Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2012-13 Miami Season Thread: Baby boom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2012-13 Miami Season Thread: Baby boom!

Hard to believe that Michigan of all schools doesn't have an internet stream available for hockey games...has to be some kind of contractual reason for that, no? Or for attendance purposes? Lame either way.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
      Hard to believe that Michigan of all schools doesn't have an internet stream available for hockey games...has to be some kind of contractual reason for that, no? Or for attendance purposes? Lame either way.
      I can't imagine they'd have attendance concerns due to an online stream. I know Friday is on Comcast, which explains the lack of internet stream, but there shouldn't be any contractual issues if no one is carrying the game on Saturday. Maybe Michigan just has so many of their games broadcast that they don't have enough incentive to invest in their own equipment for the few games that don't get picked up.
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Getting geeked up for my first game of the year tonight, it was time for the return.

The tribes go forth to war,
        Their scalp songs ring afar;
        Bright the blood-red camp fires gleaming,
        Mad with thrist the war-hawks screaming,
        Signal smoke soars high,
        Beckons in the sky,
        Old men shake their calabashes,
        Warriors dance amid the ashes,
        Maides sobbing, war-drums throbbing, WAR!

Sweet the vict'ry and the conquest,
        Calm the rest among the slain;
        Sons of centuries of heroes,
        Seek the fruit, despise the pain.
        Watch Miami, now,
        See the WOLVERINES bow,
        Far and wide their host is scattered,
        Spears are broken, shields are battered;
        Miami! Yuh! Yuh! Yuh! Yuh!
        Miami! Yuh! Yuh! Yuh! Yuh!
        Race them, chase them, pound them, Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
          Looking at this board and MHT, the general malaise that has overtaken the state of Miami's football and basketball programs seems to be affecting the spirit of even our hardcore, and in many cases longtime, hockey fans. 66, now 67, replies to our thread here? For the nation's #3 ranked team?

I can't help but believe the overall state of the athletic program, hockey notwithstanding, is impacting overall support and spirit on the interwebs. I hate going to MHT these days because aside from the egregious hockey analysis, the board is akin to a morgue.

Go hockey! Go RedHawks! And, let's get some discussion going on here!
          Unfortunately, an impending deadline matched with studying for my license exams has cut into my time beyond checking in periodically.
          Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
            As a starting point, I do not believe we are worthy of a #3 ranking. I think the Wolverines take it to our youngsters this weekend in their first road series at Yost. If we split, that'd be an accomplishment. I know we're talented, but even our very best teams struggle there. What are we, 5-45-1 there all time? Sheesh...
            I was thinking about this earlier this week. I didn't even realize we were in the top 10 until i saw that P. Weston had voted us #3 in her rankings. I thought "we've played 2 solid teams - not not great, but above average. There's no way we could be that high." sure enough....

One of the things that i saw - more in the Providence series than the Colgate series - was Miami's skill & speed advantages washed out by a lack of bulk. This is the risk teams run when they are very youth-dependent. You sometimes sacrifice bulk and strength for skill and speed (only sometimes). If you watch the games again, you'll see that Miami had a clear advantage in open ice: very good stick handling, good instincts/ice awareness, and good passing. Where they struggled the most was when on the boards. It wasn't about willingness or effort. They were simply out-muscled.

Digest and dissect.
            Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
              I was thinking about this earlier this week. I didn't even realize we were in the top 10 until i saw that P. Weston had voted us #3 in her rankings. I thought "we've played 2 solid teams - not not great, but above average. There's no way we could be that high." sure enough....

One of the things that i saw - more in the Providence series than the Colgate series - was Miami's skill & speed advantages washed out by a lack of bulk. This is the risk teams run when they are very youth-dependent. You sometimes sacrifice bulk and strength for skill and speed (only sometimes). If you watch the games again, you'll see that Miami had a clear advantage in open ice: very good stick handling, good instincts/ice awareness, and good passing. Where they struggled the most was when on the boards. It wasn't about willingness or effort. They were simply out-muscled.

Digest and dissect.
              Good points, couple thoughts.

- Colgate is terrible (right now). That's all I have to say about that.
              - You're right about the lack of bulk. However, we are moving our feet defensively better than I've seen us in a long time. The shots we're blocking and the effort the team is making once again playing Miami/team hockey is outstanding.
              - We've weeded out guys that didn't want to be here and brought in hard workers to go alongside the talent we have. It's Rico at his best in terms of building a TEAM. Now, that said, the results will play out over time.
              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

A couple of alumni roster moves today:

Chris Wideman moved from ECHL's Elmira Jackals to AHL's Binghamton Senators to reunite with Pat Cannone.

Will Weber moved from AHL's Springfield Falcons, where he has yet to play, to ECHL's Evansville Icemen to reunite with Trent Vogelhuber.
                Last edited by SweeneyHawksHockey; 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM.
                2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
                  Will Weber moved from AHL's Springfield Falcons, where he has yet to play, to ECHL's Evansville Icemen to reunite with Trent Vogelhuber.
                  Guess rosters are overcrowded with the lockout...wasn't expecting to see Will down in the ECHL this season.

Comment

Wow... just..... wow.

