Minnesota State University Maverick Hockey: 2012-2013 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State University Maverick Hockey: 2012-2013 Season Thread

Tonight officially kicks off the Mike Hastings era of Maverick Hockey.

Here's Shane's article from this morning's free press: http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...-with-the-best

I will be at tonight's game and give a breakdown of what I see, etc.

Looking forward to this season..it has the potential to be a fun one!
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: Minnesota State University Maverick Hockey: 2012-2013 Season Thread

7-1 win tonight. SOG were 65-10.

I know it''s early and it was exhibition, but the last two periods especially, they Mavs played really well. They're talented. Leitner is a stud.
    AF 99

Comment

A lot of fun. Not much of a crowd, but I guess that an exhibition game at the same time as a Vikings game, it was to be expected.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

By the way, the Civic Center better get its act together. At the first intermission tonight, within five minutes they were out of hot dogs, hot pretzels, and cheeseburgers. This was a 5:00 game, where most people probably wouldn't have dinner before coming (too early) and wouldn't want to wait until after (too late.) And it's not like it was an unexpectedly large crowd. Announced was about 1200, but there was nowhere near that actually in the building. We were able to hold my grandson off with some popcorn until they had more food ready for the second intermission, but it was really not excusable.
        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          A lot of fun. Not much of a crowd, but I guess that an exhibition game at the same time as a Vikings game, it was to be expected.
          I bet that was close to actual attendance. I'd like to say I'm surprised by your concession troubles but the staff at the Arena has been a joke from day one.

I forgot to say.. Blueger is young..a little raw but highly talented.
          AF 99

Comment

Blueger made some very nice passes that weren't converted, but he seems to have a good sense for where the opportunities are.

Comment

Ugh, I note that the Purple Cows were 1-8 on the power play against an over-matched opponent.

Hastings was in charge of UNO's horrific power play here. UNO only had 25 power play goals last season in 146 attempts (worst in the WCHA).

Hastings walks on water here in Omaha and he has some major street cred. That said, it will be interesting to see if you guys have as dyslexic a power play as we have had under his tutelage as your season goes on.

A power play hallmark was the utterly ridiculous amount of dump and chase that went on, a lot of the time, for no discernible reason. Battles that UNO didn't win very much. Seriously, I am not making this up--more often than not, UNO looked better on offense, short-handed, than they did on the power play last season, a comment buttressed by the fact that UNO was 2nd in the nation in shorties last season with 10 goals scored.

You've been warned. I don't seem to recall his Lancer's teams having this problem, though. For the most part, those teams were so good it might not have mattered much, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Ugh, I note that the Purple Cows were 1-8 on the power play against an over-matched opponent.

Hastings was in charge of UNO's horrific power play here. UNO only had 25 power play goals last season in 146 attempts (worst in the WCHA).

Hastings walks on water here in Omaha and he has some major street cred. That said, it will be interesting to see if you guys have as dyslexic a power play as we have had under his tutelage as your season goes on.

A power play hallmark was the utterly ridiculous amount of dump and chase that went on, a lot of the time, for no discernible reason. Battles that UNO didn't win very much. Seriously, I am not making this up--more often than not, UNO looked better on offense, short-handed, than they did on the power play last season, a comment buttressed by the fact that UNO was 2nd in the nation in shorties last season with 10 goals scored.

You've been warned. I don't seem to recall his Lancer's teams having this problem, though. For the most part, those teams were so good it might not have mattered much, anyway.
                Definitely wasn't a problem last night, just couldn't finish at all last night. It'll be interesting to keep note of this.
                AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                  Definitely wasn't a problem last night, just couldn't finish at all last night. It'll be interesting to keep note of this.
                  Yeah, that was my sense. They were generating the opportunities, as witnessed by 29 shots on goal in the third period. He hasn't had much time with the guys yet, so I'm sure that installing a power play was not the first priority.

Comment

From Shane's PucKato blog:

Looking at the Mavs: Forwards
                    The following is a glance at Minnesota State's forwards for the 2012-13 season. Today focuses on the forwards.

