X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St Lawrence Hockey

Originally posted by critsports View Post
    Interesting day of trades and signings in the NHL for certain. Never in my lifetime have I seen a day like that. Every minute another signing or blockbuster. Have very mixed reactions about the Bruins. Peverley at his best did so much for that team. Penalty kill, face offs, occasional PP time, one of the fastest skaters on the team. Seems like between the cap hit and one off year they gave up on him. Of course......giving up on Seguin is a bit more of a stunner. As immature as Seguin was...there is still a ton of upside and I do think he will flourish in Dallas. I keep thinking about the Joe Thornton trade.......he has been productive for so many years and the B's are left with nothing from that deal (that I can remember.)
    I am still bitter about Pevs heading to Dallas. His salary was earned by his performance two years ago and the dip**** Harvard GM in Boston was unable to plan for the salary cap dropping and has to have a fire sale. He blew away the entire right side of the forwards. No way I give up Pevs over Chris Kelly who has the same salary. Pevs is so much more versatile, fast, and has finish. It seems that Dallas asked for him and that he was packaged with Seguin. Giving up on Seguin was brainless. Absolutely stunning stupidity. He was the leading scorer for the B's as a 20 year old in 2011-2012. I also can't grasp letting go of Andrew Ference who signed for the same $3.25 Million that Pevs, Kelly, Campbell are all making. Then you sign an aging power forward in Iginla. Very few power forwards make a dent past their prime. Iginla is a great player, but I'd rather have the young legs and talent of Sequin. We'll see, but I am bitter. What made Boston so good was their team chemistry and Chiarelli just screwed that up. It is Thornton all over and that was one of the worst one-sided trades of all time.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      I am still bitter about Pevs heading to Dallas. His salary was earned by his performance two years ago and the dip**** Harvard GM in Boston was unable to plan for the salary cap dropping and has to have a fire sale. He blew away the entire right side of the forwards. No way I give up Pevs over Chris Kelly who has the same salary. Pevs is so much more versatile, fast, and has finish. It seems that Dallas asked for him and that he was packaged with Seguin. Giving up on Seguin was brainless. Absolutely stunning stupidity. He was the leading scorer for the B's as a 20 year old in 2011-2012. I also can't grasp letting go of Andrew Ference who signed for the same $3.25 Million that Pevs, Kelly, Campbell are all making. Then you sign an aging power forward in Iginla. Very few power forwards make a dent past their prime. Iginla is a great player, but I'd rather have the young legs and talent of Sequin. We'll see, but I am bitter. What made Boston so good was their team chemistry and Chiarelli just screwed that up. It is Thornton all over and that was one of the worst one-sided trades of all time.
      Got 6, this is a bit biased, no?

I like Pevs, but I think we can all agree that he did not do much come playoff time this year which for a Bruin team that is built to win now with the aging Chara, that made Pevs expendable.

As for Seguin, he was expendable because he did not fit the culture of the Bruins. He was a periphery player that shied away from the 2-way game. He has lots of talent, but at $6M per, I'm not sure that salary is smart money given the return from a points and +/- perspective.

Ference was a great player and leader, but with the young (and cheap D in Krug, etc) he became the odd man out. Best to put that $3.25M into re-signing Bergeron and Rask.

Iginla is pricey, but he's a 1 year rental. No long term issues that you potentially have with Seguin who will prove to be a "bust" if his current trajectory doesn't change significantly.

As for Thornton, he was 0 for the playoffs. Nuff said!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        Got 6, this is a bit biased, no?

I like Pevs, but I think we can all agree that he did not do much come playoff time this year which for a Bruin team that is built to win now with the aging Chara, that made Pevs expendable.

As for Seguin, he was expendable because he did not fit the culture of the Bruins. He was a periphery player that shied away from the 2-way game. He has lots of talent, but at $6M per, I'm not sure that salary is smart money given the return from a points and +/- perspective.

Ference was a great player and leader, but with the young (and cheap D in Krug, etc) he became the odd man out. Best to put that $3.25M into re-signing Bergeron and Rask.

