X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2013/2014 - Third year in Oz

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
    Next year with this team in the Big Ten , the schedule will be alot tougher that's for sure.
    I dunno, the worst two teams in the ccha aren't really much to worry about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      I dunno, the worst two teams in the ccha aren't really much to worry about right now.
      One off year for Michigan in how many DECADES is not a reassurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        One off year for Michigan in how many DECADES is not a reassurance.
        Agree with this. It's not like Michigan is going to be down every season. I think the same can be said for Michigan State. Both programs have too much history and tradition to allow themselves to be down for more than a season or two.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Agree with this. It's not like Michigan is going to be down every season. I think the same can be said for Michigan State. Both programs have too much history and tradition to allow themselves to be down for more than a season or two.
          Agreed. If Red were gone Michigan might go through a transition period where they won't be the same team for awhile but currently as far as we know Red will still be around.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
            I think the solution may be to build a 7K arena and put two ice sheets in it. They could play the less popular opponents (and the ones during football season) in the smaller building and move the more prominent series back to the Schott. They need the second ice sheet for the students, club team, etc.
            With a brand new conferece determining what series will be most prominant may take some years to determine. At this point you only have 5 other teams that you know for certain you will be playing every year.

Comment

With a brand new conferece determining what series will be most prominant may take some years to determine. At this point you only have 5 other teams that you know for certain you will be playing every year.
              From what i hear they are going to play Miami and BG every year but not sure if each will be a home and home or not but i do like them playing the instate rivals.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                From what i hear they are going to play Miami and BG every year but not sure if each will be a home and home or not but i do like them playing the instate rivals.
                I am glad to hear this. I was hoping they would keep these series going. These in-state rivalries should draw good crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  I keep hearing a Friday/Saturday home and home to open next season for Miami/OSU. I'm trying to remember if our assistant AD confirmed that when he was discussing our schedule on air a few weeks back. Either way, glad we're going to keep playing for the foreseeable future, that much he did confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                    I think the solution may be to build a 7K arena and put two ice sheets in it. They could play the less popular opponents (and the ones during football season) in the smaller building and move the more prominent series back to the Schott. They need the second ice sheet for the students, club team, etc.
                    This. I'd even go to 8k. But 2,000 more seats that are empty most of the time? No thanks. That's the same problem we're trying to get away from.

At 7-8k, my guess is that walk-up sales would be available for the vast majority of the schedule. And even if the "prominent" games aren't moved to the Schott, does the casual fan have some sort of entitlement to see Michigan on a walk-up basis? I say no. If ducats are available, great; if not, they should have planned ahead. Casual fans can "go with the flow" the rest of the season.

That's a point well taken. But building a new Ice Arena is likely years away. OSU should have this info in hand before binding decisions need to be made. So if the preliminary seating capacity turns out to be too pessimistic, there will be a chance to make adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                      This. I'd even go to 8k. But 2,000 more seats that are empty most of the time? No thanks. That's the same problem we're trying to get away from.

At 7-8k, my guess is that walk-up sales would be available for the vast majority of the schedule. And even if the "prominent" games aren't moved to the Schott, does the casual fan have some sort of entitlement to see Michigan on a walk-up basis? I say no. If ducats are available, great; if not, they should have planned ahead. Casual fans can "go with the flow" the rest of the season.
                      I think we would hover close to selling out a 10K arena with an NCAA-caliber program and a Big Ten/Miami/BG schedule. I don't see 2,000 empty seats at a mens game if we are putting a championship-caliber program on the ice. As for trying to get away from 2,000 empty seats, I would be thrilled if there were only 2,000 empty seats at games these days (LOL)! We're drawing 5,000 and change (on good nights) in a venue that holds 17,500 for hockey. I understand what you were saying, though. Having said all that, I would be fine with an 8,000 seat (minimum) arena. Anything less than that would be too small for Ohio State, IMHO.

Comment

One of the reasons I put the 10,000 seat number out there also has to do with demographics.
                        We already know we can sell that amount on a good weekend and average a higher regular attendance than we have in recent years when the team is doing well.
                        Central Ohio has showed steady growth and expansion and looking at the comparison between the 2000 & 2010 census Franklin County grew by nearly 100,000 people and neighboring Delaware County increased by nearly 57% and all other adjoining counties also had increases in population. We have a NHL team in Columbus with multiple ice rinks in the area and hockey is growing in popularity as a sport.
                        If you combine these and other factors we can see a constant increase in the likelihood that a 10,000 seat hockey arena can indeed be justified. If we build a new arena in say 4 years it would be only practical to make our capacity goals for a scale of growth of where our needs will be 10 years from now.
                        As I said here before, back in the day they said they would NEVER fill the Horseshoe if they built it that big!
                        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