That was stressful.

Comment

Miami sports keeping me on the edge to the end today. Great experience and a big win for a young team. Love & Honor!

Comment

About as good a Miami sports day as we've had in awhile.

Love and Honor!!!

Comment

Does anybody know anything about McKay?

Comment

Don't think they've released any official info on McKay. Hopefully not a long-term injury.

Just looked back at Paula's picks for the weekend and she was off by one goal. Called a Friday UM 4-2 win and a Saturday Miami 4-2 win.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                              Don't think they've released any official info on McKay. Hopefully not a long-term injury.

Just looked back at Paula's picks for the weekend and she was off by one goal. Called a Friday UM 4-2 win and a Saturday Miami 4-2 win.
                              Looking at the replay, it looks like he may have just been a groin/maybe hammy pull.

Comment

Weekly Alum Update:

Pat Cannone (Binghamton Senators - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2GP, 4 SOG, (+/-) -1
                                Season: 7 GP, G, 1PT, 13 SOG (+/-) Even, 2 PIM
                                Chris Wideman (Binghamton Senators - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: DNP
                                Season:
                                Cameron Schilling (Hershey Bears - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 3GP, 1A, 1PT, 1 SOG, (+/-) +4
                                Season: 7GP, 1G, 2A, 3PTS, 6 SOG, (+/-) +6
                                Jarod Palmer (Houston Aeros - AHL)
                                Season: 4GP, 1A, 1PT, 5 SOG, (+/-) +1, 5 PIM
                                Andy Miele (Portland Pirates - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 4 GP, 2G (1 PPG), 2A, 4PTS, 5 SOG, (+/-) Even, 2 PIM
                                Season: 7GP, 4G (2 PPG) , 4A, 8PTS, 13 SOG, (+/-) Even, 4 PIM
                                Carter Camper (Providence Bruins - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2GP, 2 SOG, (+/-) -2
                                Season: 6GP, 3A, 3PTS, 12 SOG, (+/-) -5
                                Justin Vaive (San Antonio Rampage - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2 GP, (+/-) Even
                                Season: 6GP, 2 SOG, (+/-) -2, 4 PIM
                                Reilly Smith (Texas Stars - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2 GP, 6 SOG, (+/-) +1, 2 PIM
                                Season: 7GP, 2A, 2PTS, 11 SOG, (+/-) +2, 6 PIM

Connor Knapp (Rochester Americans - AHL)
                                Season:
                                Jeff Zatkoff (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins - AHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2 GP, 1-1-0, 4 GA, 47/51 .921%
                                Season: 5GP, 1-4-0, 13GA, 110/123 .894%, 2.65 GAA
                                Trent Vogelhuber (Evansville IceMen - ECHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 4 GP, 2A, 2PTS, 2 SOG, (+/-) +1, 2PIM
                                Season: 5GP, 2A, 2PTS, 2 SOG, (+/-) +2, 2 PIM
                                Will Weber (Evansville IceMen - ECHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2 GP, (+/-) - 3, 4 PIM
                                Season: 2 GP, (+/-) - 3, 4 PIM
                                Vincent Loverde (Ontario Reign - ECHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2GP, 5 SOG, (+/-) -1, 7 PIM
                                Season: 8GP, 3G (2 PPG), 3PTS, 20 SOG, (+/-) -2, 9 PIM
                                Alden Hirschfeld (South Carolina Stingrays - ECHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 3 GP, A, 1PT, 7 SOG, (+/-) +2, 4 PIM
                                Season: 7GP, 2G (1 PPG), 1A, 3PTS, 18 SOG, (+/-) +2, 4 PIM

Charlie Effinger (Fort Wayne Komets - ECHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 1 GP, 1-0-0, SO, 43/43 1.000%
                                Season: 2 GP, 1-1-0, 4 GA, 64/68 .941%, 2.40 GAA
                                Cody Reichard (Stockton Thunder - ECHL)
                                Season: 1GP, 1-0-0, 4 GA, 26/30 .867%, 4.00 GAA

Brandon Smith (Missouri Mavericks - CHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: GP, SOG, (+/-) +1
                                Season: 3GP, 4 SOG, (+/-) Even, 2 PIM
                                Gary Steffes (Tulsa Oilers - CHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 3 GP, 2G, 3A, 5TPS, 10 SOG, (+/-) +4, 2 PIM
                                Season: 5GP, 3G, 4A, 7PTS, 13 SOG, (+/-) +5, 2 PIM
                                Nino Musitelli (Allen Americans -CHL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2 GP, 6 SOG, (+/-) -1
                                Season: 2 GP, 6 SOG, (+/-) -1

Alec Martinez (TPS Turku - SM-Iiiga)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2 GP, A, 1PT, (+/-) -1
                                Season: 8GP, A, 1PT, (+/-) -2, 6 PIM
                                Matt Tomassoni (Iserlohn Roosters - DEL)
                                Week of 10/22/12 - 10/28/12: 2GP, (+/-) - 3
                                Season: 11GP, 1G, 2A, 3PTS, (+/-) -4, 14 PIM
                                Last edited by SweeneyHawksHockey; 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM.
                                2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Working...
                                X