Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2012-13 Miami Season Thread: Baby boom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2012-13 Miami Season Thread: Baby boom!

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
    Is he for sure injured? It was weird seeing him on the fourth line and we thought maybe he was just in a slump
    Hmm... well maybe the fact that I thought he didn't play is indicative of his impact lately. I was just watching the guys warm up yesterday and trying to think who Doherty (who I had never really heard of before) would be replacing.

Edit: Checked the box score, no Mullin.
    Last edited by fellowes; 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Good night for Williams, first college shutout. But credit to the defense, limiting them to 13 shots, another solid 5 point weekend for Miami.

You would have to think with a bye week coming up that McKay has to be ready to get back out there, Williams has been solid but I'm eager to see the return of the rotation.

Comment

Looks to me like the first three lines are starting to find some chemistry, tons of shots tonight, the MSU goalie kept it close. Hopefully the younger guys (especially on D) can continue to improve with every game. Wideman is quietly on fire btw, Im thinking Miele by the time he's a senior.
        Scalp On, My Friends

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan Of Scalp View Post
          Wideman is quietly on fire btw, Im thinking Miele by the time he's a senior.
          He certainly is playing well, but if anybody is the heir to Andy Miele, I think we have to look no further than the Czar.

Now I'm enjoying a beer and Minnesota/Wisconsin on BTN, fights everywhere, great for a neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
            He certainly is playing well, but if anybody is the heir to Andy Miele, I think we have to look no further than the Czar.

Now I'm enjoying a beer and Minnesota/Wisconsin on BTN, fights everywhere, great for a neutral.
            I agree. Czar first, Barber second , then little Wide.

We are playing way better than I thought or hoped we would be at this stage of the season. With CCHA looking pretty even, who knows???
            "It's a great day for hockey" - Badger Bob Johnson

MIAMI of OHIO - maybe this year

Comment

a couple of thoughts after this weekend:

1. AC simply has an insane instinct on the ice. couple that with his jedi-like hands and you get truly enjoyable hockey.

2. Williams has ice-water in his veins when it comes to the shootout. what is he now, 3 for 3? very much gets us beyond the hesitation that i had regarding the transition of senior tandem/trio-to-freshman tandem.

this might be my most critical of the day:

3. *** is wrong with the fans in Oxford, Ohio?! i watched on Friday via MUAA, and was absolutely appalled at how bored all of the students and adults looked. I never remember there being such apathetic fans standing there with their arms folded. even the choreographed chants barely came over the broadcast. Yo, *********s! you don't go to the hockey game to "jump around" for 20 seconds and look pretty! if you actually like hockey or want to chant or cheer (i.e. make the rink miserable for the opposing team), then leave. you're keeping an ACTUAL hockey fan from enjoying the game.

That is all.
              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                3. *** is wrong with the fans in Oxford, Ohio?! i watched on Friday via MUAA, and was absolutely appalled at how bored all of the students and adults looked. I never remember there being such apathetic fans standing there with their arms folded. even the choreographed chants barely came over the broadcast. Yo, *********s! you don't go to the hockey game to "jump around" for 20 seconds and look pretty! if you actually like hockey or want to chant or cheer (i.e. make the rink miserable for the opposing team), then leave. you're keeping an ACTUAL hockey fan from enjoying the game.
                Miami needs a devoted student section organization (official or not) that is tasked with generating energy and developing/innovating the chants. Red Alert could theoretically take on this responsibility, but I think it would be more effective to have either a completely new hockey-focused group or at least a subgroup created within Red Alert. It was fine when hockey success was the new thing on campus, but now it's expected and the fans grow complacent. There needs to be a concerted effort to reinvigorate the gameday atmosphere.
                Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                  I agree to an extent, but from the two home games I have been able to get to this season, the one saving grace is that the student section appears to be full well before the game starts. Last season (my senior year), student attendance seemed patchy to say the least. We would fill up the barn for OSU or UM, but for a low-enthusiasm conference game the place would be 75% full on a good day, and that's after the first period.

So yea, the current students could use a bit of an enthusiasm boost, but at least they are showing up in better numbers (based on nothing more than personal observation).

Comment

I agree to an extent, but from the two home games I have been able to get to this season, the one saving grace is that the student section appears to be full well before the game starts. Last season (my senior year), student attendance seemed patchy to say the least. We would fill up the barn for OSU or UM, but for a low-enthusiasm conference game the place would be 75% full on a good day, and that's after the first period.

