UVM @ Lowell - This Could Get Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVM @ Lowell - This Could Get Ugly

Season kicks off on Friday. Might want to put the National Guard on notice, this could turn ugly real quick.

Re: UVM @ Lowell - This Could Get Ugly

Hopefully the only fireworks we see, aren't after the game...
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Any UVM fans want to comment? I know they had a pretty good result in their exhibition game. Who should we expect to see in goal? Any of you coming down to Lowell?
      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Thinking this will be an easy rout for Lowell is a quick way to lose this one. While we looked good in spots Saturday, and while we won't see the same players because of the usual (smaller) roster size, there is no reason to be over-confident. Its clear we've got the similar type of make-up and personell that got us to 2nd place and an NCAA tourney trip. On the other hand, we took a few dumb penalties and weren't exactly crisp.

Hopefully the week has been productive.

---

As heralded as Synitsyn is, I'd like to see him have a chance to fire on net... but I think its just a matter of time. I was surprised not to see him on the PP, but it does look like he needs some time to re-adjust to game-play and Houk looked pretty good... so maybe it'll be awhile until we see him out there... half a season or so.

----

UVM will be looking to prove themselves. Just play smart and create breakdowns.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Thinking this will be an easy rout for Lowell is a quick way to lose this one.
          I agree. Let's not get too over confident that every game will be an easy one. This is the league opener for both teams
          and everybody will be ready for it.
          What did you say?
          Who own the Chiefs?
          What did he say?
          Owns! Owns!

Comment

This match up scares the crap out of me for two reasons:
            - Vermont wants to come out and make a statement (sort of like MC against Union last weekend). Last year was awful for UVM, and all of us know that feeling. Last year, Lowell came out to sweep Minnesota State to give Bazin his first two wins. UVM will be ready to make a splash, and what better way then against a projected top tier team.
            - Lowell does not take this game too lightly. While I am sure that Bazin will have them ready, I am not used to us having a bulls-eye on our back.

Man - so much easier walking into a season with zero expectations... man was last year fun!
            "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
            make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Lowell has had a tradition of playing up or down to their opponents, depending obviously on who they're playing. Now, to be fair, that was mostly noticeable under the last regime. Let's see how Bazin gets them to react.
              Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                Lowell has had a tradition of playing up or down to their opponents, depending obviously on who they're playing. Now, to be fair, that was mostly noticeable under the last regime. Let's see how Bazin gets them to react.
                I think Bazin has a better handle on things. I trust he will have them mentally ready. So long as they believe that they are given nothing then they'll work hard.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Thinking this will be an easy rout for Lowell is a quick way to lose this one. While we looked good in spots Saturday, and while we won't see the same players because of the usual (smaller) roster size, there is no reason to be over-confident. Its clear we've got the similar type of make-up and personell that got us to 2nd place and an NCAA tourney trip. On the other hand, we took a few dumb penalties and weren't exactly crisp.

---

As heralded as Synitsyn is, I'd like to see him have a chance to fire on net... but I think its just a matter of time. I was surprised not to see him on the PP, but it does look like he needs some time to re-adjust to game-play and Houk looked pretty good... so maybe it'll be awhile until we see him out there... half a season or so.

----

I agree. Hockey East is a little bit tighter this year from 2-10 and its no like Lowell dominated UVM last year. I look for this game to be a tight one with an edge in the nets to Lowell. UVM is ALOT better than people think. I certainly appreciate the over confidence though. Green Bay is a great team on paper...lets find out on the field.

Comment

---

----

Houk needs to play smarter. Three or four penalties in the exh game didn't thrill me.
                    Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Holding off on opinions of the Cats until we see them play a few games, cant take too much from the Ex game as
                      the other team didnt play as hard as any HE team does. Did like some of what I saw from the Freshman forwards
                      while the goalies had too little to do to get any kind of look.

Would expect this game to be close at least till late 2nd period and if Vermont is close we will see if this team really
                      is in better shape than last year.

Mostly looking for a great effort and not as concerned about the results....for now at least.
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

While I appreciate the anti-jinxing and the sandbagging going on here, I'll be a bit more realistic.

Lowell wins by a FG walking away. Say, 4-1. Any other result with this squad would be a large disappointment.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Considering all of the pomp and circumstance that will be associated with opening night inside a full house and the "unveiling" of the first (and I hope is the start of many) additions to the banners inside the Tsongas Arena, my only goal is that they win the game. Be it by one, or by a touchdown, it really doesn't matter because it's two HE points. Coupled with the first big trip out West in some time, I'd like to see the Hawks take care of business and be loose for outbound ride.

Saturday was everything I expected...a lot of rust but some promising signs that they can and will deliver. Personally, I think Houk tried to do too much too soon and it cost him dearly. He seems like a much better player that was what displayed. Sinstyn could be a stud in this league, 1.5 years removed from hockey. Give him a few games and I think he will produce. McGrath also looked very promising as well.

Tony's right, Lowell should win this game on paper by a couple simply based on the goal-tending differences between the two teams. I'll go on the record with a 4-2 or 5-3 Lowell win, but I can understand some of the reservations, as there is a documented history with this team. As Bazin has control of the ship, I do have the feel it will be ancient history. Vermont did play with Lowell last year, especially when the Hawks let the foot off of the gas. I'll give a lot of credit to them in stealing that UVM game in BTV and making the TV game at Tsongas far more interesting that it should have been.

At the same time, if Lowell is able to execute, play to their level (ranking), and out shoots Vermont by double-digits or more, I can't fathom a scenario where the game goes into the books for the Catmounts unless their goalie has the night of nights.
                          Last edited by John_Fuller; 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM.
                          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
                            I agree. Let's not get too over confident that every game will be an easy one. This is the league opener for both teams
                            and everybody will be ready for it.
                            You guys realize that we don't actually play in the games right? And not for nothing, but if any Lowell fan thinks that they may lose their home opener to a team that is the clear pick for last (and yes, I know Lowell was picked 9th last year, but UVM doesn't have a new coach or a new system, or Scott Wilson and Doug Carr), they need to have a little more faith in this team.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                              Green Bay is a great team on paper...lets find out on the field.
                              With the way the refs have been in the exhibition games, it looks like HE has some replacement officials out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X