Face Shields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face Shields?

Might be getting closer -- memo from the NCAA ... http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/publ...s/visor+update
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Face Shields?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Might be getting closer -- memo from the NCAA ... http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/publ...s/visor+update
    I think this is stupid. As a ref with a half shield I still occassionally got hit in the mouth. Why allow that opportunity for the players to get injured. Is it a macho thing? Keep the full face mask.

Comment

In a game this past weekend a defense men tried to lift the stick of an opposing player and missed. The blade went up and caught the opposing player on the chin. I believe if it were not for a full mask that blade could have easily caused my damage.

If one of the reasons to go to a half shield is because colleges are losing prospects to the juniors, then my comment would be in regard to the prospects reasoning of a half shield being the deciding factor. Please do not state better visibility, as our eyes routinely perceive images with out the full picture. More then likely you could block more of the puck and players and still have good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
        I think this is stupid. As a ref with a half shield I still occassionally got hit in the mouth. Why allow that opportunity for the players to get injured. Is it a macho thing? Keep the full face mask.
        Interesting. Maybe refs should also have the full cage on rink.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          In a game this past weekend a defense men tried to lift the stick of an opposing player and missed. The blade went up and caught the opposing player on the chin. I believe if it were not for a full mask that blade could have easily caused my damage.

If one of the reasons to go to a half shield is because colleges are losing prospects to the juniors, then my comment would be in regard to the prospects reasoning of a half shield being the deciding factor. Please do not state better visibility, as our eyes routinely perceive images with out the full picture. More then likely you could block more of the puck and players and still have good results.
          From what I have heard going to the half shield reduces concussions. If true the likelihood of staying with the full cage might make a lawsuit just around the corner.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            From what I have heard going to the half shield reduces concussions. If true the likelihood of staying with the full cage might make a lawsuit just around the corner.
            The reason it's true is only because of the "fear" factor. If you're only wearing a half shield the kamikaze effect goes away from the player. The "no tolerance" on head hits should of had the same effect but for some reason the refs are already breaking the "no tolerance" rule over and over again by not automatically giving a 5 fiver for any contact to the head.

It never ceases to amaze me how many less issues we would have if the refs would just call the damm rulebook.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Scotty Bowman said once, "Too many college players check with their face."

The point being -- too many college players lead with their face. I don't see that as 100% true, by any stretch. But there is a fearlessness that can attach itself to the reality of wearing more thorough protection.

Personally, in my opinion, the real key to stopping all these head injuries is two fold:

1. Call the rule book. Call players who leave their feet for a check, and call players who lead with their elbows.
              2. Make a fundemental change in the equipment.

Instead of going to half-shields -- which seems to be inviting more injuries rather than reducing injuries -- take away the armor-plated hard plastic shoulder and elbow pads. The modern shoulder pads are akin to football pads. The elbow pads are even worse, with large knobby plastic-coated elbow extensions. Is the face mask causing the concussion? No.

Comment

The think it is the fearless part but also players coming out of college tend to carry the stick higher hence arms too. So it isn't just the hits and concussions it is also getting the stick lower, moving the contact down.

The problem with the contact to head 5-minute penalty is they went too far. Nobody wants to call majors unless it is an extremely dangerous play. That is the hockey culture on majors. The rule should be a double minor rule (adding an additional 2-minutes), enough teeth to curb the behavior but not so much that the refs cringe at calling the rule.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I think it's a great idea, take the shields away and the high sticks elbows etc.. will go down.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    The think it is the fearless part but also players coming out of college tend to carry the stick higher hence arms too. So it isn't just the hits and concussions it is also getting the stick lower, moving the contact down.

The problem with the contact to head 5-minute penalty is they went too far. Nobody wants to call majors unless it is an extremely dangerous play. That is the hockey culture on majors. The rule should be a double minor rule (adding an additional 2-minutes), enough teeth to curb the behavior but not so much that the refs cringe at calling the rule.
                    Waaah, on the culture. It didn't go too far at all. You want it out of the game you have to call it. They're not back to inviting kids to nail someone in the head or in the back if they want to because there's a chance it'll slip by. That's wrong.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

So IIHF is absolutely insane? It's an automatic match penalty for CTH.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                        I think it's a great idea, take the shields away and the high sticks elbows etc.. will go down.
                        So based on this theory, we would never see high sticking, checking from behind, boarding, blows to the head and elbowing in the juniors and other pro leagues right?
                        I haven't seen an NHL game in a while, but I'm pretty sure all that stuff went on... As other posters have pointed out, the real issues are the equipment is to protective and players lack a real respect for each other. At least in pro hockey if you take someone hard into the boards, the other team takes your number and your time will come to pay the piper. Maybe not next shift or next period or even the next game, but you're going to get what you have coming to you make no mistake. Not wanting to have to answer the bell is what prevents most dumb plays at the pro level.

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          So based on this theory, we would never see high sticking, checking from behind, boarding, blows to the head and elbowing in the juniors and other pro leagues right?
                          I haven't seen an NHL game in a while, but I'm pretty sure all that stuff went on... As other posters have pointed out, the real issues are the equipment is to protective and players lack a real respect for each other. At least in pro hockey if you take someone hard into the boards, the other team takes your number and your time will come to pay the piper. Maybe not next shift or next period or even the next game, but you're going to get what you have coming to you make no mistake. Not wanting to have to answer the bell is what prevents most dumb plays at the pro level.

Ryan J
                          What a stupid way to enforce things when we have rules and people there to make sure the rules are followed.

Comment

This ridiculous idea that somehow fighting keeps players honest is what is wrong with the game at every level other than IIHF and NCAA.

The NCAA should keep the masks for one simple reason. Insurance. Less facial lacerations, dental work and eye injuries = lower cost insurance. These universitites are responsible for the injuries of players. When a staggeringly high percentage of college players DONT go on to play in the NHL why should higher level institutions of education be graduating people to the rest of their life with some lifelong injury.

I don't care what coaches and players think about the issue. They're straight up wrong. And what they want has nothing to do with the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              I don't care what coaches and players think about the issue. They're straight up wrong. And what they want has nothing to do with the equation.
                              I'm not totally for eliminating the shields but that statement is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X