This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St Lawrence Hockey

I have to agree with Critsports from what we listened to on the radio last night. Seems like we started to build a hefty lead and then fell asleep. The way our defense and goal tending has been it is tough to give away a 3-0 lead. The hardest thing for your opponent to do should be score. The **** Meehan Rink has been our achillies tendon for years. The announcers on the radio (who I must say did a great job being very non-biased in calling the game, especially compared to the coverage by the Western Michigan Radio analyst.) said that it has now been 21 straight years that Brown has taken at least 1 of the four points against us. Good to see Flanagan and Carey continue to build points. Not sure how Weninger is going to fair after allowing 3 goals, but hopefully he will remain in the top 5. He did stand on his head a few times to make sure that we didn't lose that game. He also was very confident in OT when he approached the official right after the goal that it was going to be disallowed because of goalie interference. I am looking forward to seeing the team tonight vs Yale. It is probably going to be a blood bath since Yale lost to Clarkson last night 1-0. I believe that was Clarkson’s first win of the year. Hopefully we will see a fired up SLU team that puts it to the Bulldogs!

Go Saints Go, SLU SLU SLU

Comment

Mike - thanks for the report on last night. I was at a local school's D III game and checked the score between periods ( as this is Vt - I had to go outside to find a connection ) SLU up 3-0. I thought 'This one's in the bag' Couldn't believe the final. Hope you make it to the Whale, Yale should come out strong with their loss to Clarkson. I don't think I be able to get to a game until Placid in Dec. Take care, Steve

Comment

Watching via B2 I went to bed thinking we had lost
        Obviously I clicked off prematurely
        Pleasant surprise to see we escaped w/ a point
        SLU65

Comment

It will never matter how many goals we are ahead down at the Morgue, no lead is safe for us there. Could be up 8-0 going into the third and I would be nervous. Apparently Brown is our kryptonite.

However, a win tonight would make for a successful weekend IMO. Recipe for success in this league is split on the road, sweep at home, get the bye.

Comment

Based on 30 year's of SLU playing at Meehan, I think a new strategy is called for.

Brown at Brown should always be treated as an exhibition game. We should suit up our freshmen, shake up the lines and give our backup goalie some game playing experience. We never win down there anyway. We might as well get something out of the trip.
            St. Lawrence University
            World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Plus, we should wear the brown helmets.

Comment

St. Lawrence fans, you can watch tonight's game streamed free on Yale All-Access beginning around 6:50 PM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXJmGyhnsaU

Comment

Well a tough road weekend for the Saints. Welcome to the ECAC. As Cornelll found out this weekend winning on the road is pretty tough as is winning at home in this league.
                  Tonight was a tough one. We played really well for long stretches but the talent level of Ylae is superior to Brown and when we did have some lapses Ylae was there to capitalize.
                  We played really well out of the gate and dominated early. Malcolm kept us off the board and we had a decided edge until the last third of the period when Ylae got some momentum and scored. The second period Ylae exerted their dominance and out shot us pretty handily however the boys never quit and we played a better third. Penalties hurt us as whenever we got some momentum we went into the box.
                  Our PP tonight left a lot to be desired. While we moved the puck well at times.....we didn't get a lot of quality shots or shots didn't get through. We had a couple of PP's where we had NOTHING going on at all.
                  Essery's short handed goal gave us some life but for some reason I didn't ever get the feeling that this was a game we were going to win. I think Ylae was pretty pumped up after losing to Clarkson and although they got off to a slow start tonight.....they played very well as a team.

On the positive we do have the ability to put pressure on and dominate for stretches of the game. However we give up a lot of quality chances on the other end and Wenny can only do so much. If I could see one thing going forward I'd like to see us cut down on the other teams odd man rushes and quality scoring chances. We give up too many and tonight it cost us.

Steve..........Tim and I plan on going to Lake Placid. Hope to see you there.

Next week will be a tough one. Although we are home.....both Princeton and Quinny are coming off big weekends which they both won two games so they will have a lot of momentum that we will need to counter. Hope next weekend is a better one.
                  SLU

Comment

Well, I agree with Mike that we did come out of the gate and apply a lot of pressure. We controlled to tempo, tried to create, but never quite cracked Malcolm in the first 12-15 minutes. After that, the only other time we applied any pressure was after our first goal. I felt like we were back on our heels most of the night. The Yale fore-check and back-check prevented us from breaking the puck out quickly and smoothly. We never seemed to be able to headman the puck. Our passes were either behind our own player, forward to a player who wasn't skating, and a few times directly to the Yale player. There seemed to be a major lack of chemistry and we certainly didn't seem to skate hard. How our Defense could just let an opponent come right down the slot while backing into the goalie and not stepping to the puck is beyond me. In the past I felt like we have always had teams that can out skate opponents (win or lose), but last night certainly wasn't the case. I didn't feel that Yale was a superior team, they were just hungrier than us and wanted it more. They worked harder when they gave up the puck and battled in the corners. Malcolm made some saves, but nothing flashy, because we never truly tested him. He made all the saves that a goalie is suppose to make.
                    One the plus side, Weninger despite giving up 4 goals stood on his head to keep us in that game. He made some GREAT saves and worked hard all night. Essery and Thompson both put the puck in the net. I like what I see from Thompson, he plays with a lot of heart and is not afraid to get in the mix or defend a teammate. When Yale was cross checking from behind, Thompson got right in the face of the player to back his teammate.
                    Well, I went over hoping to see a top 15 SLU team and that wasn't the case. A little disappointing to say the least, but we do have some youth and some fire on the roster. It is up to the Seniors to step up and fire the Saints up and make sure we don't lose. A lot of season left, they just need to learn and grow from this past weekend.
                    Mike, it was great seeing you and hope to see you in Lake Placid.

Comment

Surprised we hung in there in the D-1 rankings after a loss and a tie. I would have thought Quinny would have jumped more after handling Cornell and Colgate. This weekend is obviously an important one, albeit early in the season. I think it is a "statement" weekend to find out if we are contenders or pretenders. Hope the boys prove it is the former and not the latter!!!!
                      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        I would have thought Quinny would have jumped more after handling Cornell and Colgate.
                        That loss to AIC is gonna sting for a long time!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I'll take two extra-large helpings of reality, please.

Next weekend is gonna be tough too.

Comment

I didnt see a recruiting thread for St. Lawrence so I thought I would post here. Gavin Bayreuther is as gifted offensively for a defenseman as I have seen in Cedar Rapids (USHL). Elite skater, great point shot, and leads the breakout very very well. If he can sure up some defensive positioning he is going to be a great college player. He was scheduled to go to St Lawrence in 2014 but I have heard it will be accelerated to next year.

Comment

Sounds like I will definitely be at Friday's game, then toss up for the silly 4pm start Saturday. Depends on weather in the woods and whether I feel like going back out to the woods early enough so I can get over there in time.

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                                I didnt see a recruiting thread for St. Lawrence so I thought I would post here. Gavin Bayreuther is as gifted offensively for a defenseman as I have seen in Cedar Rapids (USHL). Elite skater, great point shot, and leads the breakout very very well. If he can sure up some defensive positioning he is going to be a great college player. He was scheduled to go to St Lawrence in 2014 but I have heard it will be accelerated to next year.
                                Thanks for the scoop.
                                SLU

Comment

Working...
                                X