X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St Lawrence Hockey

Originally posted by critsports View Post
    Ditto both comments.......a very nice way for the seniors to end their careers at Appleton. Boy has Flanny been one special player. I always had the feeling when the puck was on his stick that something special was about to happen. 100 assists is unbelievable. And let's not forget the special player and accomplishment George Hughe's had made. He put his name in the Saints record book as well among some very talented defensemen.

A match up at Ylae would be convenient for me but either way the competition ratchets up next weekend.

Way to go Saints and congrats to the Seniors for a special night at Appleton.
    A match up at Union would be convenient for me, but either way works. Nice work by the Saints this weekend..........it's hard to believe that Flanagan put up 4 points only 1.5 weeks after surgery. He is an incredible player. I hope that Austin and Stratford are OK and will be good to go next weekend.

Congrats. to the Women on a great season. Cornell did not score their 3rd goal until there was less than 2 minutes left. Thanks to the seniors for their many contributions.

Lastly, best of luck to Colgate..........a very young team that is only going to get better.
    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Great game SLU, Kyle Flannagan - WOW!

Comment

Excellent game and excellent weekend for the Saints!!! Interested whether everyone on here would rather face Union or Ylae next weekend? ... I keep going back and forth on that one ... As has been stated before, if Dartmouth wins tomorrow we get Ylae. If Harvard wins tomorrow, we get Union ... Obviously, either one of the two will be on the road. What does everyone think?
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
          Excellent game and excellent weekend for the Saints!!! Interested whether everyone on here would rather face Union or Ylae next weekend? ... I keep going back and forth on that one ... As has been stated before, if Dartmouth wins tomorrow we get Ylae. If Harvard wins tomorrow, we get Union ... Obviously, either one of the two will be on the road. What does everyone think?
          Personally, I would slightly rather face Ylae. I always thought we match up well and it would give us a better chance. Union has been on their game at home lately, and if they get their shutdown defense going, it gives us fits.

Either way, we have to come out guns blazing and bring it. From the sounds of it, we looked real good this weekend, hopefully they keep it going.

Comment

Just read on WDT that Riley Austin is likely out for the season with a knee injury. Well, down to 6 defensemen if Stratford slides into his spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              Just read on WDT that Riley Austin is likely out for the season with a knee injury. Well, down to 6 defensemen if Stratford slides into his spot.
              I have it from a good source that Stratford is likely done. Third time he has separated that shoulder. If true, D will be hurting next weekend.
              St. Lawrence University
              World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                I have it from a good source that Stratford is likely done. Third time he has separated that shoulder. If true, D will be hurting next weekend.
                Yikes. Sounds like Dyer will have to move back to D then, and the walk on senior Franz will have to get plugged in on the 4th line? I don't think we have any other bodies.

Comment

Was at the game. Officiating was horrible. Austin's injury was the result of a blatant mugging, one of several the refs failed to call. Major scare when Baker went off with what looked like an arm injury-fortunately, he returned after missing maybe one shift. First string was awesome-11 of the 12 points came from them. Baker's first goal was a work of art (and possibly a "try to hurt me and see what you get" payback), with Carey's not far behind. Both were executed exactly as the coach would draw them out.

I agree that I'd prefer to face Yale. I think Union gets into our heads.

Poignant moments-Kyle, George, Jordan, Matt, Mac, and David played their last minutes at Appleton-thanks for the memories and the victory last night. Way to go out the winners you've always been!

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                    Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                    Yikes. Sounds like Dyer will have to move back to D then, and the walk on senior Franz will have to get plugged in on the 4th line? I don't think we have any other bodies.
                    Yeah, the D was already hurting - they've been shorthanded since Armstrong left - and really the whole team is. Even counting Franz, SLU is carrying 23 players right now, with most other teams carrying 26-28. Losing Stratford and Austin takes that number down to 21. We've got exactly 6 defensemen, but one of them has been filling a hole up front.

What are you gonna do, though? Just gotta win with the guys who are here. I thought McMullen looked pretty good when we saw him at Dartmouth, and really, the offense has been coming from the top one or two lines anyway. Everybody has to stay healthy and eat their Wheaties!!!