One of the reasons I put the 10,000 seat number out there also has to do with demographics.
                          We already know we can sell that amount on a good weekend and average a higher regular attendance than we have in recent years when the team is doing well.
                          Central Ohio has showed steady growth and expansion and looking at the comparison between the 2000 & 2010 census Franklin County grew by nearly 100,000 people and neighboring Delaware County increased by nearly 57% and all other adjoining counties also had increases in population. We have a NHL team in Columbus with multiple ice rinks in the area and hockey is growing in popularity as a sport.
                          If you combine these and other factors we can see a constant increase in the likelihood that a 10,000 seat hockey arena can indeed be justified. If we build a new arena in say 4 years it would be only practical to make our capacity goals for a scale of growth of where our needs will be 10 years from now.
                          As I said here before, back in the day they said they would NEVER fill the Horseshoe if they built it that big!
                          You said it better than I did, and by that I am referring to your point about demographics and having the foresight to build an arena that may be perceived to have more seats than what we need at this time. I said earlier that I would be fine with 8,000 seats, but I would be thrilled if the powers that be at the university had the foresight to build a 10,000-seat hockey arena. I really believe if and when Coach Oz has this program winning the Big Ten Hockey Conference or going to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis, that we will come close to selling out a 10,000-seat arena for most games and sellout for some of them. Case in point, 10K+ are expected this weekend, and we are a 4th place team in the CCHA that is just .500 overall. We have drawn 8K - 9K in recent years vs Miami with a down program. When it comes to a new arena, I just think anything smaller than 8K would be extremely shortsighted. I realize Notre Dame and Penn State just built brand new arenas that seat 5K and 6K, but we have a much larger metropolitan area than those places, which I think warrants building a bigger arena than the 5K - 6K range.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            I realize Notre Dame and Penn State just built brand new arenas that seat 5K and 6K, but we have a much larger metropolitan area than those places, which I think warrants building a bigger arena than the 5K - 6K range.
                            Another point that may go along with what you said is what OTHER teams just did.
                            We're Ohio State, a leader in sports, why should WE settle to do what others have when we should always strive to do more than our competition?
                            Can I get some Buckeye Pride here? OH-

Comment

IO.

I love the passion, the enthusiasm and the optimism; I really do. But I sincerely think you guys are wrong. I just don't see the unlimited upside potential.

Everybody seems to agree that the current facility is too big. Let's say we went with 12,000 seats. Such a building certainly wouldn't come cheap. Much as I love hockey, the Department of Athletics has countless other demands on its resources. Who else besides Men's Hockey would use a building that size? And if it's too big and fancy, you're going to start hitting the "it's too expensive to turn on the lights and staff it" argument. Even Women's Hockey might be locked out on that basis.

If there really is unlimited upside potential for Men's Hockey, then we should keep the wallet closed and ride out the storm until we can fill the Schott. Why build something that's destined to become a white elephant?

Comparable Markets Argument: I get that Notre Dame and Penn State are located in smaller communities. But both of those schools are national sports brand names with huge fanbases. The comparison does have some merit.

Be that as it may, suppose the size of the local market really is the most important factor. So lets look at Denver. The City of Columbus is actually a little bigger than the City of Denver; 800k vs. 600k. But the Denver Metro area is significantly larger than Columbus, 3.2 million to 1.8 million. OK, the Denver numbers include Boulder. You could argue the Boulder portion should be dropped out of the total number. But by any measure the Denver Metro Area is the larger of the two. The winter sports culture is more entrenched there. They share their market with an NHL team, like we do. With all those things in mind, how big is Magness, built in the late '90s? Answer: 7,200 seats. That's the sweet spot, IMHO. By that I mean 7,200 would be a number that work fairly well right away, yet allow some room for growth up to Denver's size.

EDIT: Consider also that Denver's program is frequently on TV. Can't remember if they're on Fox Sports/Rocky Mountain or Altitude, but the point is the same either way. The Pioneers have also made a lot of noise nationally in the last decade. I'd be comfortable saying that Pioneer Hockey currently has a larger following than Buckeye Hockey. And yet DU finds the 7,200 size to be sufficient.

Bottom Line? With all due respect to everyone that favors a larger building, I think we're getting a little carried away because it's Michigan week. No question about it, the crowds of 10,000+ will be great. But soon enough we'll be playing October games again. The opponent won't be Michigan. And Buckeye Football will overwhelming dominate the local sports scene, as usual. 7,200 seats would accomodate those crowds with plenty of space to spare. IMHO.
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Bottom Line? With all due respect to everyone that favors a larger building, I think we're getting a little carried away because it's Michigan week. No question about it, the crowds of 10,000+ will be great. But soon enough we'll be playing October games again. The opponent won't be Michigan. And Buckeye Football will overwhelming dominate the local sports scene, as usual. 7,200 seats would accomodate those crowds with plenty of space to spare. IMHO.
                                I agree, and I stand by my original point that the Schott will be there if needed to accommodate the largest crowds. It would be nice to have a back-up arena that is bigger rather than one that is much smaller and shuts people out of attending.

Comment

Working...
                                X