This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State 2013/2014 - Third year in Oz

After taking it on the chin Friday night great bounceback tonight to pull out a huge split!

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      Really strange to see Michigan playing on the road at ohio this season and no return trip.
      Not a good thing, but not that unusual. The two schools aren't travel partners in the CCHA's "cluster system" of scheduling. In recent years that's meant only one series between the teams in most seasons.

That said, it is a shame there's no series at Yost this year. Yost is one of the truly great venues in college hockey. In our world it occupies a place comparable to Wrigley and Fenway. And of course it's always a pleasure to travel to eastern michigan.

That'll change next year.
      Indeed.

Comment

Cal Heeter Memorial Goalie Battle.

Round one definitely goes to Olson. It will be interesting this week to hear what the staff thinks of these performances. Curious as to whether the goals Hjelle let in were stoppable or can they be blamed on OSU playing horrid defense in the first game.

I realize it was the first game, but five penalties in a row in the second period!

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post

Round one definitely goes to Olson. It will be interesting this week to hear what the staff thinks of these performances. Curious as to whether the goals Hjelle let in were stoppable or can they be blamed on OSU playing horrid defense in the first game.

I realize it was the first game, but five penalties in a row in the second period!
          Looks like Olson played very well. When i looked at the score sheet and saw Desilvia and MacLean took the 2 penalties that led to the 2 goals why does it not surprise those to took holding calls? Now i didnt see the penalties but holding is usually a lazy penalty and those 2 guys were very lazy at times last year. Now getting a split from this series is great going forward now they should have some confidence going into next weeks series at Q. Will be very interesting to see how the coaches handle the goalie rotation next weekend. Do they keep the same rotation next week or start Olson on Friday? One week in the books improvement is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
            Looks like Olson played very well. When i looked at the score sheet and saw Desilvia and MacLean took the 2 penalties that led to the 2 goals why does it not surprise those to took holding calls? Now i didnt see the penalties but holding is usually a lazy penalty and those 2 guys were very lazy at times last year. Now getting a split from this series is great going forward now they should have some confidence going into next weeks series at Q. Will be very interesting to see how the coaches handle the goalie rotation next weekend. Do they keep the same rotation next week or start Olson on Friday? One week in the books improvement is the key.
            I've thought for awhile now that Desilva hasn't been agressive enough. With his size he should be knocking opposing players on there as* all game long and giving out punishing hits but I haven't really seen it out of him.
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

If we do well at Quinnipiac next weekend I wonder how well it will help us in the polls? We need a good showing in more than a few games to break into the rankings and Quinnipiac is a ranked team with a 4-0 record so far.

Comment

I watched the game last night. The Ohio State had a nice response from the night before. Olson was very good in helping kill 5 consecutive penalties in the second period. DaSilva got a holding the stick call, both referees saw it and called it immediately, McLeans penalty possibly prevented a goal as UMD was buzzing and he took a guy out of the play.
                Gedig-McLean started and played a lot of minutes as did the two freshman Dalrymple and Jardine paired together. DaSilva and his
                partner Martell did'nt seem to play as much. Defense looked solid. After OSU took the lead UMD really didnt have many good scoring chances, D kept them to the outside and the forwards did s good job of clearing pucks.
                Pretty impressive to come back and get a win.

Comment

The key this season will be consistancy. That's what has been eluding this team for years under the previous and present coach. Oz has 3 classes with his recruits and a large sophmore class with a year under their belts of his coaching. If we see that consistancy this will be the year for it to happen if OZ is what we hope him to be. BTW, I was referring to a consistancy of winning.

Comment

It was good to see the Bucks get a split with the pressure on saturday night.

Friday nights game was ugly. Deer in the head lights & too many players in the sin bin. The only effort I saw at the game was in the second period. The Bulldogs " SCHOOLED " the Buckeyes in the 1st & 3rd period. I was so dam I was ready to throw my Passport on the ice!!!! EH.

Saturday nights game was AWESOME. The Buckeyes come out & played some good hockey. They killed off a 5:00 Major & that was huge. There teamwork was 100%. This is the fastest team I have seen in a few years.

As far as the Goalies. That's going to be a tough one to figure out after this weekend because Friday the goalie had no help in front of him. Saturday the goalie had alot of help in front of him & he also made some awesome saves.
                    Last edited by THE OHIO STATE; 10-15-2012, 04:35 AM.
                    " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Shocked to see ohio beating UMD. I hate that team for obvious reasons. Heart still aches. So it was nice to see them get beat.

I think all of these high ranked teams losing though has to do with the timing and it being the first weekend. You had Michigan, ferris state, western lose to vastly inferior teams. Michigan only had FOUR days of actual organized practice by with the coaches due to NCAA rules. Not too much time, especially for a team who has to replace the greatest goaltender in program history. Yes, I am saying Hunwick was better than Marty Turco.

Like I said last year, I hope ohio does decent this year in hockey and can sustain it through the season to generate more interest amongst their fanbase. It's not as fun beating you guys as you would think because there are only a certain amount of fans from there that would care if I would brag
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Shocked to see ohio beating UMD. I hate that team for obvious reasons. Heart still aches. So it was nice to see them get beat.

I think all of these high ranked teams losing though has to do with the timing and it being the first weekend. You had Michigan, ferris state, western lose to vastly inferior teams. Michigan only had FOUR days of actual organized practice by with the coaches due to NCAA rules. Not too much time, especially for a team who has to replace the greatest goaltender in program history. Yes, I am saying Hunwick was better than Marty Turco.

Like I said last year, I hope ohio does decent this year in hockey and can sustain it through the season to generate more interest amongst their fanbase. It's not as fun beating you guys as you would think because there are only a certain amount of fans from there that would care if I would brag
                        Believe it or not a lot of us are bummed that again we have no away game at Yost which I think has some of the greatest atmosphere in college hockey. If you can take a win from Michigan on their home ice you really have to earn it which forces a team to always elevate their game.
                        I like your assement of Hunwick who I refer to as the "Little goalie who could". I got the biggest kick out of seeing him in Michigan gear his first night down with the Jackets as they had absolutly nothing in the equipment room to fit him.

Comment

Our sweep at Yost last year was probably my highlight as a Buckeye hockey fan. Of course it didn't end up meaning much in the long run as the season tanked, but you just don't go into Yost and sweep.

Comment

I don't understand why your hockey team has to play in that over-sized arena. ohio should have enough money to build their own men's hockey facility. Even when Michigan played on the road there last year it wasn't full.
                            When did OU get a hockey team? Because my team is Ohio STATE.

I know it was cute and all when Brady Hoke came to town and tried to disrespect by not calling us our full name, and only calling us Ohio. Everyone in Ann Arbor had a lot of fun with it until the ACTUAL Ohio knocked you guys out of the basketball tournament. Self fulfilling prophecy? Pretty sure after then, most Michigan fans wanted to drop the whole 'ohio' thing...

Comment

Originally posted by OSUmab View Post
                              Our sweep at Yost last year was probably my highlight as a Buckeye hockey fan. Of course it didn't end up meaning much in the long run as the season tanked, but you just don't go into Yost and sweep.
                              That ranks up there along with the Title in 04.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post

Congrats to Collin Olson on his first collegiate win. I will be pulling for this kid all year unless of course you guys happen to play UND.
                                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X