Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUNY Canton Has Hired a New Head Coach

It's getting serious over at SUNY Canton

SUNY Canton has hired former Hobart College Assistant Coach Carl Michaelson as its new head men’s ice hockey coach. In addition to his extensive coaching experience, Michaelson also played professional hockey for five years and is a former NCAA Division III college hockey standout.

"Carl's playing and coaching experience make him an ideal choice to become our men's hockey coach," said Athletic Director Randy Sieminski. "He has worked with SUNY Canton Alumnus Mark Taylor for the past three seasons at Hobart, and Mark is one of the most well respected college hockey coaches in the nation. Carl has proven to be an exceptional recruiter and coach, and we're excited to have him lead our hockey team in their first year competing against top level NCAA D3 teams."

Michaelson brings an impressive coaching and playing résumé to SUNY Canton after a successful stint at Hobart College, one of the premier Division III hockey programs in the country. He served as an assistant coach with the Statesmen for the past three years and recruited and coached several all-Americans, all-League Players and league Rookies of the Year. Michaelson was a member of the coaching staff that won the program’s second ECAC West Championship.

In addition to coaching at Hobart, Michaelson has served as owner and operator of Westlake Hockey Development, established in Montreal, Canada. The program is currently operating in the Cree Nation of Mistissini, a native reservation located in the James Bay Region of the Province of Quebec.

As a player, Michaelson lettered for four years at Hobart earning a bachelor’s of arts degree in economics. On the ice, he served as a captain or assistant captain throughout his career and led the Statesmen to their first ever ECAC West Championship and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. In addition to playing in college, Michaelson played professional hockey overseas in France and Belgium, a short stint in the Unites States with the Fort Wayne Komets in the United Hockey League.

“It is with great pride and enthusiasm that I enter SUNY Canton as its first head coach participating in the NCAA,” said Michaelson. “The pride is in the great history established through its former players and past coaches. They all have a piece of this fantastic growth we are experiencing today, and I am thankful to them. My enthusiasm is in the direction of the University as a whole. My mentor Mark Taylor has prepared me for this day, and I could not be more grateful. I look forward to leading this program into the future in DIII College hockey.”

Michaelson and the Roos open their 2012-13 season on the road at NCAA Division III Fredonia State University on October 19. The Roos will also face Division III opponents SUNY Geneseo, Wesleyan College, Trinity College, Connecticut College, and Tufts University as well as NCAA Division II opponents Assumption College, Stonehill College, St. Michael’s College, Franklin Pierce University and Southern New Hampshire.

Re: SUNY Canton Has Hired a New Head Coach

Originally posted by radiox View Post
    It's getting serious over at SUNY Canton

SUNY Canton has hired former Hobart College Assistant Coach Carl Michaelson as its new head men’s ice hockey coach. In addition to his extensive coaching experience, Michaelson also played professional hockey for five years and is a former NCAA Division III college hockey standout.

"Carl's playing and coaching experience make him an ideal choice to become our men's hockey coach," said Athletic Director Randy Sieminski. "He has worked with SUNY Canton Alumnus Mark Taylor for the past three seasons at Hobart, and Mark is one of the most well respected college hockey coaches in the nation. Carl has proven to be an exceptional recruiter and coach, and we're excited to have him lead our hockey team in their first year competing against top level NCAA D3 teams."

Michaelson brings an impressive coaching and playing résumé to SUNY Canton after a successful stint at Hobart College, one of the premier Division III hockey programs in the country. He served as an assistant coach with the Statesmen for the past three years and recruited and coached several all-Americans, all-League Players and league Rookies of the Year. Michaelson was a member of the coaching staff that won the program’s second ECAC West Championship.

In addition to coaching at Hobart, Michaelson has served as owner and operator of Westlake Hockey Development, established in Montreal, Canada. The program is currently operating in the Cree Nation of Mistissini, a native reservation located in the James Bay Region of the Province of Quebec.

As a player, Michaelson lettered for four years at Hobart earning a bachelor’s of arts degree in economics. On the ice, he served as a captain or assistant captain throughout his career and led the Statesmen to their first ever ECAC West Championship and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. In addition to playing in college, Michaelson played professional hockey overseas in France and Belgium, a short stint in the Unites States with the Fort Wayne Komets in the United Hockey League.

“It is with great pride and enthusiasm that I enter SUNY Canton as its first head coach participating in the NCAA,” said Michaelson. “The pride is in the great history established through its former players and past coaches. They all have a piece of this fantastic growth we are experiencing today, and I am thankful to them. My enthusiasm is in the direction of the University as a whole. My mentor Mark Taylor has prepared me for this day, and I could not be more grateful. I look forward to leading this program into the future in DIII College hockey.”

Michaelson and the Roos open their 2012-13 season on the road at NCAA Division III Fredonia State University on October 19. The Roos will also face Division III opponents SUNY Geneseo, Wesleyan College, Trinity College, Connecticut College, and Tufts University as well as NCAA Division II opponents Assumption College, Stonehill College, St. Michael’s College, Franklin Pierce University and Southern New Hampshire.
    They also hop on twin match-ups with former ECAC-West powerhouse LVC in January.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

they need to change their nickname

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
        And hop to it!
        LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Unfortunately, Roos can not go backwards - only forward
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

The Kangaroos is new! They just changed in 2007. From 1995 to 2007 they were the Northstars, prior to that the Northmen.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              The Kangaroos is new! They just changed in 2007. From 1995 to 2007 they were the Northstars, prior to that the Northmen.
              I like it
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                I like it
                If they every join the SUNYAC, I can't wait for the following headline: "Marauding Marsupials Manhandle Morrisville"
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And if they do, you're going to have to pick me up off the floor.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    If they every join the SUNYAC, I can't wait for the following headline: "Marauding Marsupials Manhandle Morrisville"
                    I'm still betting on the ECAC West.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      I'm still betting on the ECAC West.
                      If the SUNYAC has (or gets to) 10 teams at the time they were to apply; I think their chances would be nil. I do think they are is a significant desire to have a even number of teams - despite the lack of success of potential "associate members". Also their location in relation to the geological center of the SUNYAC Hockey Schools will be a strong draw.
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Id like to keep the number of SUNYAC teams down at 9, i enjoy our tough OOC schedule. I'd hate to have to drop 2 OOC teams/games... We still need to find room for Norwich
                        http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                          Id like to keep the number of SUNYAC teams down at 9, i enjoy our tough OOC schedule. I'd hate to have to drop 2 OOC teams/games... We still need to find room for Norwich
                          I agree with you, but I am not sure the SUNYAC pencil pushers do.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

According to my sources, the SUNYAC conference is very interested in SUNY Canton joining for hockey. It would be logical to add them for hockey, the rest of their sports programs....I'm not so sure. Only time will tell....
                            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                              According to my sources, the SUNYAC conference is very interested in SUNY Canton joining for hockey. It would be logical to add them for hockey, the rest of their sports programs....I'm not so sure. Only time will tell....
                              I seem to remember reading that they already have a conference for most of their sports, so they have no interest in the SUNYAC as full members. I still think that the ECAC West would be motivated to make a strong pitch to get up to seven members (and leave the WIAC as a totally useless appendage to the world of DIII hockey ). With the WIAC coming in next year at 5 teams, it will add back in the Pool B "auto bid" for the ECAC West, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X