Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Actually Paul Pearl at Holy Cross and I think Pecknold were on the UConn staff early in their careers, too.
    Pearl, yes. Pecknold, don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      there was a report from Rich Cappolla that both UConn and Ohio State had contacted him. About a week ago. I suspect it was for UConn to be able to say "we asked but he said no," and for Pecknold to go to Jack McDonald and say "See how popular I am. Pay me more money!" At least as far as UConn goes, I doubt either side really had much interest in the other.
      First you make your uniforms as boring as ours, now you're getting rejected by Pecknold? Geez. Stop trying to be UMass
      #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        Pearl, yes. Pecknold, don't think so.
        Pearl I know was a UConn assistant. Pecknold I thought I heard that but it could be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
          Pearl I know was a UConn assistant. Pecknold I thought I heard that but it could be wrong.
          You're confusing UConn with Connecticut College. As far as McKenna goes, I'm not sure he is a high level assistant but that has nothing to do with his playing D3 or as this other minion said "didn't play anywhere" - that's the worst argument going and I laugh everyone I hear it.

Peter Laviolette played at Westfield State, I think Jon Cooper played baseball in college...I could go on forever...

Comment

Ps...check out buccigross' tweet re: uconn

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
              Ps...check out buccigross' tweet re: uconn
              Your link didn't work. Try this one.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

This would be one hell of an investment to the hockey program.
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

You're confusing UConn with Connecticut College. As far as McKenna goes, I'm not sure he is a high level assistant but that has nothing to do with his playing D3 or as this other minion said "didn't play anywhere" - that's the worst argument going and I laugh everyone I hear it.

Peter Laviolette played at Westfield State, I think Jon Cooper played baseball in college...I could go on forever...
                  Yes, you can make a list of coaches who did not play at a high level. That said, I can make a list 10X longer of great coaches who did in fact play at a high level. To assume that you do not learn the game from playing at a high level, for great coaches, is moronic. Of course you learn alot and have an advantage over those without those experiences. Why do you think so many NHL coaches and GM's are former players? Its because of their experience and the wisdom they picked up from playing the game.

And btw...yes, Laviolette played at Westfield State, but he also played in the NHL.

My point on McKenna was simply that NOTHING on his resume is competitive with that of other Hockey East coaches.

Comment

If UConn lands George Gwozdecky then the state of hockey in the Connecticut with Quinnipiac, Yale and UConn will be tremendous.
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                      Yes, you can make a list of coaches who did not play at a high level. That said, I can make a list 10X longer of great coaches who did in fact play at a high level. To assume that you do not learn the game from playing at a high level, for great coaches, is moronic. Of course you learn alot and have an advantage over those without those experiences. Why do you think so many NHL coaches and GM's are former players? Its because of their experience and the wisdom they picked up from playing the game.

And btw...yes, Laviolette played at Westfield State, but he also played in the NHL.

My point on McKenna was simply that NOTHING on his resume is competitive with that of other Hockey East coaches.
                      We're on the same page regarding McKenna, and I agree wholeheartedly that any experience an individual has in their field (in this one as a player or coach) is influential in their development. My point was ultimately that playing at the highest level is much less indicative of a successful coach then ability to identify and groom talent along with all the other attributes required of a coach.

Your original post had many other great points, so it was probably the wrong one for me to highlight this whole "coach as a player thing" but you get where I'm coming from...

Comment

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross
                        51s

No final decision made, but 2 days of talks between George Gwozdecky and UCONN went well and there is an excellent chance of him being hired

This is the tweet. Was posted on a UConn board today. Might make this whole discussion moot.

Comment

We're on the same page regarding McKenna, and I agree wholeheartedly that any experience an individual has in their field (in this one as a player or coach) is influential in their development. My point was ultimately that playing at the highest level is much less indicative of a successful coach then ability to identify and groom talent along with all the other attributes required of a coach.

Your original post had many other great points, so it was probably the wrong one for me to highlight this whole "coach as a player thing" but you get where I'm coming from...
                          But he wasn't hired as a Hockey East coach. He was hired as the 2nd assistant to a team that only carried 2. In a position which has traditionally been a stepping stone. He was simply there when Berard became acting head coach. If he stays, and I have no idea whether he will or not, it will likely be in his original capacity, 2nd assistant. The new head coach will likely bring in a more experienced assistant in the #1 role and possibly 2 more to bring the staff on to a par with most other top flight programs in HEA which tend to have 3 assistants. Again, UConn where it was a year ago and where it is today are very different in terms of hockey. the 2nd assistant's job has historically been a job held by younger guys just breaking into the coaching ranks. McKenna fits that definition to a tee. I doubt anyone expects that he will out recruit some of the top recruiters in Hockey East because he wasn't hired to do that. He was hired to recruit against other AHA guys, many of whom are also younger guys just breaking into the business.

Comment

Per Mike Anthony, Hartford courant the finalists for the UConn job are Berard, Cavanaugh the BC assistant, and Gwozdecky. Gwoz is being interviewed today reportedly. I couldn't get the link to post but here is the tweet.
                            ManthonyCourant 1:42pm via Web
                            David Berard and BC asst Mike Cavanaugh have interviewed for UConn hockey job. Other finalist is George Gwozdecky, who interviews today.

Comment

Salary is going to be an issue. According to the twitterverse, the pay was $90K last year. Gwoz earned north of $200K and I believe that seems to be the HEA standard.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Salary is going to be an issue. According to the twitterverse, the pay was $90K last year. Gwoz earned north of $200K and I believe that seems to be the HEA standard.
                                I don't think salary will be an issue in this instance. UConn knew what they were getting into with HEA and that meant an across the board upgrade (facilities, staff, etc.). I'd anticipate the UConn HC salary to be ~$250k...

Comment

Working...
                                X