So yea, the current students could use a bit of an enthusiasm boost, but at least they are showing up in better numbers (based on nothing more than personal observation).
                    I think that the attendance this year has been much better because of our home record. Last year we lost our opener to Bemidji and that didn't do any good in retaining first time attendees.

The game day atmosphere has been on a steady decline since the graduation of the 09, 10 and 11 classes. There is a desperate need for innovation in the student section and the whole game day operations. It gets so repetitive. Same chants, same arena songs, same everything. I might as well use this post to make all my suggestions.
                    1. Get rid of the Red Alert Priority seating. In fact, get rid of Red Alert. Red Alert does have some of the most passionate fans but they are a useless organization. It drives me crazy when there are empty balcony seats and people leave games because of the lack of seating. Seriously, what good does the organization do? What is the point of the club?
                    2. Make a new organization specific for hockey. Goggin should be the toughest place to play in the country. How many other schools have the students right on the glass? Blue line to Blue line? I've never seen a similar construction. A little organization could go a long way for getting under other teams skin. Find out personal things about the goalie, taunt him, make signs etc..
                    3. GET RID OF THE SEXUAL INNUENDO CHEERS. We're not in ****ing middle school.
                    4. I ****ing hate the frat bro's. Not all members of the greek community because I know many of them that come to games and are normal human beings. The ones I am talking about show up 20 minutes before puck drop and feel like the are entitled to the best seats because it's their annual event. They dress like its an alabama football game and make it a point not to wear any school colors because school spirit isn't frat. They don't stand during the game because that would mean that are part of the student body and then they leave in the middle of the second period... I should organize thousands of people to go to POTH and obnoxiously leave during the middle of the most important part.

I could go on but Goggin should be the toughest place to play in the country. Right now, student interest is high but if they are not a fan of the sport there is absolutely nothing to engage them. Maybe the new athletic director will make student engagement a priority.

Comment

I should organize thousands of people to go to POTH and obnoxiously leave during the middle of the most important part.
                      No way anyone assigns value to different parts of POTH. Too frat to care bro, too frat to care.

Comment

I think that the attendance this year has been much better because of our home record. Last year we lost our opener to Bemidji and that didn't do any good in retaining first time attendees.
                        That's a good point.

1. Get rid of the Red Alert Priority seating. In fact, get rid of Red Alert. Red Alert does have some of the most passionate fans but they are a useless organization. It drives me crazy when there are empty balcony seats and people leave games because of the lack of seating. Seriously, what good does the organization do? What is the point of the club?
                        I agree. Though I get that the fees from Red Alert are important for some purpose, I just don't see an actual purpose for this organization beyond a glorified seat-reserving service.

2. Make a new organization specific for hockey. Goggin should be the toughest place to play in the country. How many other schools have the students right on the glass? Blue line to Blue line? I've never seen a similar construction. A little organization could go a long way for getting under other teams skin. Find out personal things about the goalie, taunt him, make signs etc..
                        You're still at Miami, right? Honestly, you should do it. I would be right there with you if I was still on campus. Start a club, talk to somebody in ASG, at least see what the interest would be.

3. GET RID OF THE SEXUAL INNUENDO CHEERS. We're not in ****ing middle school.
                        I'm indifferent on this one. At least it's something.

4. I ****ing hate the frat bro's. Not all members of the greek community because I know many of them that come to games and are normal human beings. The ones I am talking about show up 20 minutes before puck drop and feel like the are entitled to the best seats because it's their annual event. They dress like its an alabama football game and make it a point not to wear any school colors because school spirit isn't frat. They don't stand during the game because that would mean that are part of the student body and then they leave in the middle of the second period... I should organize thousands of people to go to POTH and obnoxiously leave during the middle of the most important part.

Are these officially sanctioned events or just a group of guys who made a facebook event for their frat or something?

Comment

Are these officially sanctioned events or just a group of guys who made a facebook event for their frat or something?
                          Officially sanctioned - given wristbands beforehand. On the upside they moved them a section over outside the zone. In the past they had always gotten section where I used to sit. /rageface

I'm just happy with the crowds coming back. The slow starts to the last couple season seemed to kill freshman intrest really quickly and we didn't gain a dedicated following in either of those groups. If this freshman crop keeps showing up they will get more comfortable, more knowledgeable and within a year or two Goggin will be back to where it was. I think.

