UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    Yeah, mostly it was the university aiming for "consistent visual identity" across its entire athletics brand, which can lead to a boring look.

But it's not like the previous jersey was terribly exciting:
    *****http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/colleges/atlantic_hockey/2011-12/photos/Garrett_Bartus_UConn_250.jpg?max_height=356&max_width=250******
    I told this to Zack (Dobbs knows of whom I speak)... Strict adherence to branding is stupid. Clearly those hockey jerseys are a step backwards. Branding is not the end unto itself, it's about looking good and being identifiable.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: UCONN Hockey 2012-13: Hockey East Here We Come

Head Coach candidates, Cavanaugh (BC asst.), Powers (Michigan Asst.), Gwoz , Berard. Looks like Berard has inside track according to Manuel.
      http://articles.courant.com/2013-04-...itas-ice-forum
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
        I'm disgusted with the current leadership of the athletic department. The Hockey East move strikes me as an accident at this point, given how bad the rest of the things have been. Failed to get the NCAA to overturn the ACC ban, while making a pathetic and utterly ridiculous argument (don't punish the current players for the sins of the past...which of course means NO college team could ever be penalized). Out maneuvered by Louisville on the ACC move. Retaining a football coach who has done nothing but drive the program into oblivion, and now the "new identity." So they take a symbol that has been the university's emblem for 2 decades in one form or another, and ignore 75 years of tradition of having a white dog (UConn has a specific tradition of having only all white huskies with at least 1 blue eye as a mascot,and have since at least the 1950s) in order to put a clip art version of some generic husky. Then to make matters worse, they design this campy football helmet, which will probably also become the hockey helmet...and still can't run the football! Utterly inept. I figure this crew will hire some PeeWee Coach from South Windsor as the new Hockey Coach at the rate they are going.
        I never quite agreed w the football coach pick because it seemed timid... UConn is well on its way to death by administration but they had grown complacent because they thought they had arrived... As a school.

----

I was hearing that the coaching fraterinity wants to see Berard get a shot.

None of this matters too much of that matters right now because the dynamics keep getting worse... Including this massive rebranding failure... But this is why i hate consultants and committees designed to get along more than get it right.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Should be David Berard hands down. But if they go with Gwoz it will be because of his track record. Hard to compete with that.

A bit from Manuel in the Courant this morning:

With UConn moving into Hockey East, Manuel's attention now is on hiring a new men's hockey coach. Interim coach David Berard, who replaced Bruce Marshall when Marshall took a medical leave and then resigned, is a candidate. Berard led the Huskies to a 19-14-4 record. Manuel has praised Berard for the job Berard did in leading the Huskies to their first winning season since 1999-2000.

"It's progressing very well," he said "We're going hot and heavy now and hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll have that finalized. I'm looking for not only a great coach, but somebody who is going to help us build this, it's a unique opportunity with a great product — UConn and Hockey East — and we need somebody who is going to be out there, who going to embrace that role of 'I've got to get out and talk some big-time hockey.' "

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
            Should be David Berard hands down. But if they go with Gwoz it will be because of his track record. Hard to compete with that.

A bit from Manuel in the Courant this morning:

With UConn moving into Hockey East, Manuel's attention now is on hiring a new men's hockey coach. Interim coach David Berard, who replaced Bruce Marshall when Marshall took a medical leave and then resigned, is a candidate. Berard led the Huskies to a 19-14-4 record. Manuel has praised Berard for the job Berard did in leading the Huskies to their first winning season since 1999-2000.

"It's progressing very well," he said "We're going hot and heavy now and hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll have that finalized. I'm looking for not only a great coach, but somebody who is going to help us build this, it's a unique opportunity with a great product — UConn and Hockey East — and we need somebody who is going to be out there, who going to embrace that role of 'I've got to get out and talk some big-time hockey.' "
            Yup. I'm excited about the new on campus barn, too. That to me was the missing link in all this. Now sounds like it is in the works.

Comment

My prediction on the rebranding nonsense is that it is a short term thing and will be forgotten in a year or two. You want to formalize the UCONN name? Sure, its pretty universally used anyway. Not unlike Penn State, Georgia Tech, UCLA (even the new York times dropped the University of California Los Angeles reference a few years ago). But the rest of it is poorly conceived and poorly executed. Replaced a well known and highly popular logo with a piece of clip art. And the new football helmets have only one function I can think of...they make people think Maryland's aren't so bad. So my prediction is that UCONN will become the dominant "symbol" with the clipart husky relegated to some very minor role before being phased out in a year or two...or after they sell out the majority of the new merchandise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Yup. I'm excited about the new on campus barn, too. That to me was the missing link in all this. Now sounds like it is in the works.
                Talking to some parents and others at the Mercyhurst tournament games, it seemed like making Gample dual use was the more likely option. I would be over the moon either way.

Comment

Talking to some parents and others at the Mercyhurst tournament games, it seemed like making Gample dual use was the more likely option. I would be over the moon either way.
                  Really? I had heard just the opposite. That the Gampel option would essentailly require almost gutting the place. But either one works for me. In typical short sighted fashion, they should have built Frietas to be better than what they built. But hey, at least we haven't been playing outside these past 10 years, right Dick!

Comment

You know, playing outside had its certain charm, Jim. Fastest college ice in the nation, for one. The ambiance of that warming hut was great too. But I think we have been there and done that at this point Jim. My memories of that era will be good enough to carry me. It would be nice though, if they do enlarge Freitas, if they put a fireplace in the lobby as a tip of the hat to the old place.

Comment

You know, playing outside had its certain charm, Jim. Fastest college ice in the nation, for one. The ambiance of that warming hut was great too. But I think we have been there and done that at this point Jim. My memories of that era will be good enough to carry me. It would be nice though, if they do enlarge Freitas, if they put a fireplace in the lobby as a tip of the hat to the old place.
                      It was interesting for sure. And I like the idea of the fireplace in the lobby of Freitas II...by the way that, not a redesigned Gampel would be my preference. I could live with either option, though.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        Check out the new hockey uniforms.
                        http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2013/04/wearing-uconn/
                        Look familiar.
                        *****http://www.fabuloussavings.ca/online/icejerseys/images/customCampaign/hart1a_team_usa_hockey_jerseys.jpg******
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

http://articles.courant.com/2013-04-...huskies-season
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

they just announced recruits for the upcoming season...
                            http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...042613aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                              they just announced recruits for the upcoming season...
                              http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...042613aaa.html
                              Another reason why David Berard should be named Head Coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Oooomph.

All ACC schools grant their television rights to the ACC.

RIP Uconn athletics. Butch, if you could send my condolences to upstater and palatine, it would be greatly appreciated!
                                It ain't over.

Our uniforms horribly suck now.

Comment

Working...
                                X