This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2012-2013 - Locked, Loaded, And Ready To Roar <<<<<

The leaves are falling off the trees faster than you can rake them up. The lawn mower is all ready to be put away, and the plowing contract has been signed. Minor league training camps are starting up, and the NHL is locked out. Sounds to me like its time to start up the Tigers 2012-2013 thread.

Here's to the promise of a new season, may it be safe, healthy, and enjoyable for fans and players alike.

Drop the puck already!!!!!!!!!
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2012-2013 - Locked, Loaded, And Ready To Roar <<<<<

So.. anyone know how to watch the Michigan games? I'm not sure if they'll be on B10 Sports and I know AmericaOne isn't showing them.
    RIT Tigers

Comment

I don't know of any TV available, either via cable or online.

It may be a small consolation, but we'll have those games and the entire RIT schedule on WITR 89.7 and streaming at http://witr.rit.edu/. We kick off our 31st consecutive season of broadcasting RIT hockey this Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
        The leaves are falling off the trees faster than you can rake them up. The lawn mower is all ready to be put away, and the plowing contract has been signed. Minor league training camps are starting up, and the NHL is locked out. Sounds to me like its time to start up the Tigers 2012-2013 thread.

Here's to the promise of a new season, may it be safe, healthy, and enjoyable for fans and players alike.

Drop the puck already!!!!!!!!!
        Your leaves are falling that fast already? Must be nice. My Red Maple is the only one that seems to be dropping any at all (Maples and Silver Maples are still Green). I can just see those freezing cold late Sunday afternoons in mid-November trying to get the leaves all up before the frostbite sets in.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

A couple of things I am looking for tonight in the exhibition:

1. Special teams. The power play seems to be a sore spot for RIT the last couple years. Either some creativity is needed, or just plain better execution. I think it is a big part of the Tiger's seeming offensive woes lately.

2. Defense. A lot of experience was lost on the blue line. Now some guys who were second and third pairing will need to step it up.

3. Goalies. Will one make an early impression tonight?

4. Freshmen. I want to see which ones are getting first crack at top lines and which are set for 3rd and fourth line duty.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Let's hope the Gee Gee's spank the Golden Griffins

Comment

Couple thoughts on tonight - yeah I know it's the U of Ottawa but 8 goals by 8 different players is a nice offensive start. Some real good young talent on offense, Miller and J. Mitchell looked real good. Hamburg started a little slow but he showed he knows how to finish when given the opportunity and his passing and hockey sense is at a higher level than your average player. Maclean looked real quick in net, his reflexes and attentiveness was noticeable. The power play looked good, the Tigers impressively moved the puck around and scored I think three power play goals. Things seem different this year, but in a good way with as many new players that we have. Some veterans looked very sharp, Hartley was all over the place and hustling hard, Garbowsky of course as always and saracino on defense, he needs to stay healthy he is our best! Next weekend will really give a good measure of where the Tigers are at this year.

Comment

Originally posted by unscarred76 View Post
                Couple thoughts on tonight - yeah I know it's the U of Ottawa but 8 goals by 8 different players is a nice offensive start. Some real good young talent on offense, Miller and J. Mitchell looked real good. Hamburg started a little slow but he showed he knows how to finish when given the opportunity and his passing and hockey sense is at a higher level than your average player. Maclean looked real quick in net, his reflexes and attentiveness was noticeable. The power play looked good, the Tigers impressively moved the puck around and scored I think three power play goals. Things seem different this year, but in a good way with as many new players that we have. Some veterans looked very sharp, Hartley was all over the place and hustling hard, Garbowsky of course as always and saracino on defense, he needs to stay healthy he is our best! Next weekend will really give a good measure of where the Tigers are at this year.
                I agree with a lot of this. J Mitchell didn't really stand out to me, but Miller looked good. Hamburg didn't seem to live up to his billing as a draft pick until, as you stated, later in the game. He looked like the best player out there at times, and his snipe was a beauty.

Powerplay did look better than it has been, but I would still not call it good. We scored on the first one, but didn't really do much after that. The goals in garbage time on the 5 minute major don't really count to me. Ottawa had already checked out of the game, and their backup goalie was maybe the worst I've seen at Ritter in the last couple years.

