Dakota fans can fill us in on some of the other players and what we can expect to see this weekend. I think both teams would love to get a sweep, but I just do not see that happening. I was pleasantly surprised with last weekend's sweep at UMD and am sure our team will continue to work hard and challenge our opponents every night out. I am looking forward to getting to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend!

Re: Ohio State vs North Dakota 10/12 - 10/13

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I was out of town this past weekend and forgot to start a thread for the UMD series before leaving for upstate NY. This weekend it doesn't get any easier as the Buckeyes host North Dakota. We all know about the Lamoreux twins and Michelle Karvinen. Maybe some North Dakota fans can fill us in on some of the other players and what we can expect to see this weekend. I think both teams would love to get a sweep, but I just do not see that happening. I was pleasantly surprised with last weekend's sweep at UMD and am sure our team will continue to work hard and challenge our opponents every night out. I am looking forward to getting to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend!
    Not sure Karvinen will be suited up. I think they missed her last weekend. Idalski mentioned she would be reevaluated this week per injury, in his comments following their series with the Mavericks. I read that secondhand.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Not relevant to Hockey, but with the NHL lockout, TSN (Canuck version of ESPN) must be getting bored to fill air space. They had this gem from OHIO State:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzzbrFgcUw

Ed Note: Normally during NHL season, TSN pays little to no attention to College Football until the Bowl season.

Comment

That video has exploded the past few days ... 6.7 million hits. That game vs Nebraska drew a record crowd, too ... 106,102.

Comment

New Marching Band Director this year; he's off to an excellent start. I was at the stadium Saturday night, and the in-house crowd was just as excited by the Halftime show as the YouTube audience. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Not sure Karvinen will be suited up. I think they missed her last weekend. Idalski mentioned she would be reevaluated this week per injury, in his comments following their series with the Mavericks. I read that secondhand.
            Any changes on D or in Goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Fever View Post
              Any changes on D or in Goal?
              I have no idea really. The only change I could wildly guess at is putting Mo back on D. Not sure Idalski would make that move...perhaps if Karvinen is back.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Curious…to why one would inquire or suggest this? It appeared as if ND out played the Mavericks for a majority of the two game series. The goalie and D played very well except for the last 10 minutes of period three of game one (I would contend that the whole team seemed gassed during this stretch). In no way am I signifying any excuses here (give props to Mankato for smelling blood and taking advantage) but the minor collapse in game one of the season could be attributed to one or all of the following conditions, inexperience players (very young team) playing their first game of the season against a team coming off a intense opening series against Wisconsin, and/or taking too many penalties. I would like to see a couple more series before suggesting a change up.

Comment

Ohio State took game one of this weekend series 5-3. Senior Paige Semenza had a hat trick for the Buckeyes. The other goals were scored by senior Tina Hollowell and freshman Julia McKinnon. The Bucks had a 4-0 lead at the second intermission, but give North Dakota credit as they fought back to make it 4-3 late in the game before Paige Semenza buried an empty netter to seal it. Tomorrow's game should be interesting.

Comment

The Unofficial 3 Stars are now up on the WCHA thread. Good preview by osualum86!

Comment

Pgb, thanks for the alert! Going to head over to the WCHA thread and read it now!

Comment

The Unofficial 3 Stars for Saturday's Game are now up on the WCHA thread.

As a Buckeye I'm a little wounded by tonight's result, but still standing tall -- and very proud of the players and coaches! I have to admit, had I been offered a 5-1 start a month ago, I would have happily accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          The Unofficial 3 Stars for Saturday's Game are now up on the WCHA thread.

As a Buckeye I'm a little wounded by tonight's result, but still standing tall -- and very proud of the players and coaches! I have to admit, had I been offered a 5-1 start a month ago, I would have happily accepted.
                          I am fine with the 5-1 start provided they build on splitting a series with the #6 team in the country. It will be interesting to see if we move up in the polls after this weekend. I don't see how we drop after splitting with a team ranked higher than us.

Comment

League standings, and eventually the pairwise, are much more important than the polls. But your points are well taken.

First, there's no way the Buckeyes should be "penalized" for this weekend's results. Both games were played at a very high level; the split was an equitable result. In the end, each team won the game they deserved to win. And even with that said, the Buckeyes were a couple of bounces away from a sweep. Given the credentials of this year's North Dakota team, those results should be a selling point, not a chink in our armor.

Second, with UMD sweeping Wisconsin, our wins in Duluth look even better. Now polls can be more than a little capricious. I could imagine UMD leapfrogging us based on their Wisconsin wins, never mind their OSU losses. Obviously the hope is that we dodge any such short term injustice. But if the Buckeyes continue to play the way they have for the first three weekends, I've gotta believe the national recognition will be there as the season goes on.

Which leads, of course, to your core point. Our start has exceeded expectations. But the way to make that start meaningful is to continue to build on it, and not be satisfied with a couple of nice weekends.

The early returns suggest that there's going to be more parity in the league this year than ever before. That's both a blessing and a curse. On the plus side, finishing in the top 4 in the regular season standings, and positioning ourselves for an NCAA bid now look like reasonable goals. The door appears to be more open than the cautious among us would have dared believe. On down side, most of the league probably shares that mindset, and reasonably so. The teams that have recently been on top will be frantic to hold on to their status. All of the rest of us will be hungry to move up. Some of that drama already played out this weekend at the Ice Rink. Had UND been swept, they would have started the league season at 1-3. They were desperate to avoid that, and it showed. To get to where we want to go, we'll have to match that type desperation with an even greater hunger to win.

Bottom line? The league race is shaping up to be both a sprint and marathon. It's urgent to get every possible point in the standings. Take a weekend off in November and you could pay for it very dearly next March.

Fasten your seat belts; 2012-13 looks like it's going to be quite a ride.
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Pgb, I couldn't have said it any better. Maybe this will be the year we break through and get to the NCAA Tournament!

Comment

Working...
                              X