Comment

Personally, I would slightly rather face Ylae. I always thought we match up well and it would give us a better chance. Union has been on their game at home lately, and if they get their shutdown defense going, it gives us fits.

Either way, we have to come out guns blazing and bring it. From the sounds of it, we looked real good this weekend, hopefully they keep it going.
                      We looked fantastic this weekend that's for sure. My initial thoughts were Ylae, but they did sweep us this season. If we continue to play like we did this weekend we should give them a hard time. The PP was back again this weekend, we scored three on the man up last night. We looked sharp, crisp passes, good movement and hard/accurate shots on goal. We couldn't have asked for more. Let's hope we keep it rolling this coming weekend no matter who we face.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                        We looked fantastic this weekend that's for sure. My initial thoughts were Ylae, but they did sweep us this season. If we continue to play like we did this weekend we should give them a hard time. The PP was back again this weekend, we scored three on the man up last night. We looked sharp, crisp passes, good movement and hard/accurate shots on goal. We couldn't have asked for more. Let's hope we keep it rolling this coming weekend no matter who we face.
                        Congrats to the Saints on a great showing in Round 1. Having seen the Colgate squad in person LAST weekend, I know they are a talented, albeit young, team and beating them convincingly on consecutive nights is no mean feat. All of that said, I will be rooting for Dartmouth tonight (well, this afternoon for me). I think we match up better against SLU than we do against Brown. SLU plays a much cleaner, "finesse" game, while Brown is a more physical, and at times, borderline "dirty" team. Furthermore, in a moment of complete candor, I will admit that SHOULD Yale lose in the next round, I would MUCH rather have it be to SLU than to (G*d forbid) Brown. The reasons there are two-fold: 1. my admiration of, and respect for, Coach Marsh and 2. the fact that I got to spend some quality time with the Hughes family at the Frozen Four in Tampa last April. They are a great family and Aleca (Yale's Womens' Hockey Captain Emeritus, and 2012 Hockey Humanitarian Honoree ) and her two brothers come by their hockey talents honestly, as George III (Dad) is #6 on Harvard's all-time scoring list, and Allison is a former BU Womens' Captain. Should Yale and SLU meet, I predict a 3-game series. Finally, it's GO BIG GREEN, because I LOVE the idea of Quinnipiac having to play Cornell, and RPI having to play Brown. Should be interesting, to say the least !!!

Comment

Congratulations to the Saints on a well played weekend. Good luck the rest of the way!!!

Comment

If we have indeed lost Austin and Stratford, nobody is going to feel sorry for us, and that's the hand that the boys are dealt. Hopefully they can find a way to get it done and we can make some noise.

I think its also important to note that while we did get swept by ylae, both games were 2 goal games, 1 including an ENG. The first loss was just after the hot start we had, while the second sparked our 2nd half run.

If we play like we have been, I think we can play with, and beat, anybody in the league best of 3. Time to buckle down and get it done!

Comment

If we have indeed lost Austin and Stratford, nobody is going to feel sorry for us, and that's the hand that the boys are dealt. Hopefully they can find a way to get it done and we can make some noise.

I think its also important to note that while we did get swept by ylae, both games were 2 goal games, 1 including an ENG. The first loss was just after the hot start we had, while the second sparked our 2nd half run.

If we play like we have been, I think we can play with, and beat, anybody in the league best of 3. Time to buckle down and get it done!
                              I agree with the above stated. I tend to agree that we match up better with Ylae and really we always have in years past with there style of play. That being said, we need to come out hard next weekend regardless of the opponent. Hopefully we can keep this PP efficiency going as well. Obviously Kyle plays a big part in that as was shown this weekend. Wenny is the big difference as well. If he shows up and we continue the way we have been playing, we should be fine!!!

Comment

Well said, HP1015. I agree with the general proposition that SLU's "A-Game" can, on any given night, beat any ECAC team. The same, however, can be said of 3 or 4 others among the remaining other 8. BTW, I have Flanagan, (S)carey, and George IV ALL on my ECAC 1st team, so on any night that Weninger "stands on his head", the other team is in BIG TROUBLE !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X