Potts looks like he has all the tools to continue his breakout year from the early efforts last year before he got hurt. I think having Potts healthy will do a lot of good for our offense and, dare I say, with our other offensive tools I think we are going to put up big numbers this year.

I thought Watson looked a little bad all night, honestly. There were a few plays where he looked out of position and was saved by either a last minute defensive play or Ottawa simply not getting the puck on net. He looked, I don't know...slow? Slow I think is the right word. His one goal easily could have been two if the puck he completely whiffed on hadn't caught the post.

MacLean however looked really, really good. His style reminds me a lot of Madolora's, although maybe that's just me. He was very quick and never got himself into any trouble. I know he's bottom man on the totem poll but I'm curious to see if his effort tonight helps him grab a few starts here or there and maybe challenge for the starting role, which I strongly believe has not been handed to Watson.
                RIT

Comment

I have to mention first the most obvious new Tiger, a more svelte Nolan Descoteaux. Did he lose 20-25 pounds? I hope it makes him quicker, because it didn't help him avoid the first pealty of the year. Andy Miller impressed, plain and simple, and Hamburg's skill set is easy to see. I have high hopes for both. The other freshman played well in their first game, and considering there are only 3 seniors on the roster, this portends well for the future. I also note Schuler's aggressive play, and hustle. I originally thought that MacLean was "only the third goalie", but was I wrong. He played well, seemed quick, agile, and positioned himself well. The goal against, and the shot off the crossbar were defensive lapses to me, and overall I thought Watson played well. All-in-all a good night for RIT. By the way, is a Gee-Gee anything like a Hoya?

Comment

One thing I noticed is that the Tigers were able to get people in front of the net. A lot of the time the last year or two, the Tigers were not able/willing to try and plant someone near the goalie to grab rebounds and such. I noticed that we had defensemen cutting in, and players more in that area.
                    2010 Frozen Four participant

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by ken66 View Post
                      By the way, is a Gee-Gee anything like a Hoya?
                      According to Wikipedia: "The term "Gee-Gee" is taken from horse racing where a Gee-Gee is the first horse out of the starting gate. The name GGs also describes the university colours, garnet and grey. For many years, the team was known as the Garnet and Grey (French: Grenat et Gris); the name Gee-Gees was chosen to appeal to both francophone and anglophone fans of this bilingual university."
                      2010 Frozen Four/National Semi-Finalists!
                      2011 (Dec) Catamount Cup Champions!

Comment

So, RIT completely dismantled Ottawa. Frankly they looked like a D3 team.

Today, they cruised past Canisius 5-2.

Im not sure if that means RIT is that good or Canisius is that bad. Either way im happy.
                        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                          So, RIT completely dismantled Ottawa. Frankly they looked like a D3 team.

Today, they cruised past Canisius 5-2.

Im not sure if that means RIT is that good or Canisius is that bad. Either way im happy.
                          I think the score is a bit misleading:

Canisius played all three of their goalies, including Freshman Adam Harris (#29) in the 3rd period.

One goal was an empty net goal and 3 of the remaining 4 Ottawa goals were scored in the 3rd period against the freshman goalie Harris.

What I think is more telling is Canisius' lack of offense against a pretty weak defensive team like Ottawa. RIT had 8 goals on 45 SOG (17.78%) compared to 2 on 27 (7.47%) for Canisius
                          RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                            I think the score is a bit misleading:

Canisius played all three of their goalies, including Freshman Adam Harris (#29) in the 3rd period.

One goal was an empty net goal and 3 of the remaining 4 Ottawa goals were scored in the 3rd period against the freshman goalie Harris.

What I think is more telling is Canisius' lack of offense against a pretty weak defensive team like Ottawa. RIT had 8 goals on 45 SOG (17.78%) compared to 2 on 27 (7.47%) for Canisius
                            Somewhat misleading, yes. However, the game was 2-1 Canisius at the end of the 2nd period. RIT was winning 5-1 at the same time in the game last night. It's hard to say without having seen the game, but I suspect that this means Ottawa was able to play with Canisius for the entire game. Against RIT they were frequently beaten to the puck, knocked off the puck, and generally manhandled. RIT did not really give them any room to breath.
                            RIT

Comment

Not a Tigers fan,but hope that you guys have a successful year!,you Tigers fans,from what I've seen so far are a really great dedicated bunch,good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X