Comment

The topic of a seeming decline in gameday energy on campus is definitely tangible and the general lack of sports culture at Miami has actually always been unfortunate in my eyes.

So why not go on a rant.

Attendance is def way up from last year, at least for now while we continue to win at home. There were games last year where it was very patchy, but now if you don't show up early enough there is a realistic chance you wont have a seat. Also, most (not all-insert frat bros, dumb blonde behind us who questions whether or not there is actually strategy involved in hockey) of the fans that do show up really understand the game and represent our school as a knowledgable fan base.
                            As a result, the naturally exciting, suspenseful portions of the game are really loud and you can feel the energy (the past few overtimes/shootouts have been as loud as ever). But, at all other times during the game, like when we go a period without a goal or exciting power play or something, the atmosphere is severely lacking (folks standing arms crossed, complacent). Also the point about redundancy is significant, same in-house songs, same routines. I'm all for keeping the classic chants/procedures but other stuff needs to change with the times.

The overwhelming problem here is that everything is much easier said than done, especially coming from the 10 or 12 of us true college hockey fans who are capable of recognizing these issues and be inclined to do something about it. The vast majority of the students that show up at Goggin probably couldn't tell you who is leading the CCHA right now let alone identify what the acronym stands for or know how a system like the pairwise works.

I would love more than anything for Saturdays during a home weekend in Oxford to have a fraction of what an Ohio State experiences with football.
                            It's simply nieve to think that an evolution to that level of sports culture is possible here.
                            Also, I'm not convinced that the few of us still here on campus could do much in the way of overthrowing Red Alert in favor of a more focused Pro-Hockey Spirit organization, or to alter the success of fan base engagement during games.
                            It's not a change that can happen overnight or even in one season but at least as long as Rico is at the wheel, I think our team as a top ten college hockey program is here to stay. God knows Treadwell isn't making progress with the football anytime soon (losing to BG, Buffalo and Central Mich). So it would be a shame if the culture continues to decline in favor of Greek life.

As an aside, I admit to a considerable amount of bias on the subject as hockey is by far my favorite sport, and Iv'e never been fond of most of the Greek behaviors/standards at this school which, combined, results in my general dissatisfaction. Also, I think the atmosphere at Goggin is still one of a kind and something to be desired by most other venues in NCAA hockey. So, I'll keep going to the games and feeding the obnoxious trumpet player his letters for the dildo chant. I'll smh at the repetitive song choices. I'll keep reading, analyzing and venting with the rest of us on this feed. But I'll most likely continue to enjoy myself and hope that somehow an incredibly young, but incredibly talented group of players can find their way to a Frozen Four.

I should be a columnist for The Student or something, maybe that would get the word out.
                            Last edited by Sultan Of Scalp; 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM.
                            Scalp On, My Friends

Comment

Weekly Alumni Update:

Pat Cannone (Binghamton Senators - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, 1G, 1A, 2PTS, 3 SOG, (+/-) +3
                              Season: 13 GP, 2G, 2A, 4PT, 21 SOG (+/-) +3, 6 PIM
                              Chris Wideman (Binghamton Senators - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, (+/-) -2, 2 PIM
                              Season: 6GP, 8 SOG, (+/-) -5, 4 PIM
                              Cameron Schilling (Hershey Bears - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, A, 1PT, 5 SOG, (+/-) -1, 2 PIM
                              Season: 14 GP, 1G, 3A, 4PTS, 14 SOG, (+/-) +3, 12 PIM
                              Jarod Palmer (Houston Aeros - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: DNP
                              Season: 4GP, 1A, 1PT, 5 SOG, (+/-) +1, 5 PIM
                              Vincent LoVerde (Manchester Monarchs - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 3GP, SOG, (+/-) -1
                              Season: 4GP, SOG, (+/-) Even
                              Andy Miele (Portland Pirates - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 3GP, 5 SOG, (+/-) +1
                              Season: 14GP, 5G (2 PPG) , 6A, 11PTS, 22 SOG, (+/-) +5, 6 PIM
                              Carter Camper (Providence Bruins - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 3GP, G (PPG), 1PT, 5 SOG, (+/-) -2
                              Season: 14GP, 3G (3PPG), 4A, 7PTS, 29 SOG, (+/-) -9, 2 PIM
                              Alden Hirschfeld (Providence Bruins - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 1GP, (+/-) Even
                              Season: 1GP, (+/-) Even
                              Justin Vaive (San Antonio Rampage - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 4GP, A, 1PT, SOG, (+/-) +1, 6 PIM
                              Season: 13GP, A, 1PT, 4 SOG, (+/-) -2, 10 PIM
                              Will Weber (Springfield Falcons - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, (+/-) +1, 2 PIM
                              Season: 2GP, (+/-) +1, 2 PIM
                              Reilly Smith (Texas Stars - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, 4 SOG, (+/-) Even, 4 PIM
                              Season: 13GP, 3A, 3PTS, 28 SOG, (+/-) Even, 10 PIM

