UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kenny View Post
    Tough guy throwing backhanded daggers at a defenseless coach on an anonymous board, huh. You are a complete donkey!
    I didn't mean it to come across like that in any way. The three finalists, IMO, were all extremely impressive and are at the top of their chosen profession so I think it's important to read the comments in that context.

That said, as a fan, that's how I would have ranked them. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just offering an opinion. For the record, I was being sincere in my hope that he does very well (and therefore makes me look like said donkey) in this instance.

Comment

• Re: UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

My first post! UConn Huskies are in the best of hands from what I hear in the college hockey ranks. Can't wait to drop the puck next year!

Comment

• Originally posted by UConnHuskies View Post
        My first post! UConn Huskies are in the best of hands from what I hear in the college hockey ranks. Can't wait to drop the puck next year!
        Hiring Gwoz would have brought the program instant credibility and he would have been able to jump in the ring with the big boys, recruiting wise, from day 1... That said, at 59, he was not the ideal candidate. Gwoz wanted the job. It was nothing contractual that led to him not getting the job. Cav beat him out, plain and simple. I believe the reason they went with Cav is because of age. The goal here is to hire a coach who they feel can build the program and establish a history of success in the next 15-20 years. Not have to look for a new coach in 6 years...

Cav is the right guy. He's earned the opportunity. Hokydad can bash him and state that York would have all the national titles without him,but York would be the first one to disagree with that. Cav helped build BC into what it is today. He has not had to hit the highway too often in recent years as BC gets whoever they want, but he certainly pounded the pavement in the early years. Also, picking whoever you want isn't easy. Cav has had the ability to pick not only the best players, but the right players. Cav understands that the challenge at uconn will be much different than what they did at BC. He understands that you need players to win. Hiring a hungry college assistant was the right move for uconn. Cav has a chip on his shoulder and will be a great head coach. My guess is that he will hire two younger assistant coaches who have talent identifying players. It would not surprise me one bit to see Cav being the only coach on the bench next season for many games as his assistants will be on the road doing nothing but recruiting. Cav understands the nuts and bolts that go into running a program.

This is unfortunate for Berard, but I can't see Cav keeping him. He will want things done his way, and unfortunately Berard was too close to getting the job himself and will always think that he deserved the job. McKenna doesn't stand a chance at keeping his job.

Uconn hockey should be very pleased with this hire. You got a great guy who will put everything into the job.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
          I think its telling that he went in and interviewed everywhere and nobody else wanted to hire him.
          Except that that's not entirely true.

Good luck to Cavanaugh. I think UConn is in capable hands and I think it does send a message that UConn is serious about the upgrade of the program.

Comment

Contrary to some of the garbage I've seen on this, cav
            was not 0/20 for head jobs and he was not overlooked by every team in hockey east or just about every team. Has he missed out on a FEW jobs from around the country? Yep, but since when did that become a bad thing? Plus, nobody knows why he ddidn't get those other jobs. I have no idea how he'll be as a head guy, but he is well liked and well regarded. He'll have some quality assistants to choose from and instantly brings credibility to the uconn program. Still has a long way to go and a lot to prove, but not bad for a guy who had a zero percent chance of getting the job.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
              Just quoting so it can't be deleted
              It is kinda dumb... the first runner up to the Lowell job is coaching some small podunk city called Buffalo. I think the team is called the Sabres but to be honest I'm not really sure. Fact is, college hockey jobs don't turn over and when they do there's a lot of well-qualified guys looking for their way in.

I don't know much about Cavanaugh... Especially I wonder about his age... whoever takes on UConn is taking on a hard task because its very much a building phase where he needs to guide the entire program. It is almost like starting a new program, he will have to be an advocate and an effective coach.

edit: Of course the most interesting thing, and lord knows what's going on there because I haven't looked at their thread in awhile, would mean that he turned up any possibility at the Maine job... but my impression of the situation, not having looked in on the situation in awhile, is that its a full on mess.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Congrats to Coach C. We will be behind him. But he better win, and that means starting with the AHA league title this year. No excuses.

If we had thought a bit more deeply about the situation, we could have figured it out well beforehand. This is a strategic hire and more than hockey is at stake here.

Comment

No excuses? Is uconn the automatic preseason favorite?

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                    Cav beat him out, plain and simple.
                    I'm not sure about this. Something happened between Buccigross reporting Gwoz was front runner to Cav getting job. My guess is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Gwoz has the luxury of sitting out and waiting because he will still be getting paid next year by DU.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      No excuses? Is uconn the automatic preseason favorite?
                      RST has never been quite reasonable.

A coach can do quite a few things but its a rare talent that can harness that type of success in a single year. I mean, could things happen, sure... But the rest is wishful thinking. For that matter players will naturally turnover as the type that he wants will differ from the previous.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        I'm not sure about this. Something happened between Buccigross reporting Gwoz was front runner to Cav getting job. My guess is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Gwoz has the luxury of sitting out and waiting because he will still be getting paid next year by DU.
                        New to this site, but not UConn. My insiders told me Cavanaugh had a great interview and also had support from members of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          RST has never been quite reasonable.
                          Thanks, Patman. When you put on a pair of skates for the first time, remember to tape up your ankles

The previous quote was said somewhat facetiously. But Cavanaugh has some winning over to do. He is replacing a wildly popular interim head coach who recruited almost all the players on the team including the incoming freshmen, and who just produced the best record in more than a decade.

The Guv is the guy making things happen behind the scenes including the hockey upgrade, he is a BC alum, they are trying to get BC to come play at the XL this year, the two AD's at UConn and BC are Michigan FB alums, UConn dearly wants to play BC in FB again and wants dearly into the ACC. You can connect the dots. If things don't go well, there is going to be a lot of criticism and pressure. I repeat, they better win.

Comment

Originally posted by UConnHuskies View Post
                            New to this site, but not UConn. My insiders told me Cavanaugh had a great interview and also had support from members of the board.
                            Yeah, the Board is who got us Pasquoloni. I hope this turns out better.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                              But he better win, and that means starting with the AHA league title this year. No excuses.
                              No excuses?

High school teams in CT have nicer rinks

Comment

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                                No excuses?

High school teams in CT have nicer rinks
                                No one cares about the AHA title next season. Cav is getting 18 scholorships and his focus for the next 15 months is going to be on getting players in order to be competitive in 14-15...who cares about aha? I mean really? No excuses? Haha

Comment

Working...
                                X