Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    I opened the Courant this morning and there was an ad for the UConn-QU game tonight which will be broadcast locally by WCCT both over the air and cable. Wow!! That is great.

I think it is a safe bet that UConn will not be opening it up tonight. A tight checking game of the sort that beat Merrimack is what is called for tonight. And high effort for all three (or four) periods.
    I'm with you Dick. This UConn team has some talent, but Saturday night was very disappointing. From the sound of things the coach wasn't thrilled either. UConn needs to hit but they need to be smart and disciplined about it. With 42 penalty minutes, I think it is safe to say they were neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      With 42 penalty minutes, I think it is safe to say they were neither.
      Jim, my experience is that failure to move the feet is the root cause for most penalties. Overexuberance, yeah, a couple or three a game. But being too tired (or lazy) to move the feet to get proper position causes most of them.

Comment

I never thought of that really, but it actually sounds sensible. Though I'm not sure that was the whole problem on Saturday. they had 2 10 minute majors which sounds to me like a couple of guys doing dumb things. I didn't see the game, but when that happens it is usually a sign of extreme frustration or extreme lack of discipline. Had 5 penalties in each of the 2nd and 3rd periods as well which translates into playing a full period a man down. Tough to win against a good club doing that.

Comment

Disappointed that the Huskies did not get the win or at least a tie last night, but not disappointed in how they played. It looked great on TV and the Huskies did not really look dominated. UConn's opponents always take a lot of shots. The question is how many grade A's they cough up. Unfortunately I missed most of the third period after the Poe roughing penalty (someone forgot to tell the ref that it was a game of hockey). As far as I could see it was one step and a shoulder to the chest. Legal hit on someone looking down and trying to find the puck in his skates.

Comment

Disappointed that the Huskies did not get the win or at least a tie last night, but not disappointed in how they played. It looked great on TV and the Huskies did not really look dominated. UConn's opponents always take a lot of shots. The question is how many grade A's they cough up. Unfortunately I missed most of the third period after the Poe roughing penalty (someone forgot to tell the ref that it was a game of hockey). As far as I could see it was one step and a shoulder to the chest. Legal hit on someone looking down and trying to find the puck in his skates.
            I thought it was a terrific game. Close, hard checking. I thought UConn did most of the hitting. Nice job by Grogan, and I agree on the shots. There were a handful of good ones but also a fair number of relatively easy shots to stop. Not taking anything away from Grogan for sure. He played very well. (And what has he been doing on the bench for 3 years?) The number sounded worse than the actual performance. I thought UConn did a nice job of getting in people's faces to take a little off many of the shots that got through. I was hoping that we could hold on late, but my impression was that UConn was beginning to lose a bit of steam by the final 5 minutes. That happens a lot when you play a better team and hang around. By the final 5 minutes or so you're just a fraction of a second slow.

Comment

I was hoping that we could hold on late, but my impression was that UConn was beginning to lose a bit of steam by the final 5 minutes. That happens a lot when you play a better team and hang around. By the final 5 minutes or so you're just a fraction of a second slow.
              That's how I saw it as well. After hanging on in the 1st and only being down a goal, the Huskies came out and took it to us in the 2nd. Even early in the 3rd they were skating with us. What impressed me most was they seemed to always have a stick or a body (or both) in the way of many passes and shots, and Grogan was there when they didn't. Unfotunately, a little past the halfway point of the 3rd they started to tire and we kept coming.

I also have to question why Grogan wasn't pulled in the last 3 minutes while UConn was on the PP. Losing 3-1 on an empty netter is no different than a 2-1 loss... at least try to increase the odds of getting a tie and forcing OT.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                That's how I saw it as well. After hanging on in the 1st and only being down a goal, the Huskies came out and took it to us in the 2nd. Even early in the 3rd they were skating with us. What impressed me most was they seemed to always have a stick or a body (or both) in the way of many passes and shots, and Grogan was there when they didn't. Unfotunately, a little past the halfway point of the 3rd they started to tire and we kept coming.

I also have to question why Grogan wasn't pulled in the last 3 minutes while UConn was on the PP. Losing 3-1 on an empty netter is no different than a 2-1 loss... at least try to increase the odds of getting a tie and forcing OT.
                I think they felt like they could get some shots off, and they actually did have one that Hatzell made a great stop on. And 3 minutes in is a long time. You give up a goal with 3 minutes to go you have little chance to get back in it and you're already a man up. I think the UConn staff felt they had a chance with the PP, and if that didn't go, they could still pull the goalie in the final minute or so and have another chance. Unfortunately for UConn, the Bobcats kept the pressure on and that final chance never came.
                Last edited by Jim; 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

If there had been league points at stake they might have done that.

Comment

Now its time to put QU in the rear view mirror and focus on AIC. This is a series the Huskies really need to win, and looking at the records they really should win. Get back to .500 in the conference. Maybe get on a little roll. But this team seems to play to the level of its competition to some extent. Cannot do that this weekend.

Comment

Now its time to put QU in the rear view mirror and focus on AIC.
                      But first let me put in my vote for Coach Berard to have the Interim removed from his title and a multi-year contract signed. Let this go on much longer and recruiting will be significantly affected in one of the most critical years in the program's history. The man is obviously qualified and has done a very nice job under the circumstances. And more important, he has got the energy and the passion and knows the league. If not now, then when, exactly? C'mon Warde Manuel, let's get this thing done in timely fashion and move forward!!
                      Last edited by RSTuthill; 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

But first let me put in my vote for Coach Berard to have the Interim removed from his title and a multi-year contract signed. Let this go on much longer and recruiting will be significantly affected in one of the most critical years in the program's history. The man is obviously qualified and has done a very nice job under the circumstances. And more important, he has got the energy and the passion and knows the league. If not now, then when, exactly? C'mon Warde Manuel, let's get this thing done in timely fashion and move forward!!
                        I'm inclined to agree with you, alhtough in this situation, having taken over mid-season, I can get why they didn't move immediately to give him the full title. In fact, I can get why they didn't give Ollie the job too given how and when he took over. For a guy who has never been a head coach before, Berard has done a fine job so far. And given his background I think he would have been a likely candidate even if Bruce hadn't stepped aside this season. Of course if they come out and get blown out of the building by AIC this weekend I reserve the right to change my mind!

Comment

Not tonight. But the Huskies have a long track record of not sustaining success into the second night. So they should win tonight in their own barn, but I am guessing AIC hammers them tomorrow night.

Comment

So they should win tonight in their own barn, but I am guessing AIC hammers them tomorrow night.
                            Almost happened. Very frustrating to once again fail to get to 0.500.

The season is hanging in the balance right now. Winning two at RIT looks problematic. Winning against Bentley, the way they have been playing, looks problematic. Likewise against HC. The guys just have to decide what outcome they want for this season and commit themselves to paying that price -- which is almost ALWAYS higher than it first appears. Do they want yet another season under 0.500 and an unlikely route to the tournament finals? Or do they want something better? It all comes down to heart and how much they want it.

Comment

I don't get why this team seems to still have so much trouble playing 2 good games in a row. I almost wonder if it is conditioning. Or if they seem to lose focus. this is going to be a tricky stretch coming up, 2 at RIT, then Bentley then Holy Cross. When you look at it, it seems like 3-3 would be a best case. Got to do better than that.

Comment

The Huskies hockey team now has its blueprint for what to do tonight. Look no further than men's basketball last night in Providence. The Huskies should never have won that game. They did it on heart and never giving up.

Comment

Working...
                                X