Connor Knapp (Rochester Americans - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 1GP, 0-1-0, 3GA, 18/21 .857
                              Season: 2GP, 0-2-0, 7GA, 48/55 .873%, 3.57 GAA
                              Jeff Zatkoff (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins - AHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, 2-0-0, 2GA, 44/46, .957%
                              Season: 11GP, 6-5-0, 20GA, 2 SO, 274/294 .932%, 1.82 GAA

Trent Vogelhuber (Evansville IceMen - ECHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 3GP, G (SHG), 1PT, 6 SOG, (+/-) Even, 4 PIM
                              Season: 14GP, 3G (SHG), 4A, 7PTS, 18 SOG, (+/-) +1, 12 PIM
                              Alden Hirschfeld (South Carolina Stingrays - ECHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 1GP, A, 1PT, (+/-) Even
                              Season: 15GP, 4G (1 PPG), 4A, 8PTS, 29 SOG, (+/-) -1, 6 PIM

Charlie Effinger (Fort Wayne Komets - ECHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 1 GP, 0-1-1, 5 GA, 22/27 .815%
                              Season: 7 GP, 4-3-0, 21 GA, 172/193 .891%, 3.63 GAA
                              Cody Reichard (Stockton Thunder - ECHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: DNP
                              Season: 3GP, 2-1-0, 9 GA, 72/81 .889%, 3.00 GAA

Brandon Smith (Missouri Mavericks - CHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2 GP, SOG, (+/-) -2
                              Season: 10GP, G, 2A, 3 PTS, 12 SOG, (+/-) -4, 4 PIM
                              Gary Steffes (Tulsa Oilers - CHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 2GP, G, A, 2PTS, 8 SOG, (+/-) -3
                              Season: 14GP, 7G, 8A, 15PTS, 39 SOG, (+/-) +4, 27 PIM
                              Nino Musitelli (Allen Americans -CHL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 3GP, G, 1PT, 8 SOG, (+/-) -2, 8 PIM
                              Season: 10 GP,G, 2A, 3PTS, 25 SOG, (+/-) -4, 8 PIM

Alec Martinez (TPS Turku - SM-Iiiga)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: DNP (Injured)
                              Season: 11GP, G, A, 2PT, (+/-) +2, 8 PIM
                              Matt Tomassoni (Iserlohn Roosters - DEL)
                              Week of 11/12/12 - 11/18/12: 1GP, (+/-) Even
                              Season: 14GP, 3G, 2A, 5PTS, (+/-) -2, 16 PIM
                              2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan Of Scalp View Post
                                Also, I'm not convinced that the few of us still here on campus could do much in the way of overthrowing Red Alert in favor of a more focused Pro-Hockey Spirit organization, or to alter the success of fan base engagement during games.
                                This is probably true and it may be more realistic to try to work within the system, creating a hockey-focused subgroup within Red Alert. A good way to at least test the waters would be to reach out to the current leadership of Red Alert. I would have to imagine that if they have devoted fans reaching out and offering to help take the lead on this, they would be willing to support it. I would also imagine that quite a few rabid student hockey fans, though otherwise completely uninterested in Red Alert, would be willing to get on board if they had the opportunity to be a part of shaping the hockey gameday atmosphere.

If Red Alert is completely unresponsive, though, there's nothing stopping you guys from getting together and starting a new, independent hockey fan organization. You don't have to "overthrow" Red Alert... just do your own thing. Start by recruiting some of the hardcore hockey fans, open up a Facebook group, make t-shirts and signs, and try to grow it slowly but steadily. Maybe 10 years from now you'll be explaining to some youngsters about how you founded the .

All of that aside, it is definitely clear from the video feed that, as you have all mentioned, the turnout is back where it should be. Just gotta keep the attention of the freshmen long enough to convert them from bandwagoners to true hockey fans.
                                Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Working...
                                X