Iginla is pricey, but he's a 1 year rental. No long term issues that you potentially have with Seguin who will prove to be a "bust" if his current trajectory doesn't change significantly.

As for Thornton, he was 0 for the playoffs. Nuff said!
        Whether the moves pay off or don't, Chiarelli was bold and will either reap the rewards or deserve to be fired. No, I don't think it is biased. Peverley was one of the most versatile Bruin forwards playing on the PP, PK and even strength. In 2011, he didn't disappear in the playoffs as Kelly did both years, he stepped into Horton's roll and was clutch. Half the lineup disappeared this year....Kelly, Jagr, and the little ball of hate had fewer goals in the finals than Peverley did. I don't think it was a priority to move him and there were other players I would have moved first.

Iginla doesn't want this to be a one year deal. For now it is, but it's clear there have been talks.

That argument that Thornton doesn't have a ring is ridiculous...he is as good as any forward the Bruins have and, at any rate, that bonehead move is not on PC. I absolutely disagree with you about Seguin. PC drafted him and you don't ship him off after giving him such a big contract. The vast majority of 20-21 YO hockey players are partying it up in college or juniors. There are guys on the Bruins that are devastated by the trade of Seguin and, ultimately, I predict this will be one of the worst trades of the year. Seguin has been the leading scorer for a team and still has upside. Erickson is not as good and that's the bottom line. Very few experts regard this as a good trade, and I certainly don't. If he didn't fit in the culture, Cam and PC shouldn't have drafted him.

Compared to what the GM's in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Toronto have done, PC has been outclassed. After Iginla's season in Calgary and Pittsburgh I am skeptical he is the answer. As for Bergeron getting a raise...sure, he earned it. Rask is one of the best in the game but I completely disagree with giving him so much money. If he gets hurt, the Bruins are toast.

Why gut a team that was a triple OT goal away from a 3-0 lead in the SCF's? It makes no sense. Yeah, Horton went on his own and that's just weird. I keep a guy like Ference because he is a leader, a fighter and at $3.25M he is a guy I'd keep.

The Dallas GM made it clear he wanted Peverly and Seguin as their one and two centers. I stand by my thoughts that Peverley is I'd keep over 2-3 other guys with the same impact on the cap. You can't replace speed, hockey sense and versatility which CJ said was a key to the Bruin's success in 2011 playoffs. That's another factor for Seguin, he is a center and the B's used him as a wing. I predict he will light it up in Dallas and the B's were foolish to let him go without getting more in trade. Time will tell. I hope you are right and I am wrong, but I don't think so.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Always fun to "discuss" the NHL moves, especially when the trade hurts a division rival of the Leafs (the greatest sports team in the history of the world). I really don't think, though, that Peverley completely fit in with the Bruin style of keeping it close, wearing teams down with Lucic & co--and then winning in the 3rd. On a different note, now that I'm in lovely downtown Greece, I get to see the two RIT games this fall--anybody got any info on what the team members have been up to? Is Carey the Younger ready to star with his bro? I can't wait for both the NHL and SLU to get going!

Comment

I kind of understood why Peverly got traded when it happened, although I didn't like the move. The one thing I'm really sure of is that Boston's PK will be worse next year. And they lost their fastest skater, and they lost a center, which Julien seems to value pretty highly. (And of course by trading Seguin they actually lost two.) Patrice Bergeron is my favorite NHL player, but he has a TON of pressure on him now, and he is one dirty hit or one fluke play away from the end of his career.

Here's what bothers me even more: as soon as the playoffs ended, Chiarelli made it clear to anybody who would listen that his #1 priority was signing Horton, and that he needed to free up cap space to make that happen. He said he was going to let Ference go (another move I didn't like, but could understand given the Horton thing and all the young defensemen who blossomed at the end of the season), and everyone figured Peverly's days might be numbered as well. Horton knew perfectly well that the Bruins were going to give up really good players just to bring him back, and he didn't say anything to anybody, even though he had no intention of re-signing. Then Ference - who has kids in school and really wanted to stay - gets shipped out, and Horton bolts. What an *******.