Minnesota State returns its top four scoring forwards from a year ago in Matt Leitner, Jean Paul LaFontaine, Eriah Hayes and Zach Lehrke. Last season, Leitner, LaFontaine and Hayes played together most of the season and were an excellent group, but that trio was broken up for Sunday's exhibition game.

With the talented Leitner centering Chase Grant and freshman Bryce Gervais, and the underrated Lehrke taking the spot between LaFontaine (an all-WCHA rookie team pick last year) and Hayes, the Mavericks look like they have some real offensive depth up front.

"We've got four lines that all can put the puck in the net," Leitner said after his four-point game against Lethbridge. "As a team we feel we can throw anybody out there."

Having Grant back from a season lost to injury certainly helps (he had 20 points as a freshman in '10-11), and this year's rookie class of Gervais, Teddy Blueger, Brett Knowles and Dylan Margonari has been highly touted since they signed their NLIs last November. Gervais had a three-point game in the exhibition, and Blueger, a second-round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins this summer, showed some flash, including a pretty no-look pass to set up a power play goal. But it was the lesser-hyped Margonari who turned some heads, as he showed some speed and a pretty shot for a goal before leaving the game with a minor injury.

The 6-4, 210-pound Hayes is playing for his senior season as well as for what's to follow (he'll be a free agent); everything points to him being be motivated by both prospects. Johnny McInnis took a big step forward last year, earning and then keeping a spot as a solid two-way player. J.P. Burkemper has shown promise in the past when he's been healthy (he was held out Sunday to rest a minor injury).

Coach Mike Hastings said on Sunday that, when healthy, the Mavericks have enough depth to play four lines. Who will fill in the lineup? The Lethbridge game began with Margonari, Max Gaede and senior Eli Zuck on the fourth line, with Mankato native Corey Leivermann, Charlie Thauwald and Taylor Herndon not getting in the game until the second period.

Minnesota State forwards (2011-12 stats)
                    Matt Leitner, so. (38 games, 11-18—29)
                    Jean-Paul LaFontaine, so. (38 games, 13-15—28)
                    Eriah Hayes, sr. (36 games, 13-11—24)
                    Zach Lehrke, jr. (35 games, 13-10—23)
                    Johnny McInnis, jr. (37 games, 8-7—15)
                    Eli Zuck, sr. (35 games, 4-10—14)
                    Max Gaede, so. (30 games, 3-4—7)
                    J.P. Burkemper, jr. (17 games, 2-3—5)
                    Corey Leivermann, jr. (21 games, 1-0—1)
                    Charlie Thauwald, so. (7 games, 0-1—1)
                    Chase Grant, so. (5 games, 0-0—0)*
                    Teddy Blueger, fr.
                    Bryce Gervais, fr.
                    Taylor Herndon, fr.
                    Brett Knowles, fr.
                    Dylan Margonari, fr.

* = medical redshirt
                    Gervais looked really good last night. He played with great passion and he has a great shot; he looks like a natural goal scorer.
                    AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                      Yeah, that was my sense. They were generating the opportunities, as witnessed by 29 shots on goal in the third period. He hasn't had much time with the guys yet, so I'm sure that installing a power play was not the first priority.
                      Maybe not the first priority, but it was more than a little odd seeing a different power play system than the last 10 years. There was a lot more passing behind and in front of the net and men set up in the goalie's vision rather than just passing it around the top hoping a defender got out of position. Frankly, it was refreshing to me.
                      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                        Maybe not the first priority, but it was more than a little odd seeing a different power play system than the last 10 years. There was a lot more passing behind and in front of the net and men set up in the goalie's vision rather than just passing it around the top hoping a defender got out of position. Frankly, it was refreshing to me.
                        I agree. It was probably implemented during the summer and spring meetings.

It was kind of a hybrid version of the Upsidedown Umbrella.
                        AF 99

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all on our ice yet again. We're glad that y'all could keep the date.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

What I do know is that with Mike Hastings behind our bench, we are better that with Troy Jutting (and I liked Jutting).

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              I'm looking forward to seeing y'all on our ice yet again. We're glad that y'all could keep the date.

GFM
                              We are as well, sir! Now if we can just get you guys into the nWCHA!
                              AF 99

Comment

Working...
                              X