Comment

Thinking about doing a road trip to Canton for the weekend that Northeastern plays 2 at St. Lawrence (10/25 & 10/26). Anybody have suggestions on where to stay, or where not to stay
              Last edited by Happy Husky Victory!; 08-19-2013, 10:43 AM.
              Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Best Western (where the team will stay) or the Comfort Suites both fine hotels...that's about it.
                Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

• http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....rd-lake-placid

A little on Greg Carey and SLU
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
                    Best Western (where the team will stay) or the Comfort Suites both fine hotels...that's about it.
                    These might also help: http://www.stlawu.edu/regional-accommodations and http://www.stlawu.edu/restaurants

Hope you can make it to the games.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Saw Jaime Baker post on twitter that Doug Murray ('90) passed away today or last night I guess.

Comment

Hey St. Lawrence fans, visiting for the series against Northeastern in October. Couple of questions: 1. What end does the visiting team shoot at twice and what would be the best section to sit in as a visiting fan. 2. It looks like the wooden bench seating goes about 8 rows up or so, is it best to sit higher to see over the glass? Is there anything else that someone who has never been up there before should know??

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
                        Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

The Saints Rookie Group is now listed on SLU's new web-cite---Looks like a top notch bunch of players .Lets hope for the best
                          brashersaintsfan

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                            Hey St. Lawrence fans, visiting for the series against Northeastern in October. Couple of questions: 1. What end does the visiting team shoot at twice and what would be the best section to sit in as a visiting fan. 2. It looks like the wooden bench seating goes about 8 rows up or so, is it best to sit higher to see over the glass? Is there anything else that someone who has never been up there before should know??

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
                            While I cannot give you section letters (I'm good, but not that good ), I'll see if I can give you some info.

The visitors bench is the one across from the penalty boxes. The designated visitor section is the one directly behind that bench, however it is next to the SLU student section, and they have been known to stand the entire game (the student section will be to the left of the visiting goalie, and runs from the defending blue line to the corner.)

The visiting team will attack the main entrance end twice.

I've always (well, for past 15-20 years when my Dad started bringing me to games) been getting general admission tickets and standing on the rail behind the student section, just inside the blue line. Only area that can be tough to see clearly from there is the far near-side corner, from about the scorekeeper box to the goal line. General admission tickets should go on sale about an hour before game time, and are somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-9 if I remember right. Reserved seating is slightly higher, but still very affordable. GA tickets are good for standing room all around the rink, and I believe a handful of sections of seating as well.

I would probably suggest sitting somewhere higher of you choose to get reserved seating. Otherwise, player benches can obstruct your view further. Something around row 5 should get you high enough. As for where? Entirely up to what your preferences are. There isn't much seating behind the visiting goalie end, but the other end has a decent amount if that is a view you like. Otherwise, anything between the end zone faceoff dots should give you a good view of 95% of the rink.

Appleton is a fantastic old barn, much like what I have read about Matthews. Hope you have an enjoyable time coming up for the series (although I hope it's with +2 in the L column ). Feel free to kick back any other questions, our small, but good group of posters on here are usually pretty quiet until closer to the season, but I'm sure somebody will be happy to give you help if they can.

Comment

If you like old hockey barns, you will love Appleton. Although all the internal guts of the place have been renovated and replaced over the years, the place looks exactly as it did in 1971 when I made my first visit. For a hockey purist, there is no place better. Unlike every other ECAC and Hockey East school, SLU allocates some of the best seats in the house to the visitors. Most schools stick the alumni and parents in a dark corner where SLU puts the visitors between the red line and blue line. It is a wonderful place to watch a game. The fans are enthusiastic but at the same time very civilized. There are very few bad spots to watch a game at Appleton. I would be remiss if I did not mention the fantastic job that morphed the old Boston Arena into Mathews Arena. From the days of the rats in the locker rooms in the late 60s and 70s, to what it is today, is fabulous. It should be a great hockey weekend. Enjoy Canton!

Comment

Can anyone tell me, based on the seating chart I found on the St. Lawrence athletics website, which section (by letter) is the visitors section, the SLU student section, ect?

https://www.vendini.com/ticket-softw...556318f7&t=tix

Comment

